Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Ready to start my bankroll builder

Old
Ready to start my bankroll builder - Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Hi there,

I've never made a deposit on pokerstars and I'd like to take part in bankroll builder special offer.

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helps165 View Post
Hi there,

I've never made a deposit on pokerstars and I'd like to take part in bankroll builder special offer.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:24 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi helps165,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 05:01 AM
(#4)
Hi there,

I'll try to catch "getting started" classes later today.

Here are two of my recend hands, I'm not sure I did ok even though I won that round. Looking back my betting seems off.

This one makes me wonder..... it was temptation, but I'm not sure if it's ever good idea to go all in pre-flop since not even AA is 100% safe choice.

if these are not ok, please let me know and I'd try to find something else.

Helen

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Helen!

With QT from the BB, I'm more than happy to get to see a free flop.
I flop top pair, but don't have a great kicker. Since the entire table is in the hand, I'm going to make a pot-sized value bet here (12). If there were less opps, I'd bet 1/2 pot, but with 5 opps, I'm going to bet more to try to get some of them to fold. By only betting 1/2 pot, I'd also be giving all the opps the correct odds to draw to the heart flush, which is something I'd like to try to avoid.
When the opp min-raises, and everyone's staying, I really need to make a raise/fold decision here. I need to make a pot-sized raise (84) or fold and I'm going to muck. There are hands out there that are ahead of me now and there are to many draws that can beat me too. I'll save my chips for a better situation, either with better cards or when I'm in position.
The third heart now comes and if I'm going to bet, I have to bet, with this many opps, a pot sized raise (would bet 1/2 pot if only 1 opp was in the hand if I bet). Making abnormally small or large bets is a tell for a player's hand and is something that I do not want to do as I want to keep the opp guessing as to the strength of my hand.
The same thing for the river... bet sizes need to be based on the size of the pot. With 2 opps in, I need to bet 2/3 the size of the pot (88). I do not want to bet less, as I want to keep all of my bet sizes standard.

With AK, I have a short stack shove for 130 chips (a 6.5X raise). I'm going to 3-bet here to try to isolate the short stack shove and I will size my bet at a standard 3-bet size, which is to 3X the previous bet. Due to this, I'll bet 390. I do not want to be making smaller raises, as it will give the opps the correct odds to get into the hand to outdraw me. I want to be making plays were the odds are in MY favor, not the opp's favor.
I then have an opp shove on me. Here is where a read on the opp is critical. If the opp is playing very tight, then I'm going to muck AK here, as I'm most likely behind a pair. If the opp is playing loose (a big number of hands), then my AK will be ahead of the opp's range and I'll call.
Whether I call or not will be totally dependant on my read of the opposing player.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:15 PM
(#6)
Thanks a lot John. I have a lot to think about now
I'm trying to read the opponents, sometimes i succed sometimes i don't. There are a lot of players out there who play with about any hand they get and if they get their hands on A,10 they think they won the lottery LOL. So usually there are a lot of loose players.... the problem is that sometimes I get carried away, too. I'm thinking oh he's playing with any trash that comes his way and then..... he happens to have a strong hand. I've always had a problem with betting, too because although I see how you're absolutely right and it makes sense, I'm little coward I always worry.... what if i bet too much and then loose it all. I guess I need to work on that. Thanks again

Helen

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:13 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Helen!

The keys with betting are this:

Preflop - a standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper if the pot is unraised.
If there is a raise, then a 3-bet (re-raise) size should be to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raie

Flop and after:
I size my bets based on the number of opps in the hand and also the board texture, as I want to be betting like I have the best hand and make the bet enough that if someone wants to chase a straight or flush, they are making a -EV play to do so (a play where the expected value for them is a loss of chips over time).
If I'm heads-up in the pot, this number's easy, as it's 1/2 pot. However, I may need to up it to 2/3, 3/4 or a pot-sized bet... dependant on the number of opps and the board texture.

I size them this way in order to price out the opps from draws (give them a -EV call) and to maximize the value that I get for my good hands. Maximizing value on my good hands is a key, because by doing this, I'm able to accumulate chips while playing less hands and taking less risks.

Please let me know when you attend the training session, so that we can then move onto the next step.

John (JWK24)

P.S. By making the same bet sizes with everything, the opp won't know whether I have AA, 77, 33, AK, JTs, or even 27o as a bluff... they're always guessing as to what I have.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 05:19 PM
(#8)
This is very useful! thanks again, i need to write that down.

I attended the training session few mins ago.

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:01 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi helps165!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:38 AM
(#10)
Hi there i've already studied basic course and passed the test. Do I have to take it again??

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:16 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi helps165!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#12)
Hi John,

Today I've lost my buy-in.... at first everything seemed more or less alright. But then I got carried away and tried to force opponent into folding and it didn't work and well..... it was mess. I feel like I'm so useless LOL.

