Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

The Star Wizard

Old
The Star Wizard - Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
This thread is a submission for the Time Vault 2013 challenge. The blog is here.

I initially deposited $50 to pokerstars in 2007 and then spent about four years losing it. I then pretty much gave up, until the enticement of the $20 on full tilt brought me back.

I was very glad to find the PSO, but bummed that bankroll builder was not on my cards (ha, see what I did there).

I have now completed all the coursework on PSO, and have been doing ok-ish in the PSO League (better than 90,000 other people, according to the stats, but I think playing even just one game would do that).

My goals for this year are to get to a point where I can register and play $1.50 sit and go tournaments and place in the money at least 80% of the time. This would take care of the bankroll building itself. Let's see if I can do it.

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 06:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Good luck evokeNZ.

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:43 PM
(#3)
attempted BronzeStar 10 FPP and PSO League games today, did terribly at both. Quite disappointed. Will regroup and try another PSO League in three hours, maybe.

I find PSO League games quite frustrating as often half the entrants aren't even members of the PSO so have nothing to lose.

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:35 PM
(#5)
Thanks Raiser. Does this mean I've qualified or missed some things? I keep checking the list and not sure.

Last night was quite a terrible run for me. I managed to lose my hard-earned $2 in one hand of zoom (after playing for 40 mins and being up; so greedy, should have just left the table!). To add insult to injury I then went a bit nutty and lost all my play money too. I guess this must be what tilt feels like, just lost all reasoning and memory.

Oh well at least it wasn't my rent :/

Thanks for commenting on my blog. The advice is good, I just don't know why it can't stick in my head. I have so many flash cards and scenarios and hand charts open and the tournament indicator tells me the win odds and pot odds are bad and still I play like a silly sausage.

Maybe my goal should have been simply "to memorise the poker theory and stick to it". :/

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:54 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvokeNZ View Post
Maybe my goal should have been simply "to memorise the poker theory and stick to it". :/
My goal was to try and play better

GL GL Evoke!!!

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:00 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Thanks Raiser. Does this mean I've qualified or missed some things? I keep checking the list and not sure.

Last night was quite a terrible run for me. I managed to lose my hard-earned $2 in one hand of zoom (after playing for 40 mins and being up; so greedy, should have just left the table!). To add insult to injury I then went a bit nutty and lost all my play money too. I guess this must be what tilt feels like, just lost all reasoning and memory.

Oh well at least it wasn't my rent :/

Thanks for commenting on my blog. The advice is good, I just don't know why it can't stick in my head. I have so many flash cards and scenarios and hand charts open and the tournament indicator tells me the win odds and pot odds are bad and still I play like a silly sausage.

Hey Evoke

Unfortunately this is going to happen and has happened a lot to me. When you are starting from such a low bankroll it is hard to be in situations where you can play in a way that protects yourself from bad luck or bad play.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 AM
(#8)
oh hai there fellow challengers. A wee update tonight, nothing strenuous.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's hard to stay focused when you lose seven games in a row, but tonight showed a bit of an upswing.

The Big Game didn't turn out as well, but then again I don't feel as connected to it seeing as that league resets tomorrow. Will start a fresh on Saturday - looked up some strategies for six-handed games and will try those out. If you know of any, let me know below.

cheerio

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 04:05 AM
(#9)
did great in one of the PSO Open League freerolls today, coming 159th. Only 200 points until I get to $1 haha

Check out this big pot and identical hands!

Meanwhile I really enjoy Zoom, but I only have play chips, but I try to pretend it's real money and not let the crazies all-inners to faze me. So far so good, up to 6,000 in the 'bank'.

I cashed in a voucher with a questionnaire company and they paid me in PayPal. If only I could transfer that to PokerStars

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:38 AM
(#10)
Finished 99th in the PSO Open League game today, just short of the bubble. No hands to post as I was playing on the ipad. I do think iPad gives me more focus, even if I do watch TV at the same time. Somehow gives me more patience and at the same time more courage to play aggressively. Though that can be hit and miss as I finished quite badly in the games yesterday. With the latest finish, I feel pretty secure with the 50c reward by the end of the week. If I can add two more sub-200 finishes in the next two days I might even sneak into the $1 mark. That'll give me enough money to play one $1.50 sit and go.

Old
Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 PM
(#11)
Came home tonight to hopefully throw in one last attempt at improving my PSO League score, but looks like it's finished already. The league page says the new one starts on the 3rd, so I get to have a weekend without long poker tournaments, seems unreal!

My final rating this month then is #821, earning 50 c. I played four times a day for one whole week and then once a day for one work week, with three games on the weekend; 47 games in total in January.

Won't have any leave in February though, so I think the maximum games I can play will be 28. Hopefully I can keep the losing to a minimum and surpass the January's final score.

