Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Zoom

Old
25NL Zoom - Thu Jan 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

Villain is 28/20/1.6 (206 hands)

I call the cbet on fairly dry flop. He cbets 67%.

When he checks the turn I put him on overcards; AQ, AJ, AT, pp up to QQ.

I bet turn as I thought he may fold better hands.

When he checks the Ace river, I check for showdown value as Ace hits a lot of his range?

Thanks

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
He's rarely going fold a better hand on the turn.
The only way you get him to fold a better hand is by betting turn and river here, which I wouldn't advise at these stakes without more reads (turn play and showdown tendencies)
The flop call is ok against passive players that are unlikely to barrel off, which is most players at 25NL.
You're better off checking back the turn to try and get to SD cheaply instead of trying to bluff him off 88-QQ.

Also, this turn is such a bad turn to bluff and villain may suspect you either don't have much or won't call 3 streets very often so it is very possible he checks a hand even as strong as AA or AK here.

On this river however, after you have bet the turn and the A comes, I think it's a good spot to go for a sizeable river bet. You could easily have AsXs, A2s-A5s, some 4xs combos or even AK that didn't decide to 3bet. Meanwhile he's rarely check/calling the turn with Ace high OOP (unless u have reads) and he's likely barrelling his Ax flushdraws on the turn so there is only AK/AA/22/44/A4s that can comfortably call.

If you are not sure whether he'll fold to a 2/3 pot bet, a slight overbet will do the trick. ;-)

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:45 AM
(#3)
Thanks Adrien

Why is the turn a bad card to bluff?

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi carl,

I agree with Adrien, very well said, so will answer your follow up question.

The turn is a bad card to bluff because you're not repping much as this card is unlikely to improve you. So he won't fold 88-QQ... you might have a hand like KQ or KJs but you also might have a flush draw, or a worse pair or float. Once in a while you can have a strong hand like a flopped set that you chose to slow play (so many players are slow play happy), but it's not a big enough concern for him to fold. Also, in addition to 88-QQ, he can have big kings including AK or even AA in his range, as Adriene suggests he may not think he can get 3 streets of value from you with these holdings and opts to check-call the turn with them to maximize against what he perceives is your range to give himself the best chance for 2 streets and maybe a 3rd if you seize the opportunity to bluff some of the time. And he's certainly not folding those hands to a turn bet. So it's a bad card to turn your 77 into a bluff because we'd expect him to call with all better hands.

I also agree that as played, the river is a good card to double barrel as it IS a good bluff card to get 88-QQ out. You could have been floating with ace high or have the nut flush draw, and have just gotten lucky, so while calling the turn with a hand like JJ should be easy for him, heroing the river is not so easy and he may be willing to release now to a solid bet.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienBC View Post
He's rarely going fold a better hand on the turn.
The only way you get him to fold a better hand is by betting turn and river here, which I wouldn't advise at these stakes without more reads (turn play and showdown tendencies)
The flop call is ok against passive players that are unlikely to barrel off, which is most players at 25NL.
You're better off checking back the turn to try and get to SD cheaply instead of trying to bluff him off 88-QQ.

Also, this turn is such a bad turn to bluff and villain may suspect you either don't have much or won't call 3 streets very often so it is very possible he checks a hand even as strong as AA or AK here.

On this river however, after you have bet the turn and the A comes, I think it's a good spot to go for a sizeable river bet. You could easily have AsXs, A2s-A5s, some 4xs combos or even AK that didn't decide to 3bet. Meanwhile he's rarely check/calling the turns with Ace high OOP (unless u have reads) and he's likely barrelling his Ax flushdraws on the turn so there is only AK/AA/22/44/A4s that can comfortably call.

If you are not sure whether he'll fold to a 2/3 pot bet, a slight overbet will do the trick. ;-)
Who was that masked man? ..good analysis imo

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
(#6)
Adrien & Dave,

Great analysis, thanks. I will attempt to digest it fully!

Carl

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com