Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

The Monkey's Dreams (Time Vault 2013)

Old
The Monkey's Dreams (Time Vault 2013) - Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
So, let's keep it simple for now, shall we?

On December 31st, 2012, I made the minimum deposit of CAD $11 to establish a new bankroll on PokerStars after more than five years away.

My goal is to turn that $11 deposit into $1800 before the end of the year (enough to play $3/$6 fixed limit cash games with a 300BB bankroll).

More details on the means and my madness to come in future posts or on my blog.

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Good luck in your challenge, I look forward to reading the details of your climb through the ranks.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
What to do when seeking hand advice on the Time Vault? - Sat Jan 19, 2013, 07:21 PM
(#3)
So I'm still deep in the learning process, and I was wondering: if I have a hand that I want to get feedback on, I should obviously post it here in my challenge thread as one of my Time Vault updates. However, I suspect that I would get far more (and more interesting) replies if I were to post such hands to the appropriate hand analysis forum. So what should I do? Cross-post? Post once, then link from the other forum? Suck it up and just post here, while languishing in the knowledge that I might get better advice elsewhere?

Just curious.

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
(#4)
For me I would double post Here to keep your Time vualt project ticking and in the relivant section too, Have to say both will get replies and hopefully help everyone learn something

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:08 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
For your consideration... - Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#6)
So here's the deal. PSO Open Skill League tournament, with 10000 entrants, down to about 350 left at the start of this hand.

What would you do, and why?

Last edited by CanuckMonkey; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Remove hand ID from title.

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Very tough hand above. Have you posted it anywhere else in a more specific forum thread? Interested in what other people have to say.

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
(#8)
PSO Open

You're in positive territory, you now have to move up, so for me it's an easy all in.

GL

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:25 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
PSO Open

You're in positive territory, you now have to move up, so for me it's an easy all in.

GL
Fold! points are important but AKs doesn't work well in a 3 way pot. We may be favourite in the hand but behind v 2 all ins which I think this hand is going.

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 09:54 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Fold! points are important but AKs doesn't work well in a 3 way pot. We may be favourite in the hand but behind v 2 all ins which I think this hand is going.
If you check his league rank, you'll see that 1st place is out of reach, so it's an all in. That's how it should be played in tournaments, now is the time to learn to play the right way.

Like Marvin would say "I'm gunning for first"

But Oval, maybe you know better

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:28 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
point distribution is nearly even from 1/16 member left.As soon as you cross those mark just play like a cash mtt.

ak is closed eye push.you need to get chip to sustain each orbit.folding there is like rooting for blind death.
ak suited play well in multiway pot.you cant ask for better zzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by a1379; Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:35 AM..

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2012
I have to agree with a1379. I think because it's suited it gives you that extra chance and therefore it's a shove. Even if its off suit, you can't really fold AK. Your hand is probably dominating one of the villains, and you probably just need to hit a pair and dodge some outs to get a massive increase in chips.

How did it play out?

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built-byTilt View Post
How did it play out?
For the curious:

So yes, I pushed, and got busted out in spite of making trip kings by the turn. (Two of the pocket pair villains hit sets/boats!)

Just now, I checked this out in the Odds Calculator:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...c?sitId=174385

So in hindsight, knowing what my opponents held, I wasn't the favorite to win (by a small margin); however, with the implied pot odds I was being given for my push, it was totally a +EV play from a chips perspective.

Whether it was a good play from a League Leaderboard perspective is a whole different question, and obviously one with many hotly debated viewpoints!

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#14)
So the day after my previous posted hand, I run up against an eerily similar situation, but with a few key differences. No read on the villains again this time, but instead of the heavy pre-flop action from the other hand, I get one limper ahead of me, so I make my standard 5BB raise. Guy behind me pushes all-in, and everyone folds back to me.

So is this a call or a fold? How does it change if this is a cash tourney instead of PSO League?

Also, is there any reason for me to have done something other than the 5BB raise when the action first reached me with one limper?

Also posted in the hand analysis forum: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...050#post388050

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:00 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanphat View Post
Very tough hand above. Have you posted it anywhere else in a more specific forum thread? Interested in what other people have to say.
Yes, I did post it in the hand analysis forum: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...050#post388050

Getting some great feedback from various sources. I hope you find it helpful as well!

Old
Another AK Conundrum... - Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:40 AM
(#16)
Ok, here I go again. PSO League again, this time, much earlier (around 3600 of 10000 entrants still in). Once again, I face a major decision point with an ace and the king of diamonds (at least it's an offsuit AK this time!) No reads on either villain.

