Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6-max zoom: KQs on bb against aggro reg

Old
25NL 6-max zoom: KQs on bb against aggro reg - Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:01 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi,

preflop: I am faced with a steal from a reg at 25NL with 28/25 with 67% cutoff steal (110 hands on him) and aggr. factor of around 4. I decide to defend by flatting and not re-open the betting with a 3-bet.

flop: a good looking board for bluff catching against my opponents 82% c-bet. At this point I expect to have the best hand a good percentage of the time and I would be happy to call another bullet on the turn with my K high.

turn: I turn the nut flush draw and my opponent keeps barrelling. I flat call once again with my K high and the flush to go with it.

river: I river the nut flush and I again check to keep him barrelling his bluffs or to stack him with a check-jam, in case he holds an A. He overbets the river and when I come over the top he insta-folds the bluff.

i. How should I adjust to such an aggro opponent in the long run? I doubt whether calling him down (playing the guessing game basically) is profitable if he is capable of 3-bet bluffing like that. In this spot for example I was prepared to call 2 streets with K high but I would have definitely folded to a river overbet like that.
ii. Obviously any comments on my play/line of thought, on this specific hand are much appreciated.

Thnx!!

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
A very interesting hand. I actually like how you played it pre and on the flop. Knowing your opponents tendencies and that he is likely on the steal I agree with calling down the flop, the two aces making it likely he doesn't have one, and on the turn as we pick up a nice draw. My problem here comes on the river. Why are you shoving over the top here? I know you have the nut flush but when you shove I feel like you can only be called by hands that are beating you. You seem to know you're good though and I have to agree that against such an opponent I would feel the same in this spot but I think it's just a call. Look forward to hearing what the hand analysers have to say on this one.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi f1n,

Defending by flatting is fine here with KQs, as it plays well enough and he will have a lot of dominated hands in his range. That being said, 67% steal is crazyness, I would be 3-betting his cut off steals a lot, so no problem including hands like KQs in that mix as well since I would often be much lighter than this. Just don't fold to his open raise, KQs is way to strong to muck to a 67% steal.

Post flop I don't like check-calling all the way down with just high cards, I bluff catch with pairs at least, and you don't have enough post flop read for it here. When you check-call the flop you can credibaly rep Ax on the turn, which is what I would do when I pick up the draw. Check-raise or donk out works, and if you decide to donk you have a nice stack size to bet/3b allin should he raise your lead. This line should look super strong and it's terribly hard for him to call off without at least a big ace, he should be folding hands as strong as KK to this action and maybe even weak aces depending on the player.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com