Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL5 zoom:AA vs aggressive player

Old
NL5 zoom:AA vs aggressive player - Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
This is the first hand against this Villain and I have absolutely no reads on him.
I have a feeling I overslowplayed the hand, but at the same time thought I might extract most out of him this way, since he was pretty aggressive.

What`s your take on this?

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 04:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi Tlirrt,

preflop I would 3bet way bigger to increase the value for the hand and to cut down on the odds that villain gets for calling with an inferior hand being in position. Your sizing pretty much prices him in for a call and he won't make a mistake calling here with nearly any two cards.

Postflop I am not a fan of slowplaying since villain might just take freecards or put only small bets into the pot like he did, which will not help you getting value for the hand.

On the river you are then breaking with your initial plan of letting him bet the hand for you. If you think he is on a wide range and is very aggressive, let him do the rest on the river too. I think that there wont be too many hands he can pay you off with when you shove here - and if there are, those hands could have given you action much earlier in the hand too.

Live Trainer

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 04:56 AM
(#3)
Hi,

thanks for the input. As I read it, you`re pretty much spot on on all parts.

He actually held pocket fives, so river gave him 4 of a kind. since he flopped middle set, I don`t think he`d, be willing to get away from the hand even with shove on the turn.

Lesson learned, need to value bet the bullets higher. Thanks

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
"Absolutely no reads", "he was pretty aggressive". Contradiction?
If you have no reads, then play straightforwardly. If he's an aggro/bluffer, then you can get fancy and trap, but I find that at these limits it's best to just go by the book.
You're out of position, so re-raise about 3x his bet. 45c builds a bigger pot and makes it easier to commit on safe flop textures.
Leading out for about 65% of pot would be standard. It would be pretty horrible if villain raised here (with his set), but I'd probably call unless it was a huge raise, then CRAI on the perfect turn card.

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
(#5)
Quote:
"Absolutely no reads", "he was pretty aggressive". Contradiction?
I see what you mean, let me rephrase: I had no reads on him, since it was my first hand, but I placed him in the "aggressive" column since he bet so fast on the flop even though I reraised him (yes, a very small reraise I know).

Anyway, I got the point and thanks for your answers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com