Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Skill league needs change?

Old
Premier Skill league needs change? - Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
ChromeStar
I qualified from the open league to the skill league in December and was very pumped to play the skill league in January...I felt i would be playing against the best high level thinkers of the free-roll world sadly i was mistaken and it wasn't even their fault...

The structure of the SKILL League starts with us having 2500 starting stack and blinds 20/40 ..essentially 60BB...not that bad u would and i would somewhat agree ..

I played the first available tourney i ran deep pretty good also bt sadly got a bad beat near the negative-positve points change rank..no big deal..that's the whole reason why the leaue is made so as to reduce the variance by having 120 games in a month...

The thing which actually was tilting me was the amount of time everyone was taking to take the decisions...everyone was tanking from the get go...the blinds increase every 0 min and only after like 5 levels everone was playing a stack 20BB deep

MY QUESTION IS...where IS THE SKILL IN PLaYING 20BB deep...more to that people with 8 BB were raising 2.5x and then folding to a reraise or shove soo often...the other day cutoff raises standard 2.5x...SB with 8BB calls...i squeeze my KQ from BB..the cutoff folds like i hoped ..nw back to the SB who chats me up in the chatbox and then tell me he is folding JJ...i say stop joking and then he shows me JJ and folds...i was like how could he ever fold that...leave that hw could he have even only called the cut raise with 8BB with JJ..that's a standard shove spot..

I sincerely hope something is done about the structure ..decrease the blinds from start ..increase the levels or increase the starting stack..whatever do something ..this structure can't be right

now u guys can agree with me or U CAN TELL ME WHAT A BIG DONKEY I AM AND TOURNEY AVERAGE BEING 7-9 BB IS REAL SKILL
whatever i want to hear it

Last edited by jdsaz; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:50 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 04:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Hiya Jdsaz,

At this time we have no plans to make any changes to the Skill Leagues.

We always value members comments so Please feel free to send your request and ideas on the changes you have mention to ideas@mypokerschoolonline.com 

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 05:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaz View Post
I qualified from the open league to the skill league in December and was very pumped to play the skill league in January...I felt i would be playing against the best high level thinkers of the free-roll world sadly i was mistaken and it wasn't even their fault...

The structure of the SKILL League starts with us having 2500 starting stack and blinds 20/40 ..essentially 60BB...not that bad u would and i would somewhat agree ..

I played the first available tourney i ran deep pretty good also bt sadly got a bad beat near the negative-positve points change rank..no big deal..that's the whole reason why the leaue is made so as to reduce the variance by having 120 games in a month...

The thing which actually was tilting me was the amount of time everyone was taking to take the decisions...everyone was tanking from the get go...the blinds increase every 0 min and only after like 5 levels everone was playing a stack 20BB deep

MY QUESTION IS...where IS THE SKILL IN PLaYING 20BB deep...more to that people with 8 BB were raising 2.5x and then folding to a reraise or shove soo often...the other day cutoff raises standard 2.5x...SB with 8BB calls...i squeeze my KQ from BB..the cutoff folds like i hoped ..nw back to the SB who chats me up in the chatbox and then tell me he is folding JJ...i say stop joking and then he shows me JJ and folds...i was like how could he ever fold that...leave that hw could he have even only called the cut raise with 8BB with JJ..that's a standard shove spot..

I sincerely hope something is done about the structure ..decrease the blinds from start ..increase the levels or increase the starting stack..whatever do something ..this structure can't be right

now u guys can agree with me or U CAN TELL ME WHAT A BIG DONKEY I AM AND TOURNEY AVERAGE BEING 7-9 BB IS REAL SKILL
whatever i want to hear it

You're not a donkey,but you ARE failing to see that these players who are playing a stall/fold strategy understand something that you,as of right now,do not.

ANY poker game contains characteristics that are going to be unique unto itself. There are many different games of poker (NLHE,FLHE,Omaha variants,draw games,stud,and so on...)with different field size parameters (big number freeze-out MTT's,SNG's from HU to 990 players,cash games...) and all sorts of different blind and staring stake structures with different speed per levels traits as well. And then of course we'll run into different types of table situations due to player types,effective stack sizes,where the fish,stations,maniacs,Nits and every other player type out there,sit in relation to us.

