Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Not really "Slick"

Old
Not really "Slick" - Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
How about this?
I thought I'm extracting a lot of value from my "big slick", but this guy called after the flop with back-door flush and the turn with a draw and got it.
He risked all his stack and crippled mine. What do you think?
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Vas,

The guy only has 2600 behind and there's already 3K in the pot when the flop action comes to you, I think we are clearly committed so just shove right there. No reason to give him an excuse to peel light with hands like QJ, QT, QQ, JJ, TT, back door draws, etc. Get the weaker kings in the middle now, no reason to mess around with 3K out there already and less than that behind in their stacks. The guy had to call 1100 more into 4500, I don't think it was a good play by him at all, it was really bad actually, but it is what it is. Most of the time we're celebrating getting his whole stack.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
You've got the biggest stack at the table and villain 5 has made a committing raise. I'd re-raise enough to put him all in so we see all 5 cards for one price, while also isolating him (others are unlikely to cold call). As played, there's a ton of dead money in the middle and you flopped TPTK, so just shove it all in when you're almost always in great shape.

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
Thanks a lot Dave and Arty.
I probably should have shoved as you both suggest, but my greed got the best of me. I was the "big stack", so I tried not to scare anybody out. I dunno if the guy that called the flop-bet would fold anyway.... Bad play as Dave pointed out.
But that's poker. Bad play wins sometimes.
Good luck at the tables
Vas

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoVas View Post
I was the "big stack", so I tried not to scare anybody out.
Generally speaking, situations where you "don't want to scare anyone out" are few and far between. (e.g. when you flop quads).
In most situations, you want to bet the greatest amount that you think someone will call. It is generally a bigger mistake to bet small and let someone suck out cheaply, than bet big and take a pot uncontested.
I often see inexperienced players make tiny bets with AA pre-flop or a flopped set, and then I laugh when I hit a straight/flush to beat them. When you have a strong hand, go for maximum value, knowing that villains are making a big mistake by calling. If you make it cheap, they aren't making a mistake!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com