Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Flopped straight on monotone board

Old
Flopped straight on monotone board - Fri Feb 08, 2013, 03:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Interesting hand I played. Probably should have c/c the flop and let him barrel away, but as it played;

Is this generally a snap call vs. a reshove on the flop?

Just want to know in case I get in a similar situation in the future.

I pokerstoved some hand ranges he could have, and it said I have ~60% equity against overpairs with a club in it.

Against a flopped flush im drawing dead, which is obviously part of his range.

Is this a profitable call?

Thanks

Last edited by birdayy; Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 04:17 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 09:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
With zero reads or history against villain, I'd assume a stronger raising range. If that is the case there aren't a whole lot of flopped flushes he can have. AKs, AQs maybe? Other than that your often going to be looking at AKo with one club, an overpair with one club, or a set. Didn't check the odds, but should be ahead if this is the case?

I don't see any point in slowplaying your straight on flop. If you think your hand is ahead, just go ahead and make him pay. No good reason to let him set the drawing price.

Also hope you have taken some notes on that guy, huge mistakes made that hand by villain.

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
If his range for raising is all sets, all overpairs, and all reasonable flopped flushes (AXcc, KTcc+, QTcc+, JcTc, 7c6c) plus certain nut flush draws (AcJx+) then I've got you on 57.35%.
Stacking off looks good to me.
I think a lot of players would overplay QQ+ here, but if we remove overpairs from his shoving range, then you're down to 41%.

It kind of depends on how loose/tight this guy is pre-flop. If he routinely calls in position pre-flop with Axs (down to A2s) and hands like QTs, but doesn't call pre with offsuit aces, then there are a lot more made flushes in his range.

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: typo correction

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:11 PM
(#4)
Thanks for responses.

It was zoom and didn't have many hands on him. I think his flatting range is better orientated to this board rather than his 3bet range. I doubt he has a set here as most players would probably set mine a MP raise.

Put his range which he would 3bet pre and get it in post flop as;

QQ+, JcJx, TcTx, AcKc, AcQc, AcJc, AcKx, AxKc, AcQx, AxQc

Which came to 64.095% equity. This is just my guess though

Obviously what he called with is probably the bottom of his range.

Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited by birdayy; Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:13 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

These guys have already said it. Basically, never slowplay this situation as there are so many turn cards that kill your action. And I would not consider folding to his 3b jam unless he was very nitty and could only be expected to stack flushes here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 09, 2013, 09:56 AM
(#6)
Cool looks like I played it ok then.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com