Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Hello,

I'm new to Pokerstars and would like to take advantage of the Bankroll Builder training/promotion. My experience with poker is limited to play money games and real-life friendly cash games.

I would love to improve my skills and start playing some cash games on PS. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers.

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searene View Post
Hello,

I'm new to Pokerstars and would like to take advantage of the Bankroll Builder training/promotion. My experience with poker is limited to play money games and real-life friendly cash games.

I would love to improve my skills and start playing some cash games on PS. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers.
Hi,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

Bookmark this page so that you can find it easily in the future.

Next Step

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started' live training sessions.

These sessions can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Finished 'Getting Started' - Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:21 PM
(#4)
Hey Raiser,

I attended a Getting Started session an hour ago. TheLangolier talked me through the basics.

Looking forward to the rest of the program.

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:51 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hey Raiser,
I attended a Getting Started session an hour ago.
Hi Searene,

We can see that you did attend the session today. Did you find it useful? Did you learn something from it that you didn't know before?

Just a note though that it was only the 'Getting Started' session that you needed to attend, you will have to attend the other sessions later in the promotion.

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Interesting Hands - Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:06 AM
(#6)
I learnt to use the note-taking function. I've already started using it, though I wonder how long it'll be before I run into someone I have a note on!

This is a replay of one of the hands I played earlier today:

I decided to mix it up pre-flop and raise with a subpar hand. Everyone ended up calling so I was prepared to fold if I missed the flop.
On the flop, I had an open-ended straight and flush draw, so I bet - trying to knock out others on draws. Also value-betting in case I hit my cards. In retrospect, not sure if this was the right move. I was worried a Jack might come out, and I would lose to a Q high straight. Also hoping others on a flush draw would stay in and lose to my K-high flush. Though it turns out that the villain had the Ace of clubs.
The bet on the turn was part-bluff, part-value. I was happy that the other two folded their draws (I assume), but ended up missing the river and losing to pocket aces.
If I had the hand again, I probably wouldn't go in pre-flop in that position, but I'm not sure if I should have played differently post-flop.

Thanks for the help.

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:53 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Searene!

K7 is not even a marginal hand, it's really bad and especially since I'm out of position, this is a muck every single time for me. Trying to play bad hands, especially out of position, which is a huge disadvantage, is going to be throwing chips to my opponents on average, so it's a play that I do not even want to attempt. I want to save my chips for when I'm in position with a playable hand, which K7 is not.
I absolutely would NEVER raise here with a hand as bad as K7.

The flop gives me draws, however, they all can get me into trouble. Low end straight draws are most likely going to get beat by higher straights and if I hit the flush, I can be beat by an A. If for some reason I was in the hand (free from the BB only), I'm checking here and hoping to get a free card. I do not want to be betting and building a pot that I can easily lose, plus I do not have a made hand. If anyone makes a sizable bet, I'm mucking.

Same for the turn. I don't have a made hand, so I do not want to bet and I will fold to any sizable bet.

The keys here are to muck bad hands preflop, especially when out of position and to not be betting without a made hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
(#8)
Hey John,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I think I might be playing too loose and a bit too aggressive. I'll try and work on being more tight-(less aggressive). I tend to overestimate draws and my ability to bluff.

I'll try get another hand up soon.

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Searene!

It's good to play hands aggressively when you do play them, but standard raises help due to helping to conceal the strength of my hand.
However, I'll give you a tip for playing the micro tables (tourney or cash). Don't overdo bluffing. Most of the opps won't know what a fold button is, so it's better to only be betting with made hands (value bets) as opposed to bluffs.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:01 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I'll try get another hand up soon.
Hi ,

Let's move on

Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent fullring real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you pass the quiz, get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
(#11)
Hey Raiser,

I may have a bit of a problem. I was reading through the basic course the day I signed up for this Bankroll Builder promotion and accidentally completed the quiz.

I've read through all of the basic articles already - often revisiting the ones I find most useful.

However, PSO won't let me retake the quiz/assessment, so I don't have a way to get the first $2 buy-in. Hopefully there is a way around that?

Cheers.

