Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Armourtin's Bankroll Builder

Old
Thumbs up
[JK] Armourtin's Bankroll Builder - Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Greetings from South Africa

I heard about PokerSchoolOnline from various web-pages was finding out how to start playing online. Since then I have been wandering around the various pages on offer here and also tried a number of hands and tournaments via the PS client already - with mixed results.
So I have gotten my feet wet, but not yet committed real money to the cause

I did complete Poker Basics but have not yet used the ticket on offer as I wanted to make sure I put it to good use ! I also haven't deposited yet as I wanted to ensure I could use the deposit code properly when I did.

So that is why I am here - to learn the ropes and see just how far I can go in becoming a professional player.

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 05:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Question
Two hands to ponder - Thu Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 AM
(#4)
Hello again.

Due to time-zones I stayed up till 3AM for the Basics session with Dave (TheLangolier). It was most informative with the most interesting thing for me being the "Notes" section - I had not tried that nor realised the software made it so easy to keep track of people you have played against. Nice feature indeed .

Here are two hands I played recently, highlighting a problem I am having with the suggested early strategies not always working out. I have included some commentary so you can pick up what I am thinking.
( Preview Post doesn't show any formatting so I hope this comes out okay )

[*] Kh-Ah middle position and a few early callers. Suggested strategy is to raise, which I do, at the client-default (min raise?).

[*] Unhappily an all-in by the dealer is then followed by a big raise from UTG. So I bail as I am a little short-stacked and don't want to tangle just yet.

[*] Dealer was bluffing so badly a higher raise would not have mattered, but UTG had A-7 off suite - speculative at best.

[*] As it happens, I would have been nicely set with trip kings, but at least I was still alive after the hand.

This next one is an example of what I see often - top hole cards whipped by community cards.
I have also experienced this multiple times with maniacs going all-in before the flop with middle unsuited connectors.

[*] Suggested strategy is to raise, which I do, at the client suggested 2BB.

[*] I am short-stacked and UTG so K-K looks like a godsend when it arrives.

[*] Perhaps this should have been higher, but everyone folds as hoped, except for small blind who called.

[*] SB joined the table the previous hand and had been spewing hate at the big stack via chat, so no read on him yet.

[*] BB called as well for a cheap flop, which looks innocuous but SB min-raises, having flopped a low pair.
[*] BB folds and I move all in, apparently still dominating . . . but the turn gives SB two pair and so I am out .

Last edited by Armourtin; Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: [LIST] formatting not working

Old
Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

You have to specifically attend the 'Getting Started' live training session. Any other ones will not count. Also, these two hands look like tournament hands. I'll be more than happy to go thru them for you, but since tournament strategy is totally different from cash game strategy, they won't count for the promotion either. The items in this promotion are specific and playing any other type of cash game other than a FULL RING 1/2 cent NL table once you receive a buy-in, will make you ineligible for any further buy-ins from this promotion.
Please attend the Getting Started live training and play the play money full ring tables and post a hand that you had problems in from the play money cash table.

----
With AK, is this a regular tournament or a league game? They will have totally different strategies and BOTH will be different from a cash game.
In a league game, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With one limper, I'll raise to 4BB or 600. In league games, the one and only goal is to last as long as possible to accumulate league points for the monthly leaderboard, so I do not want to take any chances. In a league game, without a made hand, I'm not putting my chips all-in preflop without a premium made hand (QQ, KK, AA).

If this is not a league game, since a standard raise is to 1/3 my stack, I'm pot-committed, so I will need to shove or fold. Unless the limper is known to be extremely tight, I'm shoving.

One thing that you will never see me do (unless I mis-click) is to min raise. Min raising gives the opps the correct odds to beat me and that is something that I do not want to do. I will make standard bets and raises all the time both preflop and post-flop. Preflop, I will raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper if there are no previous raises. If someone has raised, I'll raise to between 3X their bet and a pot-sized raise.
----------
With KK and this few chips, I don't care what type of game I'm playing. I'm making a std raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. However, a standard raise is over 1/2 my stack, so I'm open-shoving KK here 100% of the time.
By not immediately shoving this small of a stack, the opp was getting the correct odds to try to outdraw me with KK... and they did. In this type of case, since I let the opp have the correct odds to draw to beat me, it's my own fault that I lost the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 31, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

With the live training being cancelled today, here's a link to a youtube video of it. You can watch it instead. Please let me know when you do so.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Basics - Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:23 AM
(#7)
Hiya John.

Apologies for not being clear enough. Yes, I specifically stayed up until 3AM (EET) to attend the 'Getting Started with Pokerstars' training session - it was hosted by Dave (TheLangolier). I had some interaction with him via chat - he was asking who was specifically sent there due to the Bankroll Builder promo. I also had a question for him on themes, which he didn't really expand on as he had to host a "Cash Basics" session immediately after the "Getting Started" session.

I have watched your youtube video for good measure as well.
It is Dave's presentation (he uses the classic theme) and covers operating the client correctly with specific focus on posting hand histories. (3 ways to get them)

Hope this clears things up in this regard.
Robin.

Last edited by Armourtin; Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: Dave screenshots theme

Old
Hand Analysis - Fri Feb 01, 2013, 04:30 AM
(#8)
Hi John.
Here's a hand from a 1/2 Play Money, No Limit Hold'em full ring table.

