10NL - KK raised on the turn

Old
10NL - KK raised on the turn - Fri Jan 11, 2013, 05:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi there,

Our villain is unknown

My first thought here would be to call and re-evaluate river
But what type of hands can he raise the turn with here; 66,22,44 all make sense but can he also be raising with AQ to justify a call? Even when we call the turn, there are no river cards that will force him to check behind. I'm not sure I see any bluffs in his range.

Is this a spot where we should nit out and fold?

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi geo,

This looks to me like a fairly classic Baluga theorem spot.

It's a single raised pot and the stack to pot ratio is 13, so I don't think it's going to be profitable playing for stacks post flop with just kings (might be against some really bad players but we have no reads). We c-bet 2/3rds pot on a totally dry board and he calls. His range here should be Qx, pocket pairs, a few monsters (sets), and occassional air that's floating us. On the turn we make another sizable bet, about 70% of the pot, and the villain is raising. Unless he's really bad (again no reads so we don't know) we shouldn't expect Qx or pockets to raise us, Qx probably calls and pockets fold, floats probably give up (very very small chance he floated with something that turned a big equity boost, like As5s, and is semi-bluffing). So that leaves a range that is likely polarized to monsters and a few semibluffs. And some players just don't semi-bluff the turn as they don't want to get 3b all in here and get blown off their draw, especially so with the strength we've shown in our 2 barrel bet sizing. So without any reads I think we have to weight him more towards monsters. If we call this bet there'll be 7.75 in the pot with 6.20 behind, are we calling a river shove? Yuck.

My vote is for Baluga on this one... begrudgingly fold.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com