Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Had a good pair now looks like a bad pair, should i set mine?

Old
Had a good pair now looks like a bad pair, should i set mine? - Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

Note villain 6 folds

both unknowns this is hand 3 at a new table, first though was jam looks fishy second was but there's two of them, third was maybe they think I'm stealing followed by what both of them....

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 04:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Against unknowns, this is an easy fold for me.
A cold 4-bet shove at these stakes is hardly ever a worse hand than QQ.

I'd actually be folding to just the 3-bet here, as without stats/reads you have no idea if it's a resteal or a legitimate value raise. TT does pretty badly against typical 3-bet ranges at 2NL/5NL, and you don't have odds to set-mine.

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
Personally I would instafold here Grade b -

If I knew the opp on the button better I might be prepared to call the extra $0.25 and set-mine their reraise, as I feel we could expect to stack them when we do hit the set just about often enough - but with the $2.00 stack getting in we don't have odds to set mine and the choice for me is probably 1) shove hoping to fold out the button, isolate and play for the small stack or 2) fold.

Readless I would just fold,and I would need a VERY good reason to attempt to oust the button and get in with the SB anyway, even with good reads.

Ed

Old
Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:44 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Hey Grade b,

Not much more to add, I agree with Arty and Ed. There's no odds to set mine so the only real evaluation here is how TT plays vs. their ranges. The answer is probably not good. We're basically praying we're up against a couple AK hands. V5 is short stacking with 40 bigs, but over a raise and 3b when he cold 4b jams, without any read I'd figure that to be JJ+ and AK, a range against which we are a 2-1 dog. Then there's the problem of the button who 3b us and we have no reads. Easy fold.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:41 AM
(#5)
ty everyone,

I guess I put it out there because as Dave guessed both players flipped over AK and i had already folded...grrrr

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:05 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
ty everyone,

I guess I put it out there because as Dave guessed both players flipped over AK and i had already folded...grrrr

Grade b
You can't let this kind of thing eat you, it happens. If they showed you their AK's you'd snap the money in obviously, but you're not faced with stacking vs. 2 AK's, you're faced with stacking vs. ranges of hands that also include mostly hands dominating you (and AK).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com