Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6-max zoom: AA trap backfiring

Old
25NL 6-max zoom: AA trap backfiring - Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi all,

Back to the tables again with some interesting spots.

preflop: I open from the cutoff with AA and a 32/28/ 12.5 %3-bet player (only 50 hands on him) 3-bets my open and I decide to flat in order to keep his range wide, as I would expect him to fold the biggest part of his range to a 4-bet.

flop: a good looking flop for the AA comes and I again decide to flat for the same reasons as preflop; let him barrell it off.

turn: another inconsequential heart comes in and my opponent keeps firing fairly smallish. At this point, I though about jamming this turn but I decided against it, since I wouldn't expect to get many calls from worse (it would be a bit of an overplay for my hand). I call then with the intention of also calling a river bet.

river: another heart arrives and the opponent jamms into it. without specific reads I was forced to let m hand go.

i. Since I m an amateur in trapping with AA in those spots, should I have raised the flop with the intention of getting it in against a K in m opponent hands?
ii. Is my river flat correct or should I have raised for protection against pairs+flush that my opponent might have?

Thnx!!

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi f1n,

I would actually just 4b this guy preflop. He's pretty over-aggro pre and I understand about wanting to keep the worst parts of his range in, but I would reserve that for stuff like TT and JJ... with AA you cooler everything legit. And as 3b happy as he is I assume you will fight back with some light 4b's, it's good to have AA/KK in your 4b range as well so you're balanced. You could make it a small 4b, like 4.85 to go, which is still very tempting for the worse parts of his range to continue, as well as gives him room to spaz out and 5b light. And it sets a nice price for you on future 4b bluffs if you're sizing it small to fight back against him.

As played the flop is fine but I would either fold or shove the turn, depending on my commitment decision. And with this guys aggression and his half pot turn bet sizing, I think we're ahead often enough to commit and shove. The problem with flatting the turn is we have put over half our stack in the middle without a clear plan for the river If it's a blank I guess the plan is to call off, but there are so many scary rivers we don't really know what to do with... any heart, K, Q, T all don't look nice. It's too much of the deck for my tastes, so I'd have shipped the turn expecting to get called by enough worse hands for it to be profitable against this villain.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com