Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

STT 3regs great hand

Old
STT 3regs great hand - Mon Jan 21, 2013, 12:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
SilverStar
ok i am confident i made a great play here just posting to hear everyone views as this hand can stir up some debate

ok we are 3 handed not too long, both players were on 5 of my tables stats were quite solid 9/9 and stuff i was like 9/6 i think
ok so 2 hands prior the medium stack crippled the desperate stack

so i then wanted to use this to my advantage and steal from the medium stack until he had nothing left

so my plan was to keep the desperate stack a desperate stack and to portect him for as long as possible

i doubled him up the previous hand and was willing to do this here and pick up the medium stacks chips he just bet

ok now this is where the major thinking came in with the desperate stack all in there is absolutely no hand that the medium stack can call icm wise not even AA so if i shove here im accomplishing 2 things im keeping the desperate stack in as he most likely has me beat and still picking up more chips

unfortunately the medium stack was not letting go of his AQ

would like to know what u guys think criticism is welcome

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi danan758,

I like the concept of keeping the short stack around. However I think you are over estimating the beneift in this situation.

You already have a big lead of 2nd I don't think you benefit enough in trying to squeeze out another 400.

If the desparate stack was really desparate I don't think he'll be opening very often, and just hoping that you bust the short stack yourself.
In terms of fold equity, you do have a ton in this case like you say does the guy really waant to call all-in and risk finishing 3rd. But I don't think AA is a fold.
Because he doesn't want to be in this situation he'll be relatively tight here and AQ is probably a call given how wide you could be. With the short stack allin it would be a very small chance that both you and the short stack beat AQ on the river. And the upside is doubling up and having a real shot at first place by leveling the stacks against you.

That being said, I think it is a good spot and he probably folds a ton when he doesn't have AQ+. 3 & 4 both likley to be live cards

Nice Hand
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
thanks - Mon Jan 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2012
SilverStar
thanks for the feedback

If the desparate stack was really desparate I don't think he'll be opening very often, and just hoping that you bust the short stack yourself.(he was had 1 small blind)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com