Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Profess Awe 2013 Goals

Old
Profess Awe 2013 Goals - Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey powers that be, please lock these goals into the time vault so I can be held accountable
Check out my blog for some commentary on why I have picked these this year.
Good luck all goalseekers.

1. Win over a decent sample (+10k hands) at NL50
2. Qualify for a WSOP event
3. $10k profit across live and online play
4. Play less than 15 sessions a month
5. Cash a live $1k tourney
6. Make a live final table
7. Turn a profit for tourneys on Pokerstars.FR
8. Watch at least 3 cardrunners vids a week
9. Stay at silver star for the whole year on Pokerstars.COM
10. Get a five figure score

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:53 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Woah! Those are some goal! Best of luck prof!

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 05:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 31, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#4)
Thanks. Already nailed the cash a $1k in Edinburgh, will blog on the live tourneys soon.
So far so good!

Old
Sun Feb 03, 2013, 09:10 PM
(#5)
Pretty hard to be a winner at NL50 in the short term when you find plays like this:

***** Hand History for Game 12627579967 *****
$50 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, February 04, 01:43:47 GMT 2013
Table Wakefield (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 9/10
Seat 1: Glass_of_Vodka ( $52.90 USD )
Seat 6: Gregmac888 ( $32.66 USD )
Seat 8: Hero ( $47.61 USD )
Seat 7: bigarn49 ( $22.86 USD )
Seat 3: hardplayaz ( $118.51 USD )
Seat 4: kilner1977 ( $70.02 USD )
Seat 2: muiejon ( $44.06 USD )
Seat 5: shark58 ( $50 USD )
Seat 10: steelseries03 ( $64.58 USD )
kilner1977 posts small blind [$0.25 USD].
shark58 posts big blind [$0.50 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ac As ]
Gregmac888 folds
bigarn49 did not respond in time
bigarn49 folds
Hero raises [$2 USD]
steelseries03 folds
Glass_of_Vodka folds
muiejon folds
hardplayaz folds
kilner1977 calls [$1.75 USD]
shark58 folds
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, 4c, Jd ]
kilner1977 checks
Hero bets [$1.90 USD]
kilner1977 calls [$1.90 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6s ]
kilner1977 checks
Hero bets [$3.40 USD]
kilner1977 calls [$3.40 USD]
** Dealing River ** [ 3s ]
bigarn49: now i know y this is my first time playing for monney on this site and the last time
kilner1977 checks
Hero bets [$6 USD]
kilner1977 calls [$6 USD]
Hero shows [ Ac, As ]a pair of Aces.
kilner1977 shows [ 3h, 6h ]two pairs, Sixes and Threes.
kilner1977 wins $25.75 USD from the main pot with two pairs, Sixes and Threes.

Managed to dust off all tourney profit in 45 mins

Old
Sun Feb 03, 2013, 10:36 PM
(#6)
Fortunately there are hands like this, which really show the importance of not tilting and spewing away. Around the low stakes corner the fish lie.
Came back from down $100 to currently +$75 and the superbowl got entertaining

Last edited by Profess Awe; Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi,

Try to use the hand replayer tool >>HERE<< at PSO. That makes the hands you post much more readable

GL at the tables

Old
Interesting AK reshove spot deep in MTT - Mon Feb 04, 2013, 06:53 PM
(#8)
Good shout Tommy. Cant do too much with the Party one, however HEM saves it does not seem to go into the replayer with success. Other one is in.

Here is an interesting spot from deep in 50k tournament on Boss yesterday. 40 remain, 12k to the winner, current payouts 150. I have 980,000 villain is effective stack of 750000. blinds are 12500/25000 with ten players at the table total antes are 25000.

Villain who is new to the table so no hands played yet opens from the hijack to 50000. I reshove AKo from the small blind. Big blind is short - has 300,000.

Correct shove or not?

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 08:17 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
BronzeStar
Good luck on your challenge for the year

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us.

Old
Tue Feb 05, 2013, 09:31 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post

Here is an interesting spot from deep in 50k tournament on Boss yesterday. 40 remain, 12k to the winner, current payouts 150. I have 980,000 villain is effective stack of 750000. blinds are 12500/25000 with ten players at the table total antes are 25000.

Villain who is new to the table so no hands played yet opens from the hijack to 50000. I reshove AKo from the small blind. Big blind is short - has 300,000.

