Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Zoom 4 Bet Preflop

Old
25NL Zoom 4 Bet Preflop - Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

Villain is 31/31, 38% 3b(18 hands)

Is this a good example of 4bet/folding?

If I call I'll get pushed off the hand on the flop or turn. If I 4 bet & villain shoves, I'll fold.

Good reasoning?

Thanks

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I like it

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
You have way too little a hand sample to deduce that he's 3betting light.
Over 18 hands he could very very easily be running hot which means this could very easily be a mistake.
Without at least 100 hands I would not make such plays and even then it's marginal.

If you think about it, it's not gonna be a very +EV hand unless he is 3betting like a monkey (in which case you probably shouldn't 4bet/fold cause he'll likely 5bet jam or call 4bets light too)

One of my mistakes moving up these stakes was trying to go after these very aggressive players, and it usually ended up with me bluffing off my stack or losing bigger pots against them. The main reason for this is because although these type of players might have some good aggression, they're still playing 25NL which means they can't be that good and will make a lot of spazz plays and bad herocalls.

Just try and get value against them and try to induce action with your big hands when you can (like small donkbetting a dry board into him with TP+)

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:40 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
+1 to what Adrien posted.

I think you are running the huge risk of making bigger mistakes against an unknown by either flatting or 4betting.

The dilemma is this:

You already pointed out the downsides to flatting, but what might be even more incorrect would be putting too much money into pots preflop with a hand that might even have decent equity against a typical 5-bet jamming range (which contains a ton of AK) and then abandoning it.

In this respect your betsizing is a little troublesome, too. When he jams you have to call off 17.5 to win ~33 which is on the edge of giving you 1:2 odds meaning you need only about 33% equity to make the call. Considering that most jamming ranges contain a lot of AK and might sometimes include "bluffs" (Ax, smaller pairs) folding might then be a mistake.

Those are all factors that are so tough to judge against an unknown without any history - so folding seems just about right to me here.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com