Here are some hands....

this one is where i lost everything...... what was i thinking lol *slaps myself*

here i guess i just didn't want to see the obvious and wanted to believe he doesn't have anything *frowns*

this one seems relatively ok?!

another thing that's been bothering me is that it seems I'm folding awful lot of hands compared to my opps. i don't know if that's right or wrong. especially if playing tournaments, it seems they get ahead of me mostly because i'm not playing enough games..... should i stick to playing really tight or should i consider change?! in cash games, i didn't get too many good hands either, so it seems like i was folding all the time too..... and it seems it makes me too predictable, too. what do you think?
also sometimes i bet and if flop doesn't look good for me and someone is raising i usually fold. is that correct? i mean, if did that too often i guess i would be loosing money just to take a look and that doesn't seem alright.

Helen

PS: going to attend bet sizing class tomorrow, because today's class is way too late for my time zone

Last edited by helps165; Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:48 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi helps165

First hand K4o: Well, this hand didn't go too well. You already know that which is good. Learning to accept your mistakes and learn from them is part of the game

With K4o, I suggest folding pretty much all the time. Moreover, if you are going to play it, then open with a raise. In general, any time you are the first to enter a pot, always open with a raise regardless of your hand strength. Calling the bb raise is not good.

You miss the flop. It is important to notice its texture. AQJ are all cards in the villain's raising range. This is not a good spot to try a bluff steal.

You need to always bring you A-game. You can play great for 100 hands, but one bad mistake can cost you all your profit!

Second hand KK: You were a bit unlucky here. The villain had a trash hand,but got a dream flop. However, there is one thing to notice. At 2NL, if you get a player who passively calls every street, then makes a large bet on the turn or river, this is often a tell of a strong hand. In this spot, with the A on the river and his large bet, I think I would have grudgingly folded. Your bets and bet sizes on all the earlier streets looked perfect.

Third hand AA: Nice preflop 3-bet. On the flop however, the villain bet 6 and you min-raised to 12. This is not optimal. You are giving him good odds to call. Secondly, you are losing value by not raising more. Finally, min-raising is often a tell of a strong hand. Stick to the standard 3x bet size to conceal the strength of your hand. In this case, things worked out nicely for you

Finally, with regard to you comment. If you are playing smart poker, then you should be playing less hands than the average player at 2NL. This is exacly why we can win money from them with our strong hands. I play rather tight. I play about 12% of my hands. Often I can go several orbits without playing a hand.

On the flop, I c-bet about 60% of the time. You will hit the flop about 30% of the time. This means that when I miss the flop, half the time I check and half the time I c-bet.

I strongly suggest staying tight and being patient. At 2NL just play carefully until you flop a strong hand (a set or better) then take the villain to value town by betting every street. This approach does work AND it teaches you the fundamentals of the game.

I hope this helps!

GL and have fun at the tables

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:58 PM
(#14)
Thanks a lot Roland! It's great help, thanks for amazing analysis. You're right about being tight ..... sometimes I just have poor self-control and refuse to see "the signs" LOL. That's when I'm loosing my chips. Thanks for tips on betting and overall play. I'll try to stick to that.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi helps165!

After you attend the live training, please let me know and we'll move onto the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:54 AM
(#16)
Quote:
On the flop, I c-bet about 60% of the time. You will hit the flop about 30% of the time. This means that when I miss the flop, half the time I check and half the time I c-bet.
Just one additional question...... if I don't hit the flop and opps raise should I still continue on? call or re-raise or folding would be ok in that case?

I'll let you know about live training

edit:

I've been going through cash game course and I ran into this.... can you please explain what exactly am i supposed to do when they say call 20?
Call 20

With small and middle pairs you mostly look to flop a set. This is a very strong hand and will likely win you big pots. But you won't hit a set all that often on the flop so you need to be sure that the amount you and your opponent(s) have left is big enough to make the call worthwhile. Our rule of thumb is that you and your opponent need at least 20 times the raise amount in your stacks.

Last edited by helps165; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi helps165!

Roland's off today, so I'll answer your question. If I make a c-bet when I miss the flop and get raised, I'm mucking and saving my chips.

The call 20 ones are that we want to call to be able to setmine, but ONLY if we have 20X the raise amount in both our stack and the opp's stack. If either stack is lower, we want to fold, as we're not getting the correct odds to try to get a set. Honestly, sometimes I use 20X, but more often I use 15X for it (20X is more conservative).

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
(#18)
Thanks for clearing everything up.

I just attended bet sizing live training.

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi helps165!

It's time to now attend the Cash Basics live training session.

Also, study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz and attended the live training session, post back here and we'll continue.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:01 PM
(#20)
Hi I attended live training session cash basics just few mins ago. I'll let you know when I pass the quiz.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com