Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6max, preflop action with AK

Old
5NL 6max, preflop action with AK - Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi,

This is a zoom table so we are readless. Preflop play is my big weakness and in spots like this I always struggle to find the correct way to continue with the hand.

My default line here would be to stack off if villain 1 shoves and fold if villain 4 shoves. Also if villain 1 makes a goofy smallish 4bet I am also folding (only ever seen this with AA in 5NL and 2NL)

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

So my questions are:
1) Is 3betting better than flatting in this spot?
2) What range would you put villain 1 on if he flats and if he shoves?
3) If utg villain shoves my assumption is that he has AA or KK is that a correct assumption without any reads?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

TommyGun

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
Ok, I messed up here a little bit. The stack size of utg villain would make it a very weird move to shove so what to do if he 4bets before me with the same size as I did and what to do if he 4bets to something like $2 when we cannot really expect any fold equity?

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
1) Flatting AK against an UTG raise is ok in my opinion. Readless we can assume he is playing standard (ie opening a tight range), so seeing a flop and reevaluating then is fine.

2) Villain_1 could be squeezing with a pretty wide range, so as you said i'm fine getting it in / 4betting against him. It's just the original raiser which i'm worrying about.

3) If Villain_4 flats the squeeze we are getting the right odds to call, though i'd tred carefully post flop. If he 4bets then we are in a tricky situation.

His range for 4betting would likely be Js+ AKs+ so at best we are flipping. I'd probably fold in this situation and give him some respect.

Once Villain_4 folds, flatting or folding isn't optimal, so I like the 4bet.

Also, i'd probably make your 4bet sizing a little bit bigger, but giving his stack size he'd have to shove to play the hand, so that's no big deal. With all the dead money it's a snap call if he comes over the top.

In summary I support most of your thoughts about the hand, but i'll leave it to a trainer to give a more in depth analysis.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi guys,

I agree on most of what you both posted and I like your lines of thinking. I would also size your 4bet a little bigger since you are OOP against the squeezer.

To answer OP's questions:

1) flatting is fine but so is 3-betting if you think your average NL5 zoom villain will flat worse oop. If they flat enough worse oop and only 4bet better (QQ+) then 3bet/folding is fine. If you don't see all that happening too often flatting preflop might be better.

2) since people will have a hard time putting you on a hand I think that they could potentially be calling or 5betting worse and hence I would call a shove for 100bbs after 4betting.

3) again I would use my evaluation of average standards for that level and if you feel they dont shove light here you can still safely fold since you only invested a call of under 3bbs.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com