Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MTT's such as the Hot (late gameplay)

Old
MTT's such as the Hot (late gameplay) - Fri Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
How do you guys play in a late stage of these Hot tourneys when your allready in the money got around 15BB with around 200 players left.

Now im asking this as i ran this deep few times now playing pretty tight hands like AA KK QQ AK AJ etc.

till the point where the blinds turn up so fast where my 40-30BB stack dissapears into 8-12 BB and im forced to open up my range defending my blinds with A6off for example

Hoping to get some nice knowledge here

Regards,

Prohorse3

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Prohorse3!

I played a bunch of these types of tourneys (was a 50 cent one before black friday and had some very deep runs in them with a good + ROI).
I judged everything off of how many BB I had left, player reads and postion. The one thing that I never worried about in them was defending a blind, as that can be a big chip leak. I'd gladly give up a blind, in order to play and win a hand from the button or CO.
Once the blinds go up faster, I'll have less BB, so I'll need to adjust due to that. With less BB, I'm playing more and more hands IN position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Prohorse3!

I played a bunch of these types of tourneys (was a 50 cent one before black friday and had some very deep runs in them with a good + ROI).
I judged everything off of how many BB I had left, player reads and postion. The one thing that I never worried about in them was defending a blind, as that can be a big chip leak. I'd gladly give up a blind, in order to play and win a hand from the button or CO.

Once the blinds go up faster, I'll have less BB, so I'll need to adjust due to that. With less BB, I'm playing more and more hands IN position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Yea i have no problems with the text that i made Red,
Its just the last part i have troubles with like which hands i should play

Off course ill keep playing tight but what im looking for is opening up my range as you say youll play more but what do you guys play for cards?
KJoff KQoff or K10suited QJsuited for example with a raise in front of you?

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Prohorse3!

It's really going to depend on the opps that are to my left in the blinds when I'm on the button or CO.
If the blinds are tight, I may open ATC for a steal. From the CO, I'll open Ax, most K's, broadways, suited connectors or 1-gaps, maybe even 2-gaps.
If the opps are loose, then I'll be a bit tighter than this, say Ax, connectors, suited 1-gap from the button. Ax, suited connectors, broadways from the CO.

With raises in front of me, I want something that will give me a +EV play. To determine this, I need to know the opp's range and can get my hand equity from pokerstove. I can then do a quick pot equity calc (chips I need to call /pot size) and see if my hand is worth more. If it's a +EV, I'll make the call, if not, I'll look for a better spot.
The way to get to know these situations is to do a hand review of them and to do the calulations after you're playing. The more situations you see, the better you'll be able to estimate whether it is +EV or not.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com