Old
Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#12)
so my 50 c got paid into the account, so it's not a scam

I played a 20 FPP game today and got busted out early with AA. I know it's not a bad beat or whatever, but I'd like your advice on how I should have played it better. I'm guessing push all-in preflop?

the situation: Fairly early in the tournament, maybe 20 minutes. I think it's a turbo because the starting chips were 1500, I was at 1200 but it already meant about 12 BB.

I was the UTG+1 and the UTG folded. I had AA so raised 3BB. Huge stack next to me pushed all-in, another small stack called and was all-in. I called too. I had AA, big stack KK, small stack TT. Flop had a ten so the last guy won and I was out.

Should I have gone all-in pre-flop or folded to the two all-ins?

Old
Sun Feb 03, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
looked up some strategies for six-handed games and will try those out.
Hey Evoke - thanks for leaving the note under my blog!!

Really enjoy reading all your hand analysis, as I'm not a tourney player myself. If your interested in getting tips on 6-max from somebody who is though, there's an awesome tourney player here at PSO named Joy7108 who's done super well in about every format there is it seems.

Sounds like you're really enjoying your new ipad

GL with the league in the new month!!

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 05:09 AM
(#14)
hi all, how are your challenges going? I've been looking around at the blogs and subscribed to a few that I found interesting. The blogging/forum system isn't extremely user-friendly, so I think subscribing to blogs is the best way to not miss any posts from the people I follow.

I am very psyched about the Big Bang promotion, and from my calculations, I qualified for this month's game; though I'm still waiting for the ticket.

On the other hand, consciously trying to finish top400 in OSL this month is proving challenging. I was looking up histories of top finishers and found some 'strategy' threads that rely on time-banking. A lot of heated argument about it, it's like I stumbled into the dark corner of PSO where crotchety old men hang out and swig from musty rum bottles.

I played another BronzeStar FPP tourney today and made 60 c, then used 25c to play a 45 SNG and placed 6th, giving me another 37 c. Chump change I know, but hey it's 100 percent more than I had

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:48 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
^^^
lol!! Hey, congrats on your cash today, and congrats on getting the ticket for the Big Bang for doing so well in the Open League

I didn't spend too much time in the leagues, but when I did, I soooo used the time bank. People at the table would get so mad! ("play trusty pllaaayyyyy!!11!!! zzzzzzzzzz"). Have u tried it yet?

Old
Thu Feb 07, 2013, 12:06 AM
(#16)
yep I tried time-banking last night and didn't really see an improvement - when the deck shows me no love, stalling is just that, and people still call with anything. I fiiinally got a TT at 6 BB remaining and went all in, got four callers and got beat by A7o.

Feeling pretty down in the dumps today about it all. I wonder if this is what tilt is. Just feel like I can't do anything right!

There are 63 people registered for the Big Bang at the moment, I'm very scared. The lowest gets paid $105!!! I'd hate to bust out. So much pressure. Kinda like your AA fold when you saw a team pro at your table; that's how I feel right now.

Old
Thu Feb 07, 2013, 10:15 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Oh yeah, that was super scary playing against those two pros. They weren't scary people, they were super nice, but Andre Akkari's won a wsop bracelet, and had railers cheering him on the whole time going, "vamoooooos Andre!" I guess poker must be big in Brazil?

So that was very scary/intimidating - knowing about the bracelet, seeing all the fans and stuff!

But you know where I played against them, was during this other promotion that was PokerStars-wide called the World Blogger Series of Poker (WBCOOP). A lot of us here at PSO were able to participate by writing a blog here about the promotion, and in exchange for doing that we were given 10 tickets to play our choice of 30 freeroll tournaments. And the tourneys had prize pools comparable to the one for the Big Bang?

It'd be AWESOME to be able to cash in this tourney - but if the luck isn't going our way, or if the players have more experience, then I guess what I'm trying to say is that there'll always be more promotions to come, and there'll be other chances

The WBCOOP, if they're doing it again this year, ought to be coming up soon. Like in the next couple of weeks. I'll try to remember to drop a note if I see anything on it, although the mods here are so fast, probably they'll have something up first

GL GL on Saturday!!! You can do it!!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:17 PM..

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
(#18)
I did quite well in OSL last night, came 123rd. But then today I busted out in 5036 with AA against a QJo. Can never get pocket pairs to work in my favour!

Just saw that my blog is listed in the featured blog on the front page of PSO. Thanks mods!!

Cute pic haha

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 09, 2013, 01:26 AM
(#19)
Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with re-raises when short stacked with pocket pairs? Seems every time I play AA or KK, I bust out.

so frustrating.

Old
Sat Feb 09, 2013, 07:03 AM
(#20)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
bad luck.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com