Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO League, AA, 3rd hand of tourney, 3 shoves - how to proceed?

Old
PSO League, AA, 3rd hand of tourney, 3 shoves - how to proceed? - Mon Feb 04, 2013, 05:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
This being the PSO League and really early, I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this one. (Heck, I just posted about this on my blog on Saturday.)

So, some questions:

1) This being PSO league, should this be an automatic fold so early in the tourney?

2) Does the fact that this is PSO league and the early stage mean that I should have done something other than make a standard raise when the action first reached me?

3) Do you think the introduction of the Big Bang should change the answer to question 1?

4) Am I right to think that in a normal cash tourney, this should be an automatic call even against three opponents?

I'll post the full hand over in my Time Vault thread in a bit, for those who are curious about what I did and how it played out.

-- CanuckMonkey

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CanuckMonkey; Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Correcting typo

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CanuckMonkey!

If this hand was early in the month (and not late last month), that's the time that I'm willing to gamble in this situation in a league game, as I'll lose much less points early in the month than late in the month.

With AA, or any other hand that I'm playing, I'm going to make a standard opening raise (3BB+1BB for each limper). With 3 limpers, I'll raise to 6BB or 240. I then get 3 shoves. Late in the month, where this can cause me to lose a large amount of real $$ from the monthly standings, I'll muck. However, with it being the beginning of the month, if I ever do go out early in one, it's going to be with AA or KK preflop. AA preflop will always be a +EV play, so early in the month, I'm calling and taking my chances.

In a cash tourney, I'm snap-calling with AA here every single time, regardless.

I would absolutely not be concerned about the Big Bang ticket. If I play my standard game, I've got a real shot at winning this ticket at sometime within the month, so the only time that this would even remotely enter my thought process is if I already have 2 top finishes and have enough chips to get the third one. Then I may consider mucking to get the ticket, but never due to this early in a game.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 05, 2013, 02:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Unless you're currently in the top 50 of the monthly league, so busting would undo much of your good work, I think this is a fist-pump call, especially if there's still 20+ days left in the month.
Kings would probably be a fold, however.

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 03:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Thanks John and Arty, this has been really helpful and has already started to affect my play. Great stuff!

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com