Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO League, AKs, Heavy Action Pre-flop, What to do?

Old
PSO League, AKs, Heavy Action Pre-flop, What to do? - Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
So here's the deal. I'm in the PSO Open Skill League tournament, with 10000 entrants, down to about 350 left at the start of this hand. I have no reads on any of the villains at this stage. My table image, if any, is very tight.

What would you do, and why?

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I'm folding.

AKs is a pretty hand but not something I want in a multi way pot. We aren't struggling with chips at this stage and the more people in a pot the lower our expected win rate is.

A cash play is probably a call here (can cash players confirm this?) but this is a tourney and a league gme as well and every higher place earns us more points.

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
(#3)
Thanks Ovalman, good analysis.

One other question I forgot to mention in the original post: what changes (if any) would you make with different stack sizes?

Would your decisions change if this was a cash game instead of a PSO League tourney?

Last edited by CanuckMonkey; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Add second question.

Old
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CanuckMonkey!

The one and only goal in the league games is to last longer to accumulate more points for the monthly leaderboards, which is where the real $$ is. To do this, I want to not be taking chances and to not get my chips all-in unless I've got a premium made hand preflop (QQ+) or I'm sure I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

With AKs, I get a 4X open raise (much larger than a standard raise), then a min 3-bet and a call of the 3-bet. I'm not calling this with an unmade hand here ever in a league. I'm folding almost all pairs here too. AA obviously is a shove, KK is iffy, I'm mucking QQ here. I'm much better off waiting, blinding off to nothing and getting more league points.

I'm mucking this here in a cash tourney too. If I was up against 1 opp, I'm shoving in a second, but not into a multiway pot. If I use a top 10% range for the opps (could be MUCH tighter), even if the blinds don't stay, I only win this less than 30% of the time. If the last 2 opps are top 5% hands, I'm even lower.

I have about 14BB and should be able to find a better spot to get my chips into, so I'm folding to this action whether it's a league OR a cash tourney. I'd need to have much less chips and be ITM before I'd even consider calling this.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:43 PM
(#5)
Thanks John, this was very helpful!

For the curious, I have posted the full hand with results here: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...025#post388025

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I'm mucking this here in a cash tourney too. If I was up against 1 opp, I'm shoving in a second, but not into a multiway pot.
The bit I've quoted above is, to me, the most useful piece of advice. As you can see in the link above, I did push all-in, and got busted out of the tournament as a result. I obviously want to avoid results-oriented thinking, but this one does seem pretty clear-cut even without knowing how it turned out.

I think the silver lining in all of this is that even before I pushed, I had a gut feeling that this was the wrong play. My final decision was the "robot" decision, based on the guidelines for the middle phase tournament play--i.e., a Category 2 hand, with a raise in front, leads to a re-raise of four times the previous raise (or a push if this would be more than a third of my stack).

Upon evaluation, I can see a few things wrong with this reasoning:

1) We are far beyond the middle phase of the tourney.
2) Skill League tourneys require different strategy than regular tourneys.
3) Considering the action in front of me (three players showing a strong interest in playing), AKs is much weaker than it might be otherwise.
4) Any decision where I ignore my intuition and play "because that's the way the course said to" is a good way to stagnate as a player!

Last edited by CanuckMonkey; Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Numbered list didn't work, switching to manual list.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com