Correct shove or not?
Interesting spot there. From my experience villains who just came to your table will never go crazy preflop unless they have the goods. That is why in this spot I would 3bet him with any 2, I used to do it a lot when deeper in tournaments and it really worked. Whenever I got 4bet and had a chance to see their cards they always showed QQ+. Therefore in this spot I would go for a 2.5x 3bet and see what he does. If BB shoves I obviously call unless the villain reshoves in front of me in which case I fold (might be a bit tight but...) If BB folds and the villain reshoves I would actually fold because i think his range in this spot is AK+ QQ+ against which I do not like putting 75% of my stack at risk when i do not have to. And you are still sitting at a comfortable 40BB stack. However I am still curious what was the action after you reshoved?

Last edited by TommyGun369; Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old
Zoom rollercoaster - Wed Feb 06, 2013, 06:17 PM
(#11)
Decided to play some NL25 zoom + NL50 cash on Party while watching the England Brazil game. Win for England and a winning session for me, moreso on zoom than Party, which is suprising since the standard is much worse there.

Still though it was a roller coaster of -$15, +$10, +20, 0, +$15, +$25, +$15 so thought I should look at some hands. decided to post some where my reads were just way off:

Hand 1:
Standard raise from cut off, I know that BB is loose so cld 3 bet, in which case I probs fold.
Could check back the flop, but think I will find myself against a 6,7 or draw more than a better ace. The click back from the SB doesnt make much sense. He might have 2 pair, maybe open ended straight draw. I think it is likely to be a bluff or him finding out where he is. I am more likely betting this flop without an ace so to do this with an ace or even a 7 feels wierd.
Turn I feel like I am most likely up against a draw that is pricing itself just right and then on the river it screams of wanting a call, so now assume it was two pair on flop or better. Have to call when only have to be right 1/5 times and cant believe my eyes

Hand 2:
This one feels easier than the last. Flop bottom set and decent sized cbet given board texture. when I get the call I assume any broadway, possible hearts.
Turn is really a blank, chunky bet as want to charge the straight draws and get decent value from KQ, KJ.
Grim river, on first looking back I feel I should bet, because I think two pair is likely and he will call a bet with that but check behind. Also a lot of the straight draws made a pair so are more likely to check behind than bet.
Have to call to be right 1/4 times as could be 2 pair??
Amazed that called with QQ pre and called the turn, fish

Hand 3:
Here I am floating the turn. Assuming that he folds his overcards and if he calls I can catch a 9 or maybe rep a 7 or 8. I make what is an awful bet on the river, only to receive a more awful call.

Really must update year to date and really must start keeping more accurate records.

Will get back to the AK hand in previous post, see if anyone else has a comment before sharing my post-game analysis.

Thanks

Old
Dealing with huge losing session - Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:19 PM
(#12)
Thought this was worth a post.
The plan for tonight was to play some tourneys early evening, mainly sats for Sunday and live events. Then play some cash as likely to have little to immediately show from the tourneys.

However, ended up down $130 in cash or essentially 4 buy ins. This may not sound huge but I felt like I took a pummeling and it was Friday night when the games are normally softer. After finishing my first thought was that glad I wouldnt be playing cash on .FR after current bonus cleared. But then rather than stew and start doubting whether cash is the way for me, I took a look at hand histories and for 34 hands where I lost +10bb, I only identified 5 that were mistakes. Mainly the mistake was going with a read like this guy will bet draws strong and convincing myself top pair was good enough to call down with versus missed draw, whereas if I considered range then folding best versus big bets.

So rather than over $130 down the pan, I can take action next time regarding still constructing ranges when I have a read. Also rather than fixate on set over set and aces cracked (I wasnt so lucky it seemed) I can recall that way back at start of session I did qualify for Sunday tourney on Boss and my first WSOP satellite of the year. If that goes well on Wednesday I shant be caring too much about this cash session!

A guy who coaches recommends going over hand histories at the start of sessions to get the poker juices flowing, but I much prefer the end of a session so I can draw a line under whatever has ocurred and move on next session.

Old
Good hand, bad hand - Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:31 PM
(#13)
Pretty dismal day, bricked all tournaments and broke even on cash. Couple of hands that interested me in review. One good, one bad.

