Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Pinguhimself's $20 Bankroll Challenge! (2013)

Old
Pinguhimself's $20 Bankroll Challenge! (2013) - Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Hello all,

For 2013 I have decided to start my bankroll with just $20 and grind my way up the micros, starting at the bottom of the ladder at 2NL.

For me, this challenge is the epitome of starting from the very bottom of the ranks with next to nothing, and the potential to grow not just as a poker player but as a person; instilling discipline, motivation and patience and hopefully inspiring others along the way.

Key Points

• I will be playing 6-Max Cash games
  • I will be playing on Pokerstars
  • Starting at 2NL

I am not going to attempt to hit a certain number of hands per day as I find this approach unnecessary and I can do without the added pressure.

I will simply try and get volume in whenever I can.

Technically the challenge started on the 15th of December but I played very little between the 15th of December and the 1st of Jan because of the holidays.

Also worth noting that I did receive a $20 Ring Game ticket on FTP for pairing my accounts, which I then took to some 25NL table and doubled up a few times; sending the funds to my Pokerstars account until I lost the Ring Game ticket.

I was not interested in grinding it up at FTP so I treated it as a gift ticket to risk and transfer what I could over to Pokerstars.

Here's a graph so far at 2NL 6-max cash:

Current Bankroll: $114.35

Current plan

My current plan is when I reach $120 dollars, I will take a shot at 5NL with 4-stacks;

If successful - and I am above $120 - Continue grinding 5NL.
If unsuccessful - and I am below $120 - Continue grinding 2NL.

Thanks for reading.

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
a nice looking plan pinguhimself,

Gl and don't forget to keep us upto date.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 01:48 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Nice plan and great looking graph to begin with!

Best of luck mate

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
Good luck with your challenge pinguhimself & well done on your progress so far Hope to hear more soon.

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
(#6)
So I posted a blog here:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=39362

To be honest, I'm not really the blogging type so I'm not entirely sure what to write.

Thanks.

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
(#7)
Update:

I played a few more hands, and manage to hit my $120 bankroll target, which means I will take a shot at 5NL.

I also received chromestar, which means I can do the weekly freerolls.

Current Bankroll: $120.16

Graph:

Thanks.

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#8)
So I took my shot at 5NL and managed to secure a few stacks, I don't really feel any difference between 2NL and 5NL aside from fewer fishier tables and slightly more regs.

I haven't had to make too many adjustments so far.

I also min-cashed a couple of tournaments on sunday evening profiting about $8.35; just purely for fun, although I don't want to do tournaments lightly anymore as I don't enjoy being up to 3am min-cashing.

Current Bankroll: $143.14

Graph of 6-max cash games so far:

Current plan: continue grinding until $290.

I'd also like to share an interesting hand at 5NL:

My thought's on the hand.

Pre-flop: Fairly standard. Not going to fold.

Flop: Quite a wet board, I feel that at on the flop I have th e best hand, I don't think any of them have AK given preflop.

I opt to check OOP so that I can give them a chance to bet the flop to add more value to the pot then I would 3-bet to take it down and not allow for any flush/straight draws to outdraw me.

Player on the button bets the flop, He's a LAGgy kind of player and most of the time he would bet purely because of position.

This is what I wanted so I 3-bet the pot, other player folds, and he shoves.

At this point I anticipate that he could shove with a draw, so I snap call what should be +EV most of the time against this guy.

He has a combo draw, and a lot of outs. This is more a coinflip than anything. But thankfully my top pair holds and I double up.

Thanks.

Last edited by pinguhimself; Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:53 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
He must felt he had a ton of outs and maybe that he was ahead enough of the time (maybe thinking you raised on the flop with a weaker draw than he had) to make that shove. Nice read and nice results so far.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com