Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Play in small blind thoughts please

Old
Play in small blind thoughts please - Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
This is the $1.10 league qualifier.

Everything I seem to do of late seems to go this way.

Villian is 16% VPiP, 0% PFR, 5.0Agg Factor in 32 hands. Not many stats but it says he's tight passive but gets more aggressive on the flop.

My line of thinking is calling here to hit really strong ie. flush or trips etc.

His flop bet looks really weak and looks like a missed flop, something like a pocket pair or AJo. I check raised to take the pot down, I thought I was ahead TBF. When I improved the turn I raise and then reshove a 3 bet. I think I'm still good here which I was.

I've no problems getting my chips in but I seem to run into hands like this all the time lately. My play in the small blind has always been a question for me. Also as it's a league game should I just rock up and fold?

Should I beat myself up over this hand?

BTW same calling station KO'd me a few hands later limping TT (I shoved with a raggy A)

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey Ovalman

This is a spot I would fold preflop. If we had 2+ limpers I'd tend to call but with just one limper it doesn't seem worth it. We are sat on 22 big blinds and a lot of the time we will flop a mediocre hand 'which we did here' and have a hard time getting away from it because we are so short. Even if we do flop a flush draw it's likely that we are going to have to put in a large % of our stack to see the turn and river.

I think calling is ok if the villain that limped is a huge station/fish but I'm folding here about 80% of the time.

As played I would prefer to check call flop, we have backdoor clubs as well as middle pair so there's a good chance our hand is good and if it's not we can still improve with any J or club.

When we check raise this spot it's as if were doing it to see where were at which is ok but when were this shallow I don't like it. Villain calls us and on the turn he has just over a pot sized bed left so were going to be faced with playing this hand for most of our chips. It makes things easy when we turn 2 pair but if we bricked the turn it would be a pretty gross spot to be in so bear in mind the stack to pot ratio when doing this.

Check calling is best imo because we keep the pot small and we keep in his bluffs.

I'm getting it in on the turn too, I would bet smaller than you did to encourage villain to stay in the pot, half pot or maybe even less, say 275 and shove river.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
Thanks Chewme, bet sizing is something I'll have to work. You've gave me a few things to think about.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com