Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

newbie needs yuor advice

Old
newbie needs yuor advice - Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar
Hello,
so, this is my first post here... + newbie(fish) in poker.
I have been playing poker for around 1 month and I have to say everyday I get more obsessed with it and love it.
I am still playing with virtual money and do not think to play with real money unless I learn some skills and develop myself through a year.

So, the question is: where should a newbie learn, develop his skills apart from practicing a lot ( I know practice! practice! practice! is the key for a success) But beside that what should I do? read a lot of books ( i'm good at reading ) or watch poker TV, or what?

If you have anything to suggest, how I can get most out of this sport ( or some call gambling, which I do not think so), please reply to this thread.. Thanks

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
WhiteStar
hi, new to here as well need advice also on how messages/posts etc are done here , had to reply to newbie to get on here lol

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Howdy,

At the top of this page....you will see live training

A very good place to start,

cheers

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
Howdy,

At the top of this page....you will see live training

A very good place to start,

cheers
+1
also http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...p?47172-Hi-all

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Home Games -> PokerSchoolOnline Community and PSO Live Training
become a member and look out for play money game promotions.

Learn amongst serious play money people and knock out a trainer for extra kudos.

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_abdulla View Post
Hello,
so, this is my first post here... + newbie(fish) in poker.
I have been playing poker for around 1 month and I have to say everyday I get more obsessed with it and love it.
I am still playing with virtual money and do not think to play with real money unless I learn some skills and develop myself through a year.

So, the question is: where should a newbie learn, develop his skills apart from practicing a lot ( I know practice! practice! practice! is the key for a success) But beside that what should I do? read a lot of books ( i'm good at reading ) or watch poker TV, or what?

If you have anything to suggest, how I can get most out of this sport ( or some call gambling, which I do not think so), please reply to this thread.. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillin View Post
hi, new to here as well need advice also on how messages/posts etc are done here , had to reply to newbie to get on here lol
Hi king_abdulla & phillin,

Welcome to the PokerSchoolOnline forum. If you've not done so already, please click >HERE< to find out what the site has to offer.

You'll see in the above link that you can read articles and take quizzes in COURSES section of the site. They will give you a good foundation on poker and with the more advanced courses, you can build on this. In addition, you can attend LIVE TRAINING sessions held by our trainers. Various topics are covered from beginning strategies to more advanced tactics. There is also The Daily Game in which the trainer actually plays on tables with the students and comments on your play. You'll have to join the PSO Home Games Community to participate, the details of which you can find in the preceding link.

To start a new thread/topic, choose the appropriate forum from the ones listed >HERE< and then click "New Topic". You will then see the text box where you can write your post.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.

Enjoy and good luck at the tables!

Lester

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:26 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
You can also find links to all the videos from the pros and the recorded sessions of our live training on this page. It is a good idea to bookmark it so you can easily find it again.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by bearxing; Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 01:28 AM..

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:56 AM
(#8)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyo View Post
Hi king_abdulla & phillin,

Welcome to the PokerSchoolOnline forum. If you've not done so already, please click >HERE< to find out what the site has to offer.

You'll see in the above link that you can read articles and take quizzes in COURSES section of the site. They will give you a good foundation on poker and with the more advanced courses, you can build on this. In addition, you can attend LIVE TRAINING sessions held by our trainers. Various topics are covered from beginning strategies to more advanced tactics. There is also The Daily Game in which the trainer actually plays on tables with the students and comments on your play. You'll have to join the PSO Home Games Community to participate, the details of which you can find in the preceding link.

To start a new thread/topic, choose the appropriate forum from the ones listed >HERE< and then click "New Topic". You will then see the text box where you can write your post.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.

Enjoy and good luck at the tables!

Lester
iggyo put the links in -

It's the Daily Game and Live Training using play money with Trainers and Hand analysers you can ask questions at the same time.

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar
Thanks i will take everything into consideration

Old
Hi - Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Hi,
My colleagues I think answered your question. Just wanted to add some thoughts about moving from play money to real money game that might be useful for you later on.

Play money is good to start with. You can learn the basics of how to manage your bankroll and get some experience with downswings and upswings. Try to grind to the highest play money stakes. The play there is still not so good as at the lowest real money stakes, but if you cannot beat these your chances to be a winning player at real money games is not that big.
While doing this you can try to play freerolls (Hubbles freeroll or Open Skill League). Its a good practice and you can even get lucky and win few bucks.

Myself I moved seriously to real money games when I made 10M+ play money and started with 20 dollars bankroll from freerolls.

This approach can take very long though. But if your main goal is to play poker and not to win money fast (mean gamble) it does not matter.

But if you get bored by the play money donk play, you can deposit 20 dollars and try the lowest stakes of real money tables. If you start winning. Great. If you start losing. Stop and try to find out why.
You can also just open a table and watch the people playing. If you are able to identify there are some bad players at the table that you can beat and the seat near to the left of them opens. Take it and play them when you have a hand and a position on them (do not forget about the players still behind you ).

2NL tables, 25 cent 45 man tournaments are good to start to build your bankroll from 20 dollars.
There is also 10 cent buy in tournament every day with no fee and 50 dollars added to the prize pool.
No fee and 50 dollars added means its enough to be better than your opponents to be a winning player.
At games with rake, fee and no dollars added you have to be much more better because you have to beat your opponents more often to win the fee and rake too.

Of course you do not have to take it so seriously as well. If you can afford it, you can take it easy as a paid entertainment and deposit such a small amount time to time that you can afford and when you lose it you do not mind because it was still worth the fun .

At the main lobby you can set your deposit limits at Request/Responsible Gaming to prevent yourself from doing stupid things when in a bad mood .

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Good Luck

SpaceHiker

Last edited by SpaceHiker; Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 02:17 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com