I've been paying attention to responses received to my previous analysis requests, and so this time I felt comfortable with the way I played it, but I still wanted to post for feedback to see if there's anything I could/should have done differently.

The hand replayer wouldn't save it if I showed my fold, unless I also showed the flop, but yes, I did fold when the action came back to me. Here's my reasoning on why I did what I did, and I'm interested in any feedback or critiques you can provide.

1) I'm in middle position with a 15BB stack when I get AKo. One limper in front, so I raise to 4BB (3+1 for the limper), which is a standard raise at this blind level according to JWK24's advice from yesterday. Should I have done anything different, considering my stack size?

2) Villain behind me in the cut-off pushes with his huge stack, a giant overbet. Tiny stack limper calls all-in; as far as I'm concerned, he's pretty much irrelevant at this stage. In a cash tourney, I would call for my entire stack, but since this is the PSO League and I don't have a made hand, I choose to fold and wait for a better opportunity. Right call for the situation? Am I right in thinking I should call without hesitation if it was a cash tourney instead?

Also posted in the Hand Evaluation forum.

Old
Hilarious Play of the Week - Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#17)
Ok, so this one amused me to no end. Villain 4 is one of those players who insists on saying "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" in the chat when someone takes some time to make a decision. And he says it EVERY TIME. Then this hand comes along, and I just LOVE his decision on the river. I think he really must have fallen asleep at the mouse there!

I hope you all find this one as amusing as I did. And if you don't see why it is funny, take a moment to think about the board a bit!

Old
A Painful Loss--But No Hard Feelings - Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#18)
Last week I learned about the PokerSchoolOnline Knockout Festivals, so I decided to try my luck at today's tourney. (Technically, the buy-in is a little above what my bankroll would allow, but with a guaranteed $50 and less than 67 players entered, there's a small overlay. That, and I figured, how often do I get to play a tourney with only PSO members in the pool?

Definitely a good time--friendly play, friendly banter, congratulations handed out by those losing the pots, some friendly comments approving of good plays by others. More than worth the price of entry.

I did have a couple of pots where I entered the pot cheaply with speculative hands, and made good folds after having players push behind me--only to see that I would have made trips, which would have been the best hand in both cases, and would have earned me one bounty on the first hand and two more on the second. I just have to remind myself that I made excellent folds, and I must avoid results-based thinking. Easy to do most of the time, but those knockout bounties sure make it harder to forget!

I got busted out shortly after the first break, in 25th place out of 54 entrants. I'm happy to say that it was a great hand, played very reasonably by both me and my opponent, and I got my chips in good on the flop, but I'm sure we've all had the experience I suffered on the turn...

Congrats to barryagrant on a well-played hand--I would have done exactly the same, especially against an apparently over-aggressive blind steal, and there are definitely no hard feelings! Make good use of the $0.25 bounty. ;-)

Old
Hands like this make me love low limit FLHE cash games... - Sun Feb 03, 2013, 01:06 PM
(#19)
It's this kind of thing that can make an entire session look awesome:

I almost folded pre-flop--it is always a bit worrisome to limp a speculative hand and then face a raise and a 3-bet. I wavered, then decided to call in hopes of picking up a flush draw. Of course, I was thrilled with that flop!

With the way the play went, I kept checking the board to see if I was overlooking some stronger hand (although I didn't think to look for a straight flush--there wasn't any possibility of one, but I should have been looking just in case). "No pairs on the board? Ok. Villains still capping the betting? Woohoo!"

Final pot: 65 big blinds. I don't know how that looks compared to a good NLHE cash pot, but for FLHE, that's a MONSTER pot. What a rush!

Last edited by CanuckMonkey; Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Adding final pot size.

Old
Sun Feb 03, 2013, 01:39 PM
(#20)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
If you check his league rank, you'll see that 1st place is out of reach, so it's an all in. That's how it should be played in tournaments, now is the time to learn to play the right way.

Like Marvin would say "I'm gunning for first"

But Oval, maybe you know better
I honestly thought he was up against a monster, QQ was strong enough and it's hard enough winning a flip against that on it's own but we're in a 4 way pot. Hindsight is easy when you know the cards but in spots like this I'm thinking there's a AA or KK out their and we're drawing almost dead.

I said before I input into threads not because I'm always right but to garner information for when I'm wrong. I take it all on board btw. Some of my biggest and best insights into this game have come because of something I've posted when I was wrong.

When I get involved in pots like your last one Monkey I'm usually on the donating end

How is your overall challenge going?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com