Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL 90SNG: AKo, flopped TPTK, Bubble Trouble

Old
NL 90SNG: AKo, flopped TPTK, Bubble Trouble - Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I’ve moved tables and have only played 1 rotation. Villain has played all but one hand and is playing very marginal hands.
I saw this as a great opportunity to increase my stack. However I am questioning wheatear or not I should have gotten involved in a hand on the bubble with this type of player.

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:25 AM
(#2)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Stitches,

Why the large preflop raise sizing? 4x is really big for this stage, 2.5 is or even a bit less is much more common.

As played, I would be committed to playing for stacks after putting 20% of my stack in preflop and hitting top/top. Especially against a loose-goose who's in there with all kinds of a wide range, as I think we can definitely get money in against worse kings and draws, and maybe even just a queen.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bubble Trouble - Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:38 AM
(#3)
Hi Dave and thanks for the reply.
My initial thought with 4X was just trying to get this fool to fold. I had just watched him suck out on 2 strong hands. As I am focusing on increasing my ITM%, I find myself second guessing this type of situation often. I became fixated on AK, position and the loose-goose call he would be making.

Stitches.

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
If he's loose, then you can raise bigger with big pairs (QQ+ and maybe JJ+) as you expect him to call. With a non-pair hand, you want to see the flop relatively cheaply. Making it ITM depends on survival. You don't surive very long if you put in a fifth of your stack in with no pair. If/when you make TPTK, THEN you can bet big, as you expect this villain to call with worse.
Your post-flop play here is fine. Villain was in terrible shape on the flop, but sucked out. Unlucky for you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com