Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO League, TT in SB, folded to me with loose-passive BB - thoughts on my line?

Old
PSO League, TT in SB, folded to me with loose-passive BB - thoughts on my line? - Wed Feb 06, 2013, 05:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Villain_8 in the big blind is very loose-passive. I've got 20 hands of data on him and he is 45/5. I make a standard raise from the SB after it is folded to me, and am not surprised when he calls. I bet half the pot on the A77 rainbow flop and get called, then bet half the pot again on the deuce turn and get a min-raise from the villain.

Because of his loose style, I'm not expecting him to have an ace-rag unless I'm very unlucky, and I'm guessing he would have 3-bet pre-flop if he had a higher pocket pair.

What do you think of how I played the hand so far? What's your move in response to this raise on the turn?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CanuckMonkey!

This hand is a good example of where league strategy is somewhat different from cash MTT strategy.

In both situations, with TT in the SB, when it folds to me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB (360).

The flop brings an A and an underpair. In both situations here, I'm going to make a bet both for value and to see where I'm at in the hand. Loose opps in league games love playing any A or any suited cards and that is a HUGE red flag here, as with them playing 45%, basically every ace possible is well within their range. I'm going to make a 1/2 pot bet of 405 here in both situations, UNLESS this is a player that I have flagged as playing any A (something that I look for and note). If the opp is known to play all aces, I'm check/folding the flop in a league game since there is a high likelihood that I'm beat.

The opp calls, which is a very large red-flag in a league game. Since this is a league game and I need to survive as long as possible in order to accumulate league points, I'm not putting a single chips more into this pot unless my hand improves. I'm check/folding the turn and also the river. It's not worth the risk of losing league points when I could very easily not have the best hand.
I'm also check/folding the turn here in a cash tournament.

In a league game, I need to conserve every single chip that I have and do not want to put chips into the pot unless I'm ahead in the hand. As soon as this flop comes out, TT, while it's a marginal made hand, there is no way to know that it's ahead, so I'm check/folding to all opps known to play Ax and taking 1 and only one shot at the pot on the flop if the opp is not known to play all aces.

I do agree with your assessment that a higher pair not likely, as with a 5% PFR, they should be raising those preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 07, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Thanks John, great advice as always with plenty of detailed nuggets for me to learn from!

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com