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hey Raiser, I may have a bit of a problem.
Hi Searene,

No Problem

You've passed the basics quiz, congrats on that!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

Also, please attend an 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This should help too.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:01 AM
(#13)
Hi. I've started playing some 1/2 cent games. Went for several hours today. A bit ashamed to say that I had some swings and ended up with less than I started with =/.

I do feel I've learnt a lot though. I struggled a bit to play two tables with $1 on each; it's quite different from play money games.

This hand caused me some problems. I decided to limp in with K 10o, which was not a great move. I was happy that it was only the loose player in front of me that limped in and that the big blind called.

On the flop, I thought I had the best hand. The big blind bet, UTG called, and I reraised because BB had been playing aggressively with marginal hands, (middle pair, etc), and UTG had been calling a lot with weak draws.
After two quick calls to my raise, I reassessed and thought that maybe one of them had a made hand, (flopped a set) so decided to fold to the next big bet.

I think my biggest mistake was to limp in with a weak hand out of position. I got no information about the strength of the BB's hand and ended up making a questionable reraise thinking I was winning on the flop.

Appreciate any advice!

I've signed up for a bet sizing live training session on Wednesday.

Last edited by Searene; Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:19 AM..

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hi. I've started playing some 1/2 cent games. Went for several hours today. A bit ashamed to say that I had some swings and ended up with less than I started with =/.

I do feel I've learnt a lot though. I struggled a bit to play two tables with $1 on each; it's quite different from play money games.

This hand caused me some problems. I decided to limp in with K 10o, which was not a great move. I was happy that it was only the loose player in front of me that limped in and that the big blind called.

On the flop, I thought I had the best hand. The big blind bet, UTG called, and I reraised because BB had been playing aggressively with marginal hands, (middle pair, etc), and UTG had been calling a lot with weak draws.
After two quick calls to my raise, I reassessed and thought that maybe one of them had a made hand, (flopped a set) so decided to fold to the next big bet.

I think my biggest mistake was to limp in with a weak hand out of position. I got no information about the strength of the BB's hand and ended up making a questionable reraise thinking I was winning on the flop.

Appreciate any advice!

I've signed up for a bet sizing live training session on Wednesday.
Hi Searene

Firstly, and most importantly, please don't two table for the remainder of the bankroll builder training. Play one table and bring your A-game giving it your full attention. Moreover, buy in to the table for a full two dollars (100BBs). This will make playing, learning and winner a bit easier

As for your hand, you did a great job analyzing it yourself. You should fold K10 in this spot every time. Firstly, you do not have a good prospective hand since your cards are not connected (KQ or 10J), they are not suited and you dont have great position. There are still plenty of players left to act.

On the flop, it is important to remember that with prospective hands (pocket pairs, suited connectors and Axs) we are hoping to flop a set or a strong draw. We are not hoping to flop a pair. Hitting a pair with these hands too often results in our having the second best hand and losing a bit pot.

Nice job getting away on the turn though

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:31 PM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Next Step

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions.

These sessions can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
(#16)
Hey Raiser,

I've just come out of a 'Bet Sizing' and 'Cash Game' course with TheLangolier.

I think I'm ready to move on to the next step.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:18 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hey Raiser,
I've just come out of a 'Bet Sizing' and 'Cash Game' course with TheLangolier.
I think I'm ready to move on to the next step.
Hi Searene,

Just 'Bet Sizing' ... 'Cash Basics' has to be attended again later in the promotion

Next Step

Now it's time to study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz post back here and we'll continue on tomorrow.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
(#18)
Hey Raiser,

I've just completed the Cash Game course, finishing the quiz with 80%, (16/20). I only wish there was some way to know which questions I got wrong!

I enjoyed the lessons, they seem quite applicable and well-thought out.

What's next?

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 09:16 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hey Raiser,

I've just completed the Cash Game course, finishing the quiz with 80%, (16/20). I only wish there was some way to know which questions I got wrong!

I enjoyed the lessons, they seem quite applicable and well-thought out.

What's next?
Brilliant! Your second buy-in will now be awarded within 24 hours.

Use all that you have learned so far to again play some real money games (1/2 cent tables).

Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com