Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Need help to set good goal for Vault.

Old
Need help to set good goal for Vault. - Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi
I'm already thinking about goals and would stay on earth in same time should be goal, witch motivate me a lot.
I do play poker everyday. Follow Cardinal Rule and keep bankroll under control. At the moment there will be 50€, witch I won in live small 2-table tournament, SNG actually (3-th place).

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandik107 View Post
Hi
I'm already thinking about goals and would stay on earth in same time should be goal, witch motivate me a lot.
I do play poker everyday. Follow Cardinal Rule and keep bankroll under control. At the moment there will be 50€, witch I won in live small 2-table tournament, SNG actually (3-th place).
Should I set goal for bankroll twice or triple of my month-salary? My salary is not big at all 1200€ (neto), but there will be a raise for 500€(highest). It means, if salary is 1700€ in December, then Vault goal will be €3,4k. Aggressive goal, is it?!?

At the same time I do understand, that I can't play only because of the money. But we know, that - All about the money - (Meja)

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2010
do you want to play cash or tourney or mix of both, maybe play the tourney from cash earnings. maybe want to get chrome status and play in 5000 Saturday tourney for a month, some small ideas

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoryaaa View Post
do you want to play cash or tourney or mix of both, maybe play the tourney from cash earnings. maybe want to get chrome status and play in 5000 Saturday tourney for a month, some small ideas
Cash is totally different w dif. strategy. I'm mastering MTT-s and SNG-s, there is always room for better game. I played cash for some Million mission and went very bad...

I participate in live training as much it is possible and look forward for any possibility. Last night there was a changing-gear live training. Today tried the strategy and works very well, but I pissed of very many people there, especially Russians. I changed gear down after achieving top-10 in 100K Privilege Freeroll. Then I couldn't kick-off again, when it was really necessary.

I think, that it wrong way to set any status as a goal. Status is a bonus for Our investments, but it does not give actual feedback about improvements.

Bonus tournaments are acceptable and I'm going to participate there for sure.

Last edited by Sandik107; Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:28 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Here are some infos on how to setup goals:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...359#post319359

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...864#post311864

Good Luck

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:35 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post

yep

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:50 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
I think u should never have any monetary goals, i mean u can never control the variance, so set goals that will keep u motivated maybe a number of mtt's per month or maybe how many hours u will study the game etc///
gl

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reversedteam View Post
I think u should never have any monetary goals, i mean u can never control the variance,.....................
Is this just your opinion? where did you get that info?

All professional, all companies will set some monetary goals. The point is to make reasonable monetary goals and when doing so, you must take variance in consideration.

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Is this just your opinion? where did you get that info?

All professional, all companies will set some monetary goals. The point is to make reasonable monetary goals and when doing so, you must take variance in consideration.

I have to agree, that the goal should be reasonable. But the thing is, that it kind a difficult to set the amount. I know, that I'm spending a lot of time in online poker and trainings. But I would keep it under control, so my family do not suffer.

Goal for amount of MTT-s, I have to disagree there should be such goal. I would actually do as few as possible and have ROI as high as possible (quantity vs quality).

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#10)
Setting goals is not necessarily about money, it could be about bringing your BB/100 higher, could be about lowering your showdown percentage........ only you can decide what is important

You need to break it down.
How will you achieve that goal? (description)
What will you be playing? (Cash, MTT's SnG's)
How many hours? (per day, week, month)
How about studying the game? (videos, books, hand analysis)

There are so many people in this goal vault challenge that have no clue about setting goals, that lots will fail

Good luck in setting yours

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:30 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Setting goals is not necessarily about money, it could be about bringing your BB/100 higher, could be about lowering your showdown percentage........ only you can decide what is important

You need to break it down.
How will you achieve that goal? (description)
What will you be playing? (Cash, MTT's SnG's)
How many hours? (per day, week, month)
How about studying the game? (videos, books, hand analysis)

There are so many people in this goal vault challenge that have no clue about setting goals, that lots will fail

Good luck in setting yours
MTT's SnG's w buy-in highest possible under the cardinal rule
3-4 hours a day, everyday (i mean it)
I promise to participate in every live training on PSO and read at least 3 hours a week poker books and magazines.

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:38 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
People might find this interesting ... or not ... lol

But there was an academic who did a study on what made corporations outperform others (From Good to Great, by Jim Collins), and in some of the after-studies, it was found that:

1. Where a lot of for-profit corporations faltered was in focusing to much on money, and not enough of what they were good at, and passionate about, and that

2. Where a lot of non-profit corporations faltered was in focusing too much on their mission, and not enough on maximizing donation intake.

Meaning that like, all of us seem to do our best at money-making ventures when all three factors are considered equally important? Like it's also super-important to be passionate about what we do ... but money should still be a consideration? And it helps to be good I guess

I guess where the idea to focus less on money while playing poker comes from Jared Tendler, as a way to try and minimize the effects of tilt on one's game? But money's such a big part of poker, maybe what he's effectively advocating is for the money to only be one component rather than the be-all and end-all at the tables?

Just thought maybe people in this thread might find that interesting? Or not I don't know ...

Hey Sandik, somebody posted a blog a couple of days ago where he wrote out his process for calculating an achievable goal. It's here: CanuckMonkey
(does nobody read my thread? I included a link a couple of days ago lol

I guess he used past performance (his winrates) to estimate his future performance. But he also discusses why Limit games are his favorite, and that he feels it really plays to his strengths?

It sounds like you've already picked out a game that you really like and feel like you could be good at (SNGs and MTTs?) So maybe the money stuff is all that's left to consider?

If you're just starting out, maybe your goal might be to try and become profitable or something like that? That's what my first poker goal was Or if you're already profitable, maybe your goal could be to try and stick to bankroll management guidelines, or something like that?

I don't know ... I'm not a big goal-setter or bankroll type person - Sandtrap's sort of the resident expert on that, so he ought to be able to help you figure something out. GL!!

PS Why I didn't include monetary goals in my challenge thread - meh ... guess I'm too lazy, youngest born, have a fondness for napping, etc

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 07:47 PM..

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Actually, you know what ... while all that ^^^ in the last 2 lines is true, the reason I chose not to include a monetary goal was because I like being as tilt-free as possible when I play. And using Jared Tendler's method of focusing on game decisions rather than money does seem to keep tilt to a minimum I've found. And a lot of other people have too I think?

But after writing out what I did about people tending to outperform when they also consider money ... I do tend to wonder if maybe I'd have more to show at the end of the year if I set the bar a little higher for myself.

Like, I've got a lot of leaks in my game ... but maybe the people at 10nl have leaks that aren't so different from mine, and maybe I'd be making more $ by continuing my learning there. Who know because I've never even tried. If I set a monetary goal for myself, then maybe I'd have more pressure to either (1) play more and get more practice in, (2) or at least have the incentive to try 10nl sooner rather than later?

Anybody else find that they do better when there's something or somebody putting more pressure on them? Of course then things are more stressful, so ... I don't know ...

Kind of interesting to think about I guess ...

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 05:14 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section and start a challenges thread here in this section of the Forum.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com