Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Preflop mistake?

Old
Preflop mistake? - Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
A bit short in the Sunday Storm but not too for from the money. I pick up TT and make a min raise which is standard at these blind levels. The SB, a fairly standard player towards the TAG side, makes a raise:

As you can see I decide to take a flop and my gut tells me I'm not good even though it's a decent flop for me. Is this hand just a straight open shove pre? Or do I make the decision to all in or fold to the 3-bet? Made a mess of this one, I do think I was beat but still.. playing scared I think.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I'd typically play this 3-bet shove or fold pre. If the villain likes to raise late openers I shove. Other wise you are probably up against an over pair or Ace-face where you are either flipping or way behind.

Old
Sun Jan 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
I'd typically play this 3-bet shove or fold pre. If the villain likes to raise late openers I shove. Other wise you are probably up against an over pair or Ace-face where you are either flipping or way behind.

Totally agree.

Depending on reads here it's either ship it or fold to the raise pre here IMO. Flatting is the line I'm never taking as we'll be folding to so many flops after putting in a third of our stack that it's a major leak. Hell the flop you got here was about as favorable as you could hope for and you still felt compelled to let it go. That should tell you something.

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Fadyen,

With 15bb's I would open shove TT from this position. We should never be raise/folding TT on this stack size, especially so in a very fast structure like the storm, and yet min-raising is going to cause us to face this decision a lot, when we get called and don't see an attractive flop. Once we get 3b I think it's far better to go all in now, flat calling is so problematic as when an overcard flops and he c-bets as expected we may not be sure how to proceed.

Bottom line, raise/folding on a 15 bb stack is usually a pretty big spew, and with TT here there's no reason to set ourselves up like this, just jam. If we pick up the 2400 chips without a fight that's great, and if we get called our hand will play fine vs. that range (obviously we can run into bigger pairs but we will also get called by 2 overs which we're a favorite against and smaller pairs which we're crushing. If the big stack is loose he may call lighter, as may the BB who is getting desperate).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com