Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25 NL 6-max zoom: J9o sb vs bb

Old
25 NL 6-max zoom: J9o sb vs bb - Sun Jan 27, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi all,

This is kind of a common spot for me as I tend to defend too loosely sb vs bb.

preflop: no reads on the opponent, just that he played 4 tables. So like a bb calling station that I am, I flat with J9o.

flop: the opponent gives up the betting lead on an A high board and I suppose that he either whiffed completely, hit some sort of middle/bottom pair or he held some sort of underpair to the A like 77-KK and decides to call one street. According to that, I decide to double barrell to get him off that sort of hands.

turn: another brick, he checks and I carry on with my plan.

river: he gives me some more rope to hang myself but this time I decide to pass. Since he called two streets I m sure that he got some sort of weak A high, or anyways that he 's not one to fold his underpairs.

://

i. should I be going ahead n take this kind of stabs at the pots without reads or let the situation go from the get go?

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi f1n,

Actually I was putting him on A-rag with the line he's taking, was a bit surprised he had AQ, but it's kind of the same thing. He probably figures it's hard to get any value out of his hand from worse (unless you happen to flop a flush draw) on this board but if he checks you'll semi-bluff a flush draw anyway and not take free cards, and bluff your air a lot to rep the ace.

Some players will check/call 1 street with TT and then give up, but it's less likely blind v blind because no one gives as much credit in this spot, and this guy is clearly willing to c/c to induce with top pair (maybe he has reads on you?? Are you running a hud with 0 hands on him?).

You already touched on the problem though. You defend too loosely. It's ok to fold this pre, and if the villain is stealing a lot then just 3b him in position. If you defend by flatting then when you miss you are going to have to give up a lot. Once he calls your flop bet I would give up right there, I don't expect him to fold 99-KK blind v blind and especially if he's c/c with aces as well. If YOU had an ace you wouldn't bet the flop (right?) you would probably check back the flop to induce since a lot of his range will be worse made hands, so it's not a very credible representation and I'd call you too with 99-KK.

At least you're not readless any more, hopefully you took a good note about how this one was played.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:37 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
...and this guy is clearly willing to c/c to induce with top pair (maybe he has reads on you?? Are you running a hud with 0 hands on him?).

At least you're not readless any more, hopefully you took a good note about how this one was played.
I have only 2 hands on him, so I don't see why he would have hands on me (especially given it is no longer available to buy hand histories from online tracking sites).

I have learned enough from your training sessions to immediately take a note after that action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
If YOU had an ace you wouldn't bet the flop (right?) you would probably check back the flop to induce since a lot of his range will be worse made hands, so it's not a very credible representation and I'd call you too with 99-KK.
I suppose that it depends. But in general, I would either go bet/check/bet or check/bet/bet, for 2 streets of value either way.

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:49 AM
(#4)
btw, on a really funny note about note making Dave.
I almost failed to take a note on this case.

As you can very well imagine the mouse fell on the floor along with my jaw. but after some laughing I tagged him the greenest hue of green I could find and took a detailed note of the situation.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com