Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Wind of change - my 2013 poker goal

Old
Wind of change - my 2013 poker goal - Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
Hi everyone,

I have published a blog post with my goal and strategy:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=39549

Here is a short summary.

I'm a break even player and I want to improve my game.
My poker goal for 2013 is: Building my bankroll from 50$ to 1000$

My strategy:
1. Learn -
I will use pso and the two plus two forums to read, watch and learn. I'm currently looking for a good book that cover the matemathical aspect of the game.

2. Play -
I will focus on the micros SNGs - 1.5$ 18man, 1$ 90man and 2.5$ 180man. All turbos

3. Analyze -
I've started using HM2 and hopefully I can find the leaks in my game.

Good luck to you all,
Tokbek

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Thanks for entering!

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:00 AM
(#3)
My HM2 30 day trial is going to end.
Although it does the job and has everything I need, I didn't enjoy using it.
IMO it is not intuitive enough, very heavy and I had some difficulties with the first installation and setting it.

I've started PT4 30 day trial period, and my first impression is that it is what I was looking for. Great UI, clean, light, and much more intuitive.

heading for my first in depth 18man results analyze...

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:41 AM
(#4)
Hi,

I've purchased PT4 and have stats for the past few weeks.
I've been playing a lot (for my standards) this month with no progress.
My sample size is definitely not big enough. I have about 80-100 in the 18man SNG.

Although the sample size is small I feel it is a good reflection of my game and match my break even results in the past few years.

What do you think? Can I draw effective conclusions from this sample?

Thanks,
Tokbek

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:55 AM
(#5)
I agree that the sample size is too small. If you want to draw effective conclusions, you need to play a lot more games. 500+, I would even say 1000 to get the most accurate sample.

If you're not making any progress why don't you drop down a level and fix up some of the leaks you may have? This way it doesn't cost you as much when your trying to find your mistake, and when you fix it you can move back up and start cashing and making progress, instead of breaking even.

Good luck with all of your goals

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:02 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
hard to evaluate your progress with stats,hands etc.

turbo games to get your true roi would be 4k+ tourneys - unfortuntaly not many play that amount whilst moving up.

My advice would be keep playing,learning till you see a Posotive ROI

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built-byTilt View Post
I agree that the sample size is too small. If you want to draw effective conclusions, you need to play a lot more games. 500+, I would even say 1000 to get the most accurate sample.

If you're not making any progress why don't you drop down a level and fix up some of the leaks you may have? This way it doesn't cost you as much when your trying to find your mistake, and when you fix it you can move back up and start cashing and making progress, instead of breaking even.

Good luck with all of your goals
I play 1.5$ SNGs so I have nowhere to drop down to, and I dont want to play cash...

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#8)
theres $0.25 and $0.50 45mans you could drop to.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
(#9)
So far I'm doing ok with the 1.5$ 45man and 90man have problems with the 18man and i cant drop down there.
I have a feeling my problem is with short handed games. With bigger fields I have more time to build stack before the table get shorted.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:48 PM
(#10)
18mans are very difficult in the sence theres alot of dynamics from full to short handed tables - obviously you have to open your range more and bind steal more to stay ahead of the field.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi tokbek

It's not true that you have no where to drop down to. You can also play these games as play money.

If you think you need short hand practice play some 6-max play money STT's

Grade. B

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:04 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Hi tokbek

It's not true that you have no where to drop down to. You can also play these games as play money.

If you think you need short hand practice play some 6-max play money STT's

Grade. B
You really think I can learn from playing with play money? It's a low level game where no one care about losing his "money"...

I'm doing good in the 90man turbo and with the profit there I can play in my losing games and keep learning.
That's my current plan.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:23 AM
(#13)
grade b and myself are trying to help the best we can, you understand were your going wrong but choose to stick with games your not beating,why not stick with games you can beat? everyones game is different, each others styles are, its findng a game our style suits.

Good luk on your progress.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:54 AM
(#14)
First of all I really appreciate your help and I'm sure not going to focus on my losing games for a long time.
The 18man suit very well my time and I think its a great place to improve my game.
It has full ring table, short handed, bubble,final table and heads up all in about 40 minute.
I believe that by analyzing this losing SNG I will improve my game even if I eventually decide to play in a different game.
I'm not expecting to build my bankroll in the next few months, so as long as I'm staying afloat I'm good.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:19 AM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2013
wind of change by the scorpions, one of my all time favourite songs.

I too tried Poker Tracker and Holdem Manager after I heard Chew1 talk about them in live training. Poker Tracker wouldn't install, crashed but wouldn't tell me why. Holdem Manager at least gave an informative message (a service wasn't running) which sorted it and Poker Tracker out. I didn't like that they both installed a service and created a second logon user on my machine and installed a sql server, etc. Seemed a bit too much for what I needed. When I finally got into the software, it was very over the top for my little head.

I then stumbled upon Tournament Indicator and I enjoy it very much. It's very simple, doesn't require history saving (though it does require full dealer messages, which can get spammy), and it gives me all I need at a glance. Though I sometimes forget to turn it on. Oops.

I'm still not in the mood of purchasing anything though as my hobbies are so intense yet fleeting - if I can keep this blogging up for a year, it'd probably be a miracle.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:37 AM
(#16)
tournament indicator is my fav programme - id never use hm/pt - TI runs smoothly and is priced a the same amount, gives thesame info s the above mentioned + more i think.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:58 AM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvokeNZ View Post
wind of change by the scorpions, one of my all time favourite songs.

I too tried Poker Tracker and Holdem Manager after I heard Chew1 talk about them in live training. Poker Tracker wouldn't install, crashed but wouldn't tell me why. Holdem Manager at least gave an informative message (a service wasn't running) which sorted it and Poker Tracker out. I didn't like that they both installed a service and created a second logon user on my machine and installed a sql server, etc. Seemed a bit too much for what I needed. When I finally got into the software, it was very over the top for my little head.

I then stumbled upon Tournament Indicator and I enjoy it very much. It's very simple, doesn't require history saving (though it does require full dealer messages, which can get spammy), and it gives me all I need at a glance. Though I sometimes forget to turn it on. Oops.

I'm still not in the mood of purchasing anything though as my hobbies are so intense yet fleeting - if I can keep this blogging up for a year, it'd probably be a miracle.
I'm a web developer so dealing with the sql wasn't a big deal for me :-)
I installed the sql on my home server and i can play from my PC and laptop and still use same stats.

PT4 was much more friendly for me and is a very powerful tool.
It work fast enough although it crashes quite often when my pc goes into power saving mode but never during a session. I can live with that...

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:01 AM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
personally i found 18 man field are tougher and the reason is obvious battle of planets.....

remember....if you playing poker with same/above skill player its gambling....you can play to learn and sharp your skill on tough spot

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
(#19)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokbek View Post
You really think I can learn from playing with play money? It's a low level game where no one care about losing his "money"...

I'm doing good in the 90man turbo and with the profit there I can play in my losing games and keep learning.
That's my current plan.

Yes I do, A lot of our American Friends can only play on Play money and believe me they can tell you yes you can learn.

I do understand what you say but I find with play money its me thats not playing well not my oppenents.

You can adapt to the kind of players at your table with Play money which is an essental skill for consistantly making money in these games.

As long as you are happy in your plan then there is no reason to change it I was mearly pointing out that lower stakes are out there.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
I do understand what you say but I find with play money its me thats not playing well not my oppenents.

You can adapt to the kind of players at your table with Play money which is an essental skill for consistantly making money in these games.
Very good point!
10x

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com