Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Overpair w/ Set on river

Old
Overpair w/ Set on river - Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012

Just wondering how you guys would play this differently?

I overbet the river to try and make it look bluffy, which seemed to work this time.

(villain had Ks)

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

I think a big river bet is perfect. When the villain checks back the flop it looks like AK/AQ are a big part of their range, and when they call your turn bet AQ becomes more probable, or AA/KK that they checked back the flop to pot control. Since the J is not a scary card for them I would expect AQ, KK, AA to call a big bet without hesitation having taken this line. If the called the turn with AK just to see what you do, they're not likely to be calling even a small bet on the river, so go for big value against the strong 1 pair hands imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Thanks Dave.

Replicated my thoughts in a more concise way.

I was a bit surprised he didn't cbet the flop, but I guess the slowplay cost him in the end.

Goes to show to never slowplay in the micros.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm not so sure about the turn bet (why bet close to pot, when the only hand that you're beating is AKhh?) but I really like a big overbet on the river. Your line would look so weird to villain that he'll call with almost all his one pair hands.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com