Holding QQ on the button, it has a similar feel to the KK hand above, but based on your previous analysis, I was much more aggressive with the betting, even doubling the initial suggested bet to indicate strength. SB is the big stack and quickly replies by raising over 3x my bet (why?!).
UTG is short-stacked and goes all-in, CO folds.

So now what should I do - my instinct screams "pay day" despite the opposition so following the tight-aggressive policy, I go all-in. I still think this the correct call despite the risks, considering position and hole-cards. In the face of such an over-call, I was expecting SB to fold, but he doesn't.
Luckily for him, he pairs his A-7 on the flop.

Should I, perhaps, have exercised more caution by going passive and just calling ? Hmmnnnn .... no - I would probably play it exactly the same next time, to me this is simply luck of the draw as they say

Old
Fri Feb 01, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

The key is standard bets. Ones that are too low or too high turn a player's cards face up. By doubling the standard bet, it screams monster hand to the opps.

With QQ, or any other hand that I want to raise with, I will make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With two limpers, I will raise to 5BB or 10.
I now get an abnormally large bet from the SB and a call that puts another opp all-in. This type of betting is going to send off alarm bells to me. QQ is a made hand, but can easily be beat if an A or a K hit the board. Due to this, since I'm in position, I'm calling this raise and re-evaluating on the flop. If I did re-raise, I'd once again make a standard raise and would raise to between 3X the opp's bet (288) and a pot-sized raise (291). I do NOT want to make an abnormally large raise and shove, because a shove should only get called by a hand that has me beat.

If I saw the flop by calling, the pot would be 269 chips and on the flop I'd lead out for 1/2 pot (135). If I'm raised, then I'm mucking my QQ as the opp most likely has a pair of aces. If I'm called, then I'm check/folding the turn and river if I do not improve my hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 01, 2013, 01:48 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Question
Interim update - Tue Feb 05, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#11)
Hi there.
I am still busy with the course and have got to where I need to attend Bet Sizing live training. I will need to plan a night where I can attend the 15:20 ET course - that is only 22:00 this side of the world, cause the 3AM version is a killer

A question about one of the course pages: Poker-Position-Overview
"On most of the betting rounds (and all of those post-flop) the dealer is the last person to act, ..."

Is this correct ?
AFAIK the person who is first to act post-flop, post turn and post river is the last person to put money into the pot. Action then moves clockwise from there.

Last edited by Armourtin; Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:59 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

It is correct that the dealer acts last on most streets.

Preflop, UTG acts first and the BB acts last. On the flop, turn and river, the SB acts first and the dealer always acts last. This gives the dealer an advantage, as they get to see how the other players react, before they have to make a decision.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Poker Basic course quiz passed - Mon Feb 11, 2013, 07:55 AM
(#13)
Hello again.
I have passed the basic quiz.

It would have been interesting to be able to see which questions I got wrong in order to check for leaks in understanding - or to be able to retake the quiz, but no matter

Robin.

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

This can take up to 24 hrs for it to register in our system (and it hasn't yet). As soon as it shows up, we'll move onto the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 05:17 AM
(#15)
Hey John. How will we know when it shows up ?
I have been going to Cashier -> Summary for the last few days and expecting to see it listed under Account Status : Real Money. Is this the correct place to be looking ?

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:43 PM
(#17)
Hi John.

The first buy-in has reflected and been put to good use
Training is scheduled for Wednesday.

A question about calculating outs when you need two cards to hit your draw, does the standard calculation methodology still apply ?
For example, I hold AJo. The flop gives me xxT.
Can I still say I have 8outs, 4Q+4K . . . surely that should be halved because I need _both_ of them to come up. ?

Or in this case, do I not have any outs at all actually ?

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Armourtin!

Outs are when you can catch a card to get to your made hand. For something where I need runner/runner, I count that as 0 until I'm only one card from having a made hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Angry
Lost it all againl - Fri Feb 22, 2013, 04:31 AM
(#19)
I had been doing okay, nearly trebled the bankroll, but recently lost a few coin-flips and my confidence along with it.
Then this classic situation was the last straw.

Villain_1 was variable in earlier hands, seen to be taking some chances and the odd bluff revealed, so this standard 3BB bet mid-position didn't raise any alarms and I doubled him to 12, SB called.
He three-bet to 36 and I called, SB called. (risky move 1)
Flop 99T, SB all-in 48, Villain all-in 1.91, I eventually call (now very highly risky move 2)

And so I lost the bankroll.

Maybe I should have run away earlier, especially after the second all-in . . . but that is how I had been playing recently and my stack got wittled away with those scaredy-cat plays. Often I end up having to match large bets pre-flop when I have something good to work - so as not to continually fold orbit after orbit.
The problem is that so very often when I do try to stand my ground, unless the flop is amazing, I end up folding to major aggression.
Mostly the flop is dry - for me at least, so fold is the best option.

Last edited by Armourtin; Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 04:42 AM..

Old
Bet Sizing attended - Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#20)
Hi John.
I completed the Bet Sizing session. Was held by TheLangolier as an extension to Basics - ChewMe1 had to cancel, so he merged the two training sessions.

One thing it highlighted was to raise 5-6xBB when opening the betting with a big pair. It would not have helped my previous hand as posted, but is more than I normally would have, being content with the standard 3-4xBB opening bet to keep the bet/raise size consistent to avoid leaking information.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com