Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL - playing small PPs OOP

Old
5NL - playing small PPs OOP - Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi, What's your take on playing baby pairs OOP. Do you cbet as bluff and then give up when we don't hit a set?

In this case, Villain is 17/9/2 so he is pretty tight and I think his range is filled with big A hands, but is there a reason to be chargind draws on the turn?

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi geo,

I certainly bet once here, but when called I would shut it down and check/fold the turn. No reason to continue betting as he will usually have an ace and not be folding it. If he has a draw he won't fold that either. We can't stand a raise, and we can't stand a river bet if we check there. It's just not profitable to keep blasting in spots like this unless the villain is a known floater (calls once light to "see what we do" then gives up to a 2nd barrel).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm one-and-done here too. It's a pretty good flop to c-bet. Villain is usually only continuing with an ace or a flush draw. Even if he has a gutshot to Broadway, he has two live cards which have fairly good equity against our hand, and we can't really barrel any face cards, because he might be unable to fold 2nd pair. The 7d is effectively a blank, but whatever called on the flop is likely to call on this turn card too, so it's time to shut it down.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com