10NL - river decision with TP

Old
10NL - river decision with TP - Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi PSO-ers,
What do you think of my line?
Villain is unknown.

When he bets so big on the river, I'd think we are not good anymore. Do you like a fold or a call?

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
The most likely reason why this has become such a tough riverspot against an unknown is probably your flopcheck.

I would always bet here, especially in a multiway pot. I can see a few merits in checking back top pairs on dry boards from time to time like deception or triggering bluffs from weak players. However, I would not to it with the strongest hands in my range and not against two opponents of which one might be a weaker player given his stacksize.

Some arguments for folding: It was a multiway pot, he leads OTT and pots a river that fills a few draws and makes some better made hands which kind of strengthens his range a lot.

Live Trainer

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#3)
Hi Felix, thanks for your reply.

What are the merits of betting this flop?

Even against the worst of players, can we expect to get 3 streets of value with our hand? Not too many hands can float on K high flops so we are hoping that someone has a Kx and will pay us on atleast 2 streets.

Old
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I wouldn't necessarily aim at always getting 3 streets of value with TPTK since that depends too much on so many other factors like turns/rivers and villain action. But let me ask the other way round: what hand is better in taking another hand for 3 streets than TPTK? Just the potential of doing it is reason enough for me to start betting flop against unknowns.

Also, the flop is the street with most potential for everyone to peel light with any pair, any straightdraw - and given that you have two opponents with one being on a shorter stack I would definitely choose this street first.

Live Trainer

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 08:08 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO-xflixx View Post
But let me ask the other way round: what hand is better in taking another hand for 3 streets than TPTK? Just the potential of doing it is reason enough for me to start betting flop against unknowns.
The way I'm thinking is that if I bet here there are more hands that will fold than call. I would love to get 3 streets of value with TPTK against a hand like KQ or KJ. But if the turn brings an A/Q/J maybe I'm getting more hands to call me OTT and OTR, hands that would have folded to my cbet (QJ,AJ,AQ,etc.)
You think that is a flawed line of thought? Maybe I would realize more profit playing more straight forward on these levels?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com