What constitutes a successful foray into whatever game we're playing at the moment is,of course,also a huge consideration.

The leagues,Open and Premier,are about a month long ladder climb,NOT about the results of any individual tournament except for how said tourney fits into the big picture of the month long result. Negative finishes being avoided as often as possible,ESPECIALLY very early ko's,which at a certain point on the sliding scale of the scoring system,with it's choke points,can take 3 good results to make up.

The players you see making folds with hands like JJ (and often even better)and stalling are just maximizing their chances in the Open league. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it IS true. I,being American,have not had the "pleasure" of playing the league yet,but I did play the old PSO Skill League before BF,and even binked a 2nd for the month of August 2010,and was able to make the $50 prize almost standing on my head most months afterwards. The payouts aren't quite the same structure in the Open league as that league was,and there are definitely more runners (6 TIMES more per tourney for the most part,or more even...) but the parameters are the same.

Stall and fold and be very,very,very selective in where you take your risks early (because it will usually be for your stack...).

THAT'S the Open League way. Premier is different but that's a thread for another day.

Stall.

Fold.

Be selective and TIGHT,TIGHT,TIGHT.

Drinking helps.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: grammar,still effed I'm sure,hopefully less so...

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 05:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
One more thought (well THREE but all go to the same point)...

People will look at my post,and the one's others have made saying the same,and deduce that there is nothing to be learned from playing the Open League.

This is not entirely true.

You WILL learn patience if you play the league correctly.

You will by playing the league correctly,within the constraints and goal parameters of the league,learn that there is more than one way to skin a cat in poker and that not all games and their inherent considerations are the same and that being able to adjust to shifting realities is one of the more useful tools that you can have in your toolbox.

Lastly if you play the league well and are able,and fortunate,enough to get into a good spot to bink a nice payout at the end of the month,you WILL gain experience in dealing with pressure. Especially if you contend for the Top 10 spots. Because here's the the thing...you get into the Top 25 with a week to go in the month and the pressure starts from the first hand of every tourney you play the rest of the month. Hell,you're going to sweat whether even to register for each tourney or not. It's quite unlike the pressure you can feel in any individual MTT or SNG because it's not even about the money so much at that point,it's about you've made a month long commitment to this,and the requisite hours you've spent in that pursuit,and that all weighs on you like an anchor when you boot up the client each day that last week.

Get there and you'll see.

Experience that and later on in your poker adventures you'll come to realize how much that experience can be drawn on to aid you in those "pucker factor" moments that you'll face at the tables.

Good Luck,better decisions.

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
ChromeStar
firstly mybe it was different before BF ..am a ABF player so no clue

secondly open league is more fun..more deepstack moves..more leveling..more 3 barrels ..hell more 3 barrel bluffs...have made it to 2nd out of 10000 players had it nt been for a 2 outer a ship it..

Its the premiur legue i have been talking all about....

my main Q remains unanswered ..
HOW DO U PLay 7BB STACK..WHEN AVERAGE IS 10bb LOL

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:04 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaz View Post
firstly mybe it was different before BF ..am a ABF player so no clue

secondly open league is more fun..more deepstack moves..more leveling..more 3 barrels ..hell more 3 barrel bluffs...have made it to 2nd out of 10000 players had it nt been for a 2 outer a ship it..

Its the premiur legue i have been talking all about....

my main Q remains unanswered ..
HOW DO U PLay 7BB STACK..WHEN AVERAGE IS 10bb LOL
Carefully.

Its a freeroll, if you don't like it don't play, its as easy as that.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
there is 7BB play when average is 10BB, that's because of the few number of entrants (about 300) compared with the 10,000 of the open league... in the Premier you never get to final table with hudreds of thuthands chips.. only some thouthands that after a while becomes 10 < BB and there you learn to manage tight vs loose strategy
but at last..best of luck at any game you play, focus on the main objective (cash or points) and always aim the 1st

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com