Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Value in Betting the River?

Old
Value in Betting the River? - Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi guys,

this hand comes from an early stage of a rather tight 6-max SNG table. When villain calls my open-raise, I put him on small/middle pocket pairs, and maybe AJ, KQ or so. His call on the flop surprises me, could be a float with overcards. After his call on the turn, however, I feel lost and start considering a set or AA.
My small river bet is rubbish and the typical play of someone who cannot decide between checking and betting. It is either check-fold or all-in.
Should I have checked the turn, risking a free card? And what would you have done on the river? There aren't many worse hands that would call.

Olaf

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (6 handed)

BB (t1680)
Hero (UTG) (t1540)
MP (t1540)
CO (t1535)
Button (t1235)
SB (t1470)

Hero's M: 34.22

Preflop: Hero is UTG with ,
Hero bets t90, MP calls t90, 4 folds

Flop: (t225) , , (2 players)
Hero bets t120, MP calls t120

Turn: (t465) (2 players)
Hero bets t270, MP calls t270

River: (t1005) (2 players)
Hero bets t390, MP calls t390

Total pot: t1785

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey PMBG73PA

I like the way you played the hand and I think you are giving villain way to much credit. Their are a ton of that hands villain can call our c bet with that we have crushed like 89+ 9 10+, 22+, flush draws, over cards or Ax and thinks he's good/floating.

I like betting turn because it's likely that villain has some piece of the board or a draw that he can call with. I like your bet sizing on each street.

So the river card doesn't change much unless villain has 69 or J9 which is unlikely anyway as he called a raise preflop.

I bet the river too, with just over a pot sized bet left in your stack I would be inclined to shove but betting out the amount you did is fine.

Maybe it would of been a better idea to bet each street slightly bigger than you did so that we would of had around two thirds of a pot sized bet left to shove all in on the river.

Don't be so hard on yourself you played the hand fine xD.
Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com