Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Feb 07, 2013, 12:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
BronzeStar
Good Afternoon,

Do I qualify for the bankroll builder promotion?

I thought I had done and passed the Poker Basics assessment but it's not showing the course as finished and will not let me take the quiz again.

Old
Thu Feb 07, 2013, 06:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangg187 View Post
Good Afternoon,

Do I qualify for the bankroll builder promotion?

I thought I had done and passed the Poker Basics assessment but it's not showing the course as finished and will not let me take the quiz again.
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 05:14 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Ta very much.

Am I allowed to play in the Open Skill League during this promotion?

Last edited by Stangg187; Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:16 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 06:13 AM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Ta very much.
Am I allowed to play in the Open Skill League during this promotion?
Hi Stangg187,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job! You can play in the Open League but if you get any Bankroll Builder bonuses you must use them to play 1/2 cent cash games only, not tournaments.

Hot Tip#1 : Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

First up you need to attend the 'Getting Started' live training session. The next one available for you time zone is on Saturday, February 9th and you can find it here:

Getting Started

Let me know as soon as you have attended this session.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 09, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I have attended the Getting Started training as well as Bet Sizing and Cash Basics.

I have also passed both the Poker Basics and Cash game quizzes.

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 06:59 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have attended the Getting Started training as well as Bet Sizing and Cash Basics.

I have also passed both the Poker Basics and Cash game quizzes.
Hi Stangg187,

We can see that you did attend the session today. Did you find it useful? Did you learn something from it that you didn't know before?

Just a note though that it was only the 'Getting Started' session that you needed to attend, you will have to attend the other sessions later in the promotion.

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:33 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I didn't learn anything new from the content of the session itself but Dave did point me towards some of his other videos covering some aspects of the little green book that I wanted expanding.

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:54 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
I wasn't sure that I made the right decisions here, I like suited connecters for calling a pre flop raise, when no one bet the flop I valued my low pair and figured I could induce a fold on the turn (I got there in the end despite the calls but was this the right train of thought?)

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:17 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Stangg187!

Is this the correct hand? The text talks about suited connectors and a pair, but the hand is AJ that misses a flop.

With AJ from the BB, I'm either going to raise or fold here since I'm out of position. If the opps are playing very tight, I'd muck. Otherwise, I'll make a standard raise to 3X the previous raise. Since the button bet 100, I'll raise to 300.
I want to try to thin the field some, as the rest of the hand will be much easier to play when out of position against less opponents.

The 5-way flop totally misses me and without the lead in the hand (since I didn't raise preflop), I'll check and hope that everyone else checks so that I can see a free turn card.

The turn is another miss for me. Since everyone checked the flop, I'm going to take a shot to win the pot here and will bet 1/2 pot (250). If I get raised, I'll muck. If I get called, then I'm not putting another chip into the pot unless my hand improves.

The river misses me too and when the opp checks, I'll check behind and hope that the opp missed too.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
I bet the pot because smaller bets were getting called a lot more earlier on.

Apologies this is the hand I meant to seek advice on based on my comments(I should point out as well than generally I like to play looser with suited connectors, I'm not sure if that is going to cost me more money than it makes in the long run but I normally feel comfortable extending my range and winning bigger pots if they flop good):

Last edited by Stangg187; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
I bet the pot because smaller bets were getting called a lot more earlier on.

Apologies this is the hand I meant to seek advice on based on my comments(I should point out as well than generally I like to play looser with suited connectors, I'm not sure if that is going to cost me more money than it makes in the long run but I normally feel comfortable extending my range and winning bigger pots if they flop good):

Hi Stangg187

Calling such a large preflop raise with 43s is definately going to cost you money in the long run. I would strongly suggest being more careful with hands like this. 43s is a speculative hand. As played, you risked your entire stack on bottom pair. It worked out for you here. At real money tables this is going to very quickly cost you a lot of money.

With speculative hands such as suited connectors, smallish pocket pairs and Axs, we want to flop a set or a strong draw to a straight or flush. With these hands we normally want three conditions to be in place to make them worth while. Firstly, you want to see the flop relatively cheap. Secondly, you want to have several players in the hand. Thirdly, you should preferably have decent position.

