Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl JJ - Thin value on the river?

Old
5nl JJ - Thin value on the river? - Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The villain is a relatively unknown player he is 4 tabling and over 20 hands is playing 17/17/16.7 AF - 1.0.

Preflop I decided not to 4bet I think this may have been a mistake as playing OOP without initiative is probably abigger mistake than if I 4bet fold, what do you think?

As flops go this is pretty good for JJ, however I didn't want to get too carried away. My plan was to check call the flop and check fold nearly all turns depending on his bet size. When the turn is an A I decide to stick to my plan but fortunately for me the villain checks behind.

The river pairs the board is a pretty big blank imo, I'm unsure whether to bet for thin value here. I think he would take this line with better hands such as KK and QQ so is going for value here too thin given that the only worse hand that can call is probably TT?

Thanks for any help

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I'd probably just fold preflop since it is unlikely that people are 3betting a lot of worse hands against an UTG open. 4b/f is an option too, calling OOP against an unknown however is going to be really tough to play so I would rule that option out as long as I dont have any more specific informatione on the villain.

As played I'd also x/c flop, x/f turn most of the time, and also x/f river. I dont think we can valuebet against worse hands here and I also dont think villain might be betting any worse if we check - given that he checked back the A turn which was the best of opportunities to bluff if he wanted to.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com