Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What is the best play here??

Old
What is the best play here?? - Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
I had just been moved to this table and had no prior notes, so no reads. All comments welcome.

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Tough spot there Joy. For me I couldn't fold even knowing that AK, AQ and KK beats me and would have to shove it and hope the poker gods smile upon me.

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
well, you have set up, wittingly or not, an spr of basically 2.
when you flop this strong, and commit another 1500 (and almost half your stack)to the pot, your in it to win it. with a halfish pot sized bet behind, the chips are going in.
i wouldn't likely put the active villain on KK,AK or you, more often than not, would have seen a 3bet pre. you also halve a blocker for the case ace, making the AQ,AK possibility an unlikely scenario as well.
being as there are 2 aces flopped i would think your opp would think its less likely that you hold an ace, and were simply continuing your preflop aggression, and calling with KJ,KQ maybe even K10, and for sure any ace combo he might have flatted with pre.
get the money in. i think there are enough combos in his range that are worse that could pay you off, but would check back if checked to.
if he has the case ace with a better kicker, then nh.. i think odds of that are pretty slim given the preflop action, and being readless against him.
well there's my .02

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
I think I go all in he and if we are beat so be it but its slim that he has us beat given the flat, and far more likely he is hoping to bully you with his bigger stack.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:04 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
We did not see the turn card so it is difficult to make a judgement but normally it is a shove, a Q or K on the turn might give some pause for thought though.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:20 PM
(#6)
Ship it.

If we're beat,we're beat. But we've committed ourselves to this hand and the single worst thing we can do here is check and fold,as we'll often times be folding the best hand. If we ship and are beat it was a cooler and that's just how it goes sometimes. Getting coolered is NOT a leak,folding the best hand here,were we to do so,is.

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Has anyone noticed how shallow most players are here? I'm guessing this is probably a turbo of some kind. The only deepish stacks are the 9 seat and the SB and I think I personally would be shoving pre here. However as you played it with a min raise, which I'm thinking is standard, I'm not particularly concerned when I get called by the bigger stacks. So in saying that I love the flop and might just check/shove it. Hands that beat us should really have 3-bet pre. If you get no action on the flop then I'd probably just shove the turn.

But as I said I think my preferred play is a pre-flop shove.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:54 PM
(#8)
The tourney is a women's club hearts game. Its not a turbo, but it kind of plays like one when you get into the higher blind levels. I wanted action on this hand, and pre-flop shoves tend to only pick up the blinds. I knew I was committing on the flop, and did shove the turn. Here's the rest of the hand, thanks for all of your comments.

Old
What is the best play here?? - Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:23 PM
(#9)
ChromeStar
YUK!!! I hate AJ at the best of times and I certainly hate it when its off suit even more. Thats a hand I usually want to see the flop on , as cheap as possible.Or not at all usually and especially with these womens games they are like the 10 cent 360s. No flush draw is going to happen and the jack as a kicker is good but not great. I think once you decided to play the hand you played it well and got max chips in , your neighbour there just made like she was chasing something and let you lead. Sometimes we get suckered, at least you got beat by a decent hand not a 10/4which skunked me twice yesterday and an ace 3/off today.

GOOD LUCK

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:25 PM
(#10)
Ahh that's a bit of a harsh beat. I have to say I'm surprised at the passiveness of the 9 seat, would definitely note that.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:33 PM
(#11)
I did make a note, and I was surprised too by the pocket kings. And Chilli, I'm not a big fan of AJ off either, but I was getting kinda short and the table was playing pretty passive. Once I hit trips I was committed.

I would certainly have re-raised in her position, but under the circumstances, maybe she was right.

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
(#12)
When you get this short in a tournament you can't get too picky. AJo isn't a particularly nice hand to play in some spots, another reason I like the shove pre, but here you're in an unopened pot in late position, I don't think you can fold it if you're going for the win.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:40 AM
(#13)
Weak sauce by villain 9 Joy. Played well by you,better than they played it frankly. Not making you commit the rest of your stack or fold pre-flop by them is punting tons of value with their KK. Any Ace flops without a K (which is MUCH more likely,obviously,than them getting a K on the flop...) and they are in a terrible spot.

Their best chance to get you to commit your chips behind here is pre and they pass on it. Just flat by them here and the 2 most likely scenarios are a blanked flop for you and action gets shut down or an Ace boards with no K and they're screwed. I'll never understand why peeps do things like this,but I'm glad they do.

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
I did make a note, and I was surprised too by the pocket kings. And Chilli, I'm not a big fan of AJ off either, but I was getting kinda short and the table was playing pretty passive. Once I hit trips I was committed.

I would certainly have re-raised in her position, but under the circumstances, maybe she was right.

ONLY way she's right taking this line is looking at it from a results oriented perspective. We both know you know better.

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 07:42 AM
(#15)
I see nothing wrong here...just looks like a poker hand to me,

well played by both really, I just wanted joy to win tho.......

rigged I tell ya

cheers joy

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:18 AM
(#16)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Joy,

I agree with the others, with a starting stack of 16bb's and hitting the flop like this, I'm never folding here. The only question is do we shove the turn or check and let a hand like Kx think it's good. There's so much in the middle at this point that KQ/KT are probably calling off anyway, go ahead and shove the rest imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com