Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

45man turbo players

Old
45man turbo players - Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi,

Just getting my feet wet in the turbo world of poker, if theres any 45man grinders out there who wanna get a group together on skype etc, then send me a private message, always good to bang heads with other players, much more s learnt that way ).

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
hi Impact, I play the 45 mans, but if you wish to grind, turbos are not the way as you will see less hands by the final table and need to have a little bit more luck in the run of the cards.

But that is down to your style of play, turbos need a slightly more aggressive approach, where as none turbos, a more relaxed tag/nit approach works well.

Value of buyin not really a relevance, just the format that brings home the bread and butter.

Hope this helps you in your game, and if you need any questions answering feel free to inbox me or you can happily add me on facebook and take it from there.

Old
(#3)
Hey holdem - turbos and normal speeds - bot have advantages and disadvantages, i personally think turbos are a skillfull game, and i think if you can grind alot of tables your houly rate will be more than standard 45,s - standards last like 2.5hours - turbos 1hour, dicisions are easier (push/fold)and 20bb stack and under i,am confident with - worked on my game alot this last month to beat turbos, and starting to put it into practice today.

Good luck at the tables

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
I was crushing them since I started playing them on 17th November but I've recently hit a brick wall, made a loss recently and will take a break from them for a while.

In 50 cents games I had a 38% ROI in 450 games. I'm making a decent profit in $1.50 games but it's taken a severe dent in the past 2 weeks down from 40% to 16% and a current graph that is sinking faster than the Titanic. I was/ am playing 10 tables at a time in batches of 10.

I used to think there was no skill in a Turbo, Ace but I now realise there is a sizeable one. Finding the right speed and changing gears in different parts of the game is crucial. Knowing your opponents and working out their game is also a good part of it. Final tables can be a bit of a lottery but there's a skill in these also.

I will move back to them probably sooner rather than later but I want to just clear my head for a while and move back to Limit games for a bit of confidence and clear a bonus on Full Tilt.

I don't do "Skype" but you wouldn't understand my brash Northern Irish accent anyway.

Good luck in these.

Old
(#5)
Hey Ovalman,

agree that there is skill in these, but then again there,s skill in everyform of poker - variance is obviously the main prolem in these ovalman, hence why the volme is more important - hope you get back to them soon - keep me upated on your prgress.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:35 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
It's in my blog which I've linked above but I've also a more generalised Poker Blog HERE which I'll update over the weekend.

I've moved to Limit STTs tonight and might grind these for a small while but there's not a big player pool in Limit and there's a few unavoidable sharks higher up the stakes. At least with the 45 Man games you can play with the sharks and profit but in Limit, the games only pay 2 places and it's a lot harder to cash.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
hi Impact, I play the 45 mans, but if you wish to grind, turbos are not the way as you will see less hands by the final table and need to have a little bit more luck in the run of the cards.

But that is down to your style of play, turbos need a slightly more aggressive approach, where as none turbos, a more relaxed tag/nit approach works well.

Value of buyin not really a relevance, just the format that brings home the bread and butter.

Hope this helps you in your game, and if you need any questions answering feel free to inbox me or you can happily add me on facebook and take it from there.

There's plenty of players out there who grind turbo 45's and 90's (180's and up as well...) for big profits holdem. Many of them are more comfortable and more profitable in turbos than they are in standard format games.

To say that they are "not the way to go" as a blanket statement is just not true. Like many things in poker...it depends. As to the more luck statement...meh,short term variance runs in them CAN be more extreme (probably WILL be actually...),due to the more "push/fold" nature of the games,but there IS a definite skill set to turbos that is real and improvable for a player.

In fact,for more novice players I believe that turbos can be the way to go,as more emphasis is placed on preflop decisions in turbos than in standard games,which leads to,not simpler decisions per se,but more having to make LESS decisions.

If a player is a much stronger preflop than postflop player,turbos can be a great format for them. Push/fold ranging and ICM study being 2 key areas a player will want to bone up on.

I'm more a fan of standard formats myself,but any dismissal of turbos outright is taking a presumptive stance that can possibly steer a player away from a format that very well may be his or her stronger format.

Good fortune with your group guys and gals.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2010
I agree with moxie here there are many forms of poker even many forms of hold em and if you can align your personal skill set with one that suits then any can be a profitable way to play. I personally have made money over the last 700 6 max hyper turbos and believe varience willing it would continue if I were not playing exclusively cash now.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com