Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Q5Q5s 3-Handed

Old
Q5Q5s 3-Handed - Fri Feb 01, 2013, 09:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
WhiteStar

Did I play this hand correctly?

My observations were that villain_8 was raising light and folding a lot and villain_9 was playing way to much pre-flop, but was a bit more cautious post, even though he c-bet a lot.

Therefore I decided that Q5s was good enough due to implied odds.

On the Flop I thought his c-bet was short for his usual amount so I thought he was either super-strong or bluffing (he played draws aggressively). I decided to call and re-evaluate on the turn

On the turn he checked and my belief was that he either disliked the Ace or had quit his bluff, but I still decided to check to see what he would do on the river.

Finally, on the river I saw the possible flush draw being completed and since I believed my play was consistent with a flush draw i decided that if he checked I would bluff, he checked and I decided to bet an amount big enough that he would fold a good amount of the times, but small enough that it would allow me to keep playing if I lost.

Old
Sat Feb 02, 2013, 02:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey JPrates

Interesting. I would be totally fine with how you played the hand if only you had more chips. The reason I feel this way is because this is a high variance risk and if it doesn't work out for us we are left with about 7 BB's and if villain decides to barrel the turn card he may opt to ship us all in as we have under a pot sized bet, so a lot of the time we won't get the chance to bet the river.

The line you took is a rather advanced way to play the hand and I like it, especially as you have notes that villain is aggro preflop/c bets the flop a ton, but shuts down on later streets if he doesn't improve.

Overall I think playing the hand the way you did is great if we had more chips. What I also like is that your thinking ahead, you had a plan and you executed it, this really shows that you have a decent amount of knowledge about the game.

Your using your notes and your position to your advantage which is brilliant I just feel it's a mistake to play the hand in this manner when are stack to pot ratio is this small.

Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com