Bad one first and I failed in my number one priority at the moment – assign a range and stick with it. I take aces and kings out of his range when he flats the 4 bet pre and only calls the flop. On the flop I am thinking 88-QQ and AQ, KQ, QJs probably not 88 or QQ as they would raise? Also I take out the flush draws on the flop as they would raise (I thought plenty of them might 3 bet small and call a 4 bet pre as we are deep). Turn I am thinking another potential set and hope to have it checked through. I decide to call as I think the Qx hands are more likely than JJ. River and in the moment I think flush draw missed ??? I took the flush draw out of the range on the flop. What I should be doing is folding cos he shouldn’t be betting with one pair and I didn’t think he had the missed draw in his range. Also not shoving the river seems suspicious. As it turned out I was way off as he had the missed flush draw that got its straight. I don’t like how he played it, but I hate how I played it worse!

I think this one was good only cos of bet sizing, knowing the opponent and slightly better (although mistaken reads). Guy is a lot passive but seems competent. I bet small on the flop as it is a relatively dry board. He should be more likely to have a ten than me given the preflop action so I make it the same as if I missed.

Turn I make it more than half pot as I expect there to be some pocket pairs and Tx hands – he passive. I also appreciate I get a load of folds from broadway type hands that would have hoped for equity on turn, there may be some diamonds that stick around. River I go around three quarters of the pot. I think I am getting calls from 77, 88, 99 and probably Tx as he’s got an aggression factor of 0.1 If I am raised I guess I puke fold as I see 55 and 66 a lot more likely than KT, QT, JT, T9. As it happens he had a pocket pair (that high ) and was in check call mode throughout so bet sizing got me more. I wonder if the river could have been bigger, given the calls are coming from Tx and 77+, but I think I may get a fold from 77-99 if I bet around pot and I make it more expensive when he does raise.

Blog post tomorrow!

Follow me on Twitter Read my blog

Last edited by Profess Awe; Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:33 PM..

Old
Year to date - Mon Feb 18, 2013, 08:32 PM
(#14)
Thought now would be a good time to update progress against goals as have bricked all online tourneys tonight – running theme of year so far!

Profit is most important to me.

2013 to date:
Live tournaments: +$1119.63
Online tournaments: -$1046.62
Online cash: +$167
Total: +$240

Going deep in 1/3 live tourneys played obviously makes a big difference and means goal 5 ‘Cash a live $1k tourney’ is in the bag.

Really enjoying the cash.

Online tourneys proabably seems worse than reality as not playing too many and most of it has gone on Sats to live tourneys. Hopeful for more positive in March with GSOP and SCOOP on FR. I think the tourneys on WPT (Party) could be good, Sundays seems worth adding, as they add tourneys rather than just upping norm guarantees.

1. Win over a decent sample (+10k hands) at NL50

I’ve played 1273 hands of 50NL so far this year and so far am up $240 or 38bb/100. Will obviously be happy to see that continue. Have not played much NL50 as mainly palying cash on WPT where roll has only just grown to $500. Will be on Betfair in March and starting at NL50. Of course if things have been going well at NL50 it means they have been going not so well over a bigger sample at NL25. Particularly zoom where -$125 but at least part of that seems to be run bad.

8. Watch at least 3 cardrunners vids a week
My cardrunners subscription started last week, definitely see no problem watching at least 3 videos a week. Am like a kid in candy store. I need to get better at recording important concepts to apply, else I run the risk of forgetting what I watch.

Elsewhere 0/1 for WSOP sats, but at least did qualify for a final at second attempt. Dates have been released so extra motivation to get on the Sats. Also hoping that Stars will offer more sats now their name is good in USA. Doing fine thus far in goals 4&9.

Away for a week at the end of Feb. In March will also try and work on:
Better hand range assigning on the fly.
Keep up to date with recording results.
Keep a record of concepts from vids I want to apply in game.

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:33 AM
(#15)
Hi there!

Regarding the hands you posted:
1) I have encountered a lot of donks recently who love to min 3bet the button with all sorts of crap and not fold to 4bet. I do not know how they can possibly think it's a +EV play to call there with K9s like in this hand or something as bad as 64s or T7s which happened to me. Therefore as I know they are most likely bluff raising but at the same time too undisciplined to fold I pump it up big time. Against a min 3bet do not stick to your usual 4bet sizing, just make it 4x or even more because you are likely to get called anyway. Once a donk decides to bluff he is not folding, at least not preflop and I do not know of any regular who uses the min 3bet strategy. Donks also love to min 3bet their monsters so one more reason to 4bet big with AA. Just put in as much money as you can preflop and stay pot commited unless the flop is too gross to continue.