With these hands you want to be very careful about flopping a pair. Far too often you will end up with the second best hand. This is especially true if you have A2s for example. Don't get carried away if you flop top pair.

Implied odds can make chasing a straight or flush draw, for example if stacks are deep. But don't overdo it

With speculative hands, you normally will be folding on the flop. However , when you do flop a set or a strong draw, you can often win large pots.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I didn't learn anything new from the content of the session itself but Dave did point me towards some of his other videos covering some aspects of the little green book that I wanted expanding.
Hi Stangg187,

Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent fullring real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you pass the quiz, get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
I have passed the quiz.

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:41 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have passed the quiz.
Hi Stangg187,

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I think I messed up a bit here, I definitely didn't put the villain on a set. I guess I should have bailed a lot earlier but I wanted to see what he had to get a handle on his range.

Old
Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:16 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
The villain had been playing very loose and I'd taken two large pots from him recently so I figured he was on tilt and for a bluff. In hindsight should I have bet the turn more aggressively?

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 02:52 AM
(#17)
Quote:
I think I messed up a bit here, I definitely didn't put the villain on a set. I guess I should have bailed a lot earlier but I wanted to see what he had to get a handle on his range.

Hi Stangg187

Interesting hand! Preflop I strongly suggest folding 68o pretty much every time in this spot. You do not have suited connectors. Your cards are unsuited and gappers. This means you will have less of a chance to make a straight. Moreover, you are facing a limper and then a raise. The limper still has to act. He might reraise forcing you to fold. Not to mention you will be playing the entire hand out of position. Much better to just fold this one preflop. Remember, with speculative hands we want to flop a strong draw, not a pair. Pairing the board too often results in our having the second best hand.

As played, you flop bottom pair. This might have some showdown value. Checking the flop and hoping to stay in the hand is good.

The turn is a six. Notice, this cards looks like it helps you but it actually doesn't improve your hand. You still have two pair QQ and 77. Anyone with a Q or an overpair has you beat. Check-folding would have been better here.

Finally, anytime a passive player (like the limp - calling villain) gets aggressive post flop, it usually means they have a strong hand.

I hope this helps!

Roland GTX

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:06 AM
(#18)
Quote:
The villain had been playing very loose and I'd taken two large pots from him recently so I figured he was on tilt and for a bluff. In hindsight should I have bet the turn more aggressively?

Hi Stangg187

Getting good reads is important - well done! However, we need to know how to use our information. You have won two large pots and think the guy is tilting. If I think someone is on tilt, I expect them to overplay their hands. In other words they don't fold. Often they get aggressive too. Now, if the villain is not going to fold, what does this tell us? Firstly, it means the hand will go to the showdown and you MUST have a made hand to win the pot. In this hand, you have a decent starting hand, but you miss every street. Your only hope is that you have high card.

It would be much better to check-fold the turn and river here. Wait until you have a made hand then you can take the villain to value town.

Finally, tilters that don't fold allow us to bet more than normal. This gives us more value. Preflop the villain limped and you made it 6 cents. This is too small. The standard woould be 8 cents (3x plus 1x for the limper). Post flop, when you flop a made hand then you can bet every street.

The situation in this hand is a common leak. We spot a fish that we want to take advantage of but pick a poor spot to do it. We end up playing poorly ourselves. Keep an eye out for this in the future

Roland GTX

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 04:25 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the advice, I definitely play too many speculative hands on the cash tables, I think I need to tighten up a lot more and not play them as loosely like I do SNG's/MTT's in the later stages.

With the tilter I did end up taking $1.50 off of him over the following hands when I had much better hands and made pot size bets.

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 05:34 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I definitely play too many speculative hands on the cash tables, I think I need to tighten up a lot more and not play them as loosely like I do SNG's/MTT's in the later stages.

With the tilter I did end up taking $1.50 off of him over the following hands when I had much better hands and made pot size bets.
Hi Stangg187,

NEXT STEP

For the next step you will need to attend the Bet Sizing live training session.

The next one scheduled for your time zone is on tomorrow, Saturday Feb 16th and you can find it here:

Please let me know as soon as you have attended this session and we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com