Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl Zoom - 4bet bluff pre? River value bet?

Old
5nl Zoom - 4bet bluff pre? River value bet? - Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The villain is another player who is relatively unknown, he is 4 tabling and I haven't played with him before this session. However during this session I've noticed that he has been 3betting a tonne. I only have 30 hands on him for which his stats are 25/11/15.4 AF - 1.5.

Pre flop I think I made a big mistake as playing OOP in a 3bet pot without initiative is pretty difficuly. Given my medium strength hand and position would it be better to turn my hand into a bluff and 4bet preflop or should this just be a fold given that I have such a small sample size?

Once I call I'm really unsure how to play the hand, which is why I think I should have folded or 4bet preflop. My thoughts at the time was to check raise this flop as I have an OESD but fold to a reraise as he would be repping an overpair. However the player check behind, I'm not sure whether the c/r line would be optimal or if donking would be better?

On the turn I decide to lead as a semibluff to capitalise on the dead money in the pot. He calls and I river TP, however AQ gets there and KT and KJ make two pair. Should I go for thin value here or is it too thin?

Thanks

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Oliver,

You figured out the preflop already, don't call and play out of position. Fold or 4b (and fold to a 5b jam). The villain isn't too unknown, he's somewhat fishy I'd say, even over only 30 hands which is a tiny sample size, 25/11 is fishy, 15.4% 3b is too high, AF1.5 is a bit passive , And he's playing an odd stack size.

I want to 4b this guy but the stacks are just awkward. Not terribly happy to 4b/fold to a 60 bb stack, but I don't think we can profitable 4b/call off either with KQ. And I suspect this guy might actually flat us a lot in this spot (where a good player never would). So if we make it like .72c and he flats, now there's 1.50 in the middle and he's got 2.30 left. Awwwwwkward! SO I would just fold and give this one up.

Recheck your flop plan, which you state is check/raise and fold to a reraise. This would never work given the stacks... He c-bets .50c, you check-raise to 1.20 for example, now his shove is only 1.43 more so you'd have to call that much into a pot of 4.60, 3.2-1 with 2 overs and the straight draw. You can't be that big a dog to his range. Even if he's only doing this with TT+, KQ, AhJh+, you're still only a 2-1 dog and that includes no weaker hands or spazzes. I don't mind the check-raise plan but given his stack think we should probably just c/r jam.

He's so far fairly passive post flop, not sure I like betting as AK/AQ are going to show up here a lot. I think we could check and call a reasonable bet, or make only a token value bet and fold to a raise.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com