2) I would not mind a bigger bet on the flop. 50% maybe since even half pot seems weak and will encourage Ax hands, pocket pairs or suited broadways to call. So onn the flop you are targeting a wide range of hands. On the turn, however, you need to start targeting a tighter range. Broadways and most Ax combos should be folding for a bet of any size so what is left in his calling range? Pocket pairs and Tx. A stubborn pocket pair in hands of a passive guy might not fold for even as much as 80% pot bet (especially when it is an overpair) and tens are obviously calling too. On the river you should definitely bet big because there is not much more he can call with a 3rd barrel. Unless he is a terrible player he should fold any pocket pair unless he is slowplaying AA or KK (with which he is going to pay you off anyway) so you are really only targeting weaker tens. Imho a hand like KT or QT is probably willing to call a pretty sizable bet so there is no reason not to bet something close to pot. I highly doubt that any T other than AT is going to raise your big bet on the river so if you get raises you can easily throw your hand away against a passive player. A smaller bet might encourage weaker tens to raise you thinking you have an overpair (which is probably not the case with this guy)

Good luck at the tables

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:42 PM
(#16)
Hey Tommy

Thanks for the input. Hand 1 is interesting, I make a poor river call that then gives a lot of information I wouldn’t normally see. I think it is a wide range he min 3bets on the button and ultimately I am happy to be 4 betting a size that I think gets some folds but keeps in the speculative stuff like here. If he is playing this hand this way then I am definitely wanting to keep his suited rubbish in the hand, I feel like 4x would be too much.
The hand:

Hand 2 I was pleased because varying bet sizes to the extent seen in the hand is relatively new for me. I was mistakenly consistent in my bet sizing previously. I think it is tough to know what is the most profitable line here. We both have close to top of our wide ranges on the flop. I think I want a small c-bet because it is both a dry board and don’t think it being more likely to hit his range, should effect that too much. I may play with this hand in flopzilla and report back.
The hand:

I am intending on writing a blog post on the differences between zoom and normal cash. So thought I would play a little normal NL25. It did not help the argument I am forming though as I was up a buy in on Zoom NL25 and down two buy ins on the regular full ring

If anyone wants to feel a little better about their results, I see that I am -$405 on Stars.com so far this year. Hoping to run better in March!

Old
Back with a ... - Thu Mar 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#17)
After 12 days with no poker, finally got back to the tables. If I was worried that I might have forgotten what I was doing or it would take a while to get back into rhythm I should not have worried.

Familiar story of bricked all five tourneys, AK<AJ close to money on the biggest one.
Made up for it with some cash, but still spewed away a bit, when i chose not to believe a turn check raise or c/c, c/c, lead out line at NL25 = silly.

Some FCOOP and GSOP tourneys over the weekend, so hopefully will be able to turn the tourney form around!

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#18)
I wouldnt normally play on Saturday night. Until late the cash games arent great. late though and they tend to attract some fish. There was a nice FCOOP tourney though so played cash alongside that and a few sats.
Most of the cash was at NL50 on Party cos spotted some fish. I am between NL25 and NL50 on Party and notice the difference as two fish on a table at NL50 is a good deal. Ran really bad but was still up half a buy in at end of session. Also went pretty deep in the FCOOP tourney mainly thanks to this hand. Pause when he shoves and assign a range:

Anyone saw that one coming?

Really hoping that a decent tourney session tonight gets something going.

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 07:53 PM
(#19)
Pretty wretched Sunday Grind. Min-cashed a couple so down a bit overall. Got heads up in a WSOP qualifier and as for many of the tourneys shoved into villain calling range.
More tomorrow for my sins.

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:54 PM
(#20)
lol think I might be running bad in tourneys.
1. In an online day 1 for a live tourney got it in with a set of 8s vs set of 7s on turn and he hit the one out
2. In a tourney where final table is televised AA<KJ for a top three stack with two tables left
3. lose a flip and left with two antes, win a bunch of hands and still bust out before the bubble.

At least was up playing Zoom.

Couple of glad days off!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com