Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl Zoom - AA. Unknown villain overbet shoves river!

Old
5nl Zoom - AA. Unknown villain overbet shoves river! - Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Both villains in the hand are unknown, I have 16 hands on the villain that shoved the river, he's played 56/06 so far. However the sample size is way to small to make any accurate assumptions.

Preflop I make my std 3.5x UTG open and get called in two spots, the flop comes down monotone spades. I have an overpair and the nut flush draw, I think there are plenty of hands that I can get value from. Worse Overpairs and spade draws are calling a bet every time so I bet 2/3 pot for value.

1 fold and the villain in the SB calls. The J peels and he checks again, it seems a pretty safe card for me to barrel and a hand like KsJx is now certainly calling, I decide to bet a little bigger than usual betting 4/5 pot. I did this as I felt his calling range was realtively inelastic so I might as well go for big value.

The turn comes another two and the villain decides to overbet shove for around 2 x the pot! I'm really stuck what to do, it feels like he's missed a spade draw and is trying to blow me off my hand. Or would he play a set like this as he was scared of the flush and now he made a boat wants to get max value?

Also it doesn't make sense for him to do this with a flopped flush as if he was an aggro player going for value with it he would surely have raised before the river. I don't feel like I'm behind when he does this but the price is really bad and if I call and I am wrong it's a pretty big mistake to make.

Appreciate any help and advice

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Last edited by Croyd93; Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
In my limited experience at this level, when this happens they have it a lot more than not. I doubt a one pair hand is good here. The guy's playing over half his hands preflop, so he could easily have a 2 in his hand that he's been holding on to. I wouldn't discard the possibility of two spades either.

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I fold to the shove quicker than you can say "overpair no good".
It's only 16 hands, but 56/6 is loose passive. Fish with stats like that tend to overbet when they have the near nuts (a boat in this case), but only call when they have a big non-nut hand like a set on a monotone flop.
So if he had 88, he called the flop and turn because he's worried you have the flush, but then the river means he beats a flush, but he thinks you'll call the shove.

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
+1 on folding the river. To call such an overbet I usually need strong reads to make up for the fact I'm getting such bad odds to call and in that case I just need to know or at least have a good feel that villain is capable of bluffing in these spots with huge bets.

You need to be good a lot here and I rarely see this being the case against a loose and passive player taking that line. Even though there are a few combos he might be bluffing with you are blocking the NFD and he could have slowplayed a flopped flush or set.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com