Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Play money games

Old
Play money games - Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi all,

This came up in a differant thread.

Is there any value in playing Play money games if you are able to play real money cash games?

Look forward to a varity of anwsers thanks

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I think the only purpose they have is if you are trying out a brand new game, so need to get used to the mechanics of it. e.g. If you were a NLH player, then it would be unwise to jump straight into a Stud or Razz cashgame as they are completely different.
In play money games, players are so much looser (and just downright terrible) in comparison to real money games, that it's impossible to learn hand ranges or the ABC skills required for microstakes. There's also more stupid bluffs where money isn't at stake. In fact, you could be in danger of picking up some bad habits, like limping and calling with hands that are basically unplayable when real money is at stake.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
the play money games aren't so bad when you get to 25k and above which is what i play.... when i play them.

my reason for playing them is usually just i've been drinking and smoking and for some unknown reason am still wise enough not to play with my cash. Other times variance is hitting me and i get sick of it so i play the play chip games instead.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:44 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I would say the only value in play money games would be to show off one's style of play to someone else, either for instructional purposes or to just prove something. u could also use it to try out a new strategy without risking real money.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:26 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Play money as great value, not only is it much more fun than real money with less stressful moments, but players are more friendly and a lot less tense.

This sometimes allows their natural ability to shine.

Yes it is also great for coaching some one or just to practice and show off a few moves.

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
The old hedgehog is biased since he is American and chips is my only online poker medium. Like anything else, chip action has its pros and cons

Some pros:

1 --- No risk to your wallet
2 --- Learning how to play different variations
3 --- Testing new strategies
4 --- Relaxing

Some cons:

1 --- Unrealistic play
2 --- Can lead to bad habits
3 --- No real sense of accomplishment
4 --- Less satisfaction

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:42 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
The old hedgehog is biased since he is American and chips is my only online poker medium. Like anything else, chip action has its pros and cons

Some pros:

1 --- No risk to your wallet
2 --- Learning how to play different variations
3 --- Testing new strategies
4 --- Relaxing

Some cons:

1 --- Unrealistic play

pso games realistic, I suppose it who you playing?

2 --- Can lead to bad habits
3 --- No real sense of accomplishment

Depends if you were to play a pro and he was playing proper that would be a sense of accomplishment or just friends for pride.

4 --- Less satisfaction
I hope this quotes correctly.

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
PSO games are freerolls that offer a cash prize, not play chip game.

I'm American and I play cash everyday or at least the days I can I do.

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:15 PM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2011
cons 3 and 4: I felt plenty of accomplishment and satisfaction when I broke 1 million playchips

But agree with others, it's fun if you wanna play but not in the mood to play real money. You can still play, and screw up freely without risk.

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2011
for playing play money does not make any sense especially with so many freerolls offered on pokerstars.

on the oher hand, playing micro stakes is aslo like play money. No matter what you do, you usally get instant call to anything

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com