Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Why we play the micros

Old
Why we play the micros - Sun Feb 10, 2013, 09:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
I often complain about playing at the microstakes. So many people making stupid plays and catching their lucky card, time and time again defying the odds by hitting their runner runner straight with a hand they never should have played to begin with. Well, if you play the micros, you know what I'm talking about.

Still, these very people are the reason why we play the micros. Well, and because the bankroll doesn't really allow playing outside the micros. But mostly, they're profitable if you play the opponents correctly. This past week has been another shining example of such.
After a month or so of playing cash only, I went back to the 9mans. In a few days, I played 13 of them. I busted early in 4 of them - 9,9,8,7, and bubbled one when I went all-in preflop with J,T and was called by J,8. Exactly what we want. Too bad he hit a straight on the river....

The other 8 I played were all cashes: 4 1st places, 3 2nds and a 3rd. I dare say that I played my A-game, and also bagged a bit of luck. Had I not been drawn out on in the J,T hand, I would have cashed in that one as well. So basically, it was either bust in the first level or two, or cash. Not bad at all. Overall in 13 games I now show an ROI of 85%. It won't last. I'm just running good. Or maybe I've taken some lessons from my foray into 10NL cash and been playing a lot tighter than before. Playing more as I should be in these micro SnGs. And the good news: finally, once again, I am out of the red. I dropped into a losing stat after about 400 SnGs, which lasted for about 70. Ok, so I'm showing an overall profit of a whopping $2.71 in 475 games, but still - it's a profit and I'm on the way back. Now all I need is stay on the right track.
So let me just share with you a hand from the last SnG I played, that clearly demonstrates why we play the micros....

We've been 3handed for about 3 orbits now. I have over 6k, the villain has 2.7k, and I am dealt pocket 9 in the Big.

Erm, right. Brilliant call Fortunately this time he didn't hit his miracle card on the river. They don't always hit it

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 09:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I play Limit STTs profitably not because I'm a good limit player but because I can and do usually see 3-4 Blue Whales in every game. I know how a STT structure works and change gears but my opponents usually have 1 gear which is either a maniac or a calling station.

Despite some horrendous bad beats in limit, I still love playing against players like your hand above because I win not by my own brilliance but because they are so bad. Runner runner gutshots are not uncommon but good solid play usually pays off

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:19 AM
(#3)
Well, here's another shining example. Enjoy and don't forget to hope this guy sits down at your table someday...

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 05:34 PM
(#4)
From today's Hotter $0.55:

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
(#5)
Thought his limp was weak so shoved all-in to steal the dead money. Didn't really want him to call, not even with the garbage he had...

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 AM
(#6)
You know, I don't mind the bad players sucking out every now and then. But why in flippin name does it happen at the worst possible times:

Total number of players : 6/6
Seat 3: Kotlownia ( $10 USD )
Seat 5: Matesak14 ( $10.45 USD )
Seat 6: Ov3rsight ( $12.34 USD )
Seat 4: StriCZek ( $12.49 USD )
Seat 2: chaopescao ( $9.90 USD )
Seat 1: leon610 ( $13.55 USD )
Matesak14 posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
Ov3rsight posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Ov3rsight [ Kc Kd ]
leon610 folds
Kotlownia raises [$0.30 USD]
StriCZek calls [$0.30 USD]
Matesak14 calls [$0.25 USD]
Ov3rsight raises [$1.90 USD]
Kotlownia folds
StriCZek calls [$1.70 USD]
Matesak14 folds
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3d, 8s, 4h ]
Ov3rsight bets [$2 USD]
StriCZek raises [$4 USD]
Ov3rsight is all-In [$8.34 USD]
StriCZek calls [$6.34 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Td ]
** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]
StriCZek shows [ 3c, 2c ]three of a kind, Threes.
Ov3rsight doesn't show [ Kc, Kd ]two pairs, Kings and Threes.

What the heck was he thinking with 2,3 off preflop and bottom pair on the flop

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:37 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rsight View Post
You know, I don't mind the bad players sucking out every now and then. But why in flippin name does it happen at the worst possible times:

Total number of players : 6/6
Seat 3: Kotlownia ( $10 USD )
Seat 5: Matesak14 ( $10.45 USD )
Seat 6: Ov3rsight ( $12.34 USD )
Seat 4: StriCZek ( $12.49 USD )
Seat 2: chaopescao ( $9.90 USD )
Seat 1: leon610 ( $13.55 USD )
Matesak14 posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
Ov3rsight posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Ov3rsight [ Kc Kd ]
leon610 folds
Kotlownia raises [$0.30 USD]
StriCZek calls [$0.30 USD]
Matesak14 calls [$0.25 USD]
Ov3rsight raises [$1.90 USD]
Kotlownia folds
StriCZek calls [$1.70 USD]
Matesak14 folds
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3d, 8s, 4h ]
Ov3rsight bets [$2 USD]
StriCZek raises [$4 USD]
Ov3rsight is all-In [$8.34 USD]
StriCZek calls [$6.34 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Td ]
** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]
StriCZek shows [ 3c, 2c ]three of a kind, Threes.
Ov3rsight doesn't show [ Kc, Kd ]two pairs, Kings and Threes.

What the heck was he thinking with 2,3 off preflop and bottom pair on the flop
... sickening....

I guess villain put you on AK...

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 06:17 AM
(#8)
3 cts posted and 3 limpers, I thought it was a nice spot for a steal...

Now I'll probably never know why he called all-in on that flop with that hand...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com