Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO League, AKo, I raise then fold to push from behind - did I play it right?

Old
PSO League, AKo, I raise then fold to push from behind - did I play it right? - Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Ok, here I go again. PSO League again, this time, much earlier (around 3600 of 10000 entrants still in). Once again, I face a major decision point with an ace and the king of diamonds (at least it's an offsuit AK this time!) No reads on either villain.

I've been paying attention to responses received to my previous analysis requests, and so this time I felt comfortable with the way I played it, but I still wanted to post for feedback to see if there's anything I could/should have done differently.

The hand replayer wouldn't save it if I showed my fold, unless I also showed the flop, but yes, I did fold when the action came back to me. Here's my reasoning on why I did what I did, and I'm interested in any feedback or critiques you can provide.

1) I'm in middle position with a 15BB stack when I get AKo. One limper in front, so I raise to 4BB (3+1 for the limper), which is a standard raise at this blind level according to JWK24's advice from yesterday. Should I have done anything different, considering my stack size?

2) Villain behind me in the cut-off pushes with his huge stack, a giant overbet. Tiny stack limper calls all-in; as far as I'm concerned, he's pretty much irrelevant at this stage. In a cash tourney, I would call for my entire stack, but since this is the PSO League and I don't have a made hand, I choose to fold and wait for a better opportunity. Right call for the situation? Am I right in thinking I should call without hesitation if it was a cash tourney instead?

Bonus question: how often can I request hand evaluations before it is considered to be annoying?

Old
hey - Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2012
SilverStar
ok your raise was a bit too big
i think JWK24 said 2.5+1 per limper= 420
i like to use 2.2+ some per limper=330-390
since this is a league i think i prefer my smaller raise here as it will do the same as 420 here and still save me some chips
i guess u know how to play after that so well done
and keep posting away thats what the forums are for ill be joining u soon

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CanuckMonkey!

You can post however many hands that you have questions about. There absolutely is not a maximum number of hands and we're here to help.

With AK and a limper in front of me, at this blind level, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 4BB or 480. In league games, I'm not changing anything due to stack sizes, especially early. Early exits in these tourneys will have a large negative effect on my monthly standings, so I need to conserve chips to last as long as possible. This will be even more important toward the end of the month, as I'll lose even more points for earlier exits due to my monthly point total going up. The higher my score is, the harder it is for me to get points... and the easier it is to lose them.

The bigstack then shoves and when it gets back around to me, with this being a league game and I'm still in negative point territory, I'm mucking so that I can last longer and hopefully at least get to zero points for the tourney, instead of losing points.
----------
If this was a cash tourney, then I need to look at the odds. This may be a call, it may be a fold. Here's my thought process on it....
I need to call 1100 chips into a pot that will be 3690 (29.8%). I now need to go to pokerstove to see if my hand has this much equity. If it does, then I'll call. If not, then I'll fold.
The next key is... what reads do I have on the opps? Are they playing tight? Are they loose? This info is needed, as I need to put the opp's ranges into pokerstove in order to see how much equity my hand has.
With this being a league game, I'm going to use a much tighter range for the opps. The bigstack, I'll use a top 15% hand (would normally use 20 as a std range for an opp with no reads, 30% for someone loose). The shortstack however, unless they took a beat to get down to that chip level (where I'd use a 25-30% range), if they blinded down, I'll use a top 5-10% hand.
Using the tighter ranges, I get a hand equity of 32.8% for my AK, so it is a call (although a marginal one as it's only +3%EV).

One thing to remember about AK is that it plays much better in heads-up pots. When in with multiple opps, the value of AK drops dramatically and this is a good example. Against one opp, AK is normally ahead or in a coin-flip (win about 1/2 the time or better).... but... the addition of a 2nd opp drops my win % down to under 1/3 the time, which means that instead of being the favorite in the hand against the opp's range, I'm now losing 2 out of every 3 times. A huge difference!

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
right fold for PSO. let's do not loose the aim of the tourney
maybe ina ring game, or in a re-buy tourney, you would be tempted to call, but I wouldn't recommend neither of those. it is a safe play without a pair.

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi $orinik!

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link that will help to get you more familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com