Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder

Old
Bankroll builder - Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi,

After a few years of being out of playing poker I decided to give it another try and also signed up here to try to improve my game overall.
I've completed the Poker basics session and now see that the bankroll builder is available.
I was hoping I could qualify. What can I do?

Thanks.

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 01:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbizz44 View Post
Hi,

After a few years of being out of playing poker I decided to give it another try and also signed up here to try to improve my game overall.
I've completed the Poker basics session and now see that the bankroll builder is available.
I was hoping I could qualify. What can I do?

Thanks.
Hi Mbizz44,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

Hot Tip#1 : Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

First up please watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retriving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

Let me know as soon as you've had a chance to watch it.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#4)
Hi Raiser,

I have watched video, what next?

Thanks.

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:52 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi Raiser,
I have watched video, what next?
Thanks.
Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:11 PM
(#6)

Hi Raiser,

I've got a hand here that I ended up winning but I'm not sure about my bet sizes based on what I had and what the other guy was doing.
I raised pre-flop because people at this table had a habit of limping around but folding to most raises but after that I wasn't sure if/how much to bet.

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:38 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I've got a hand here that I ended up winning but I'm not sure about my bet sizes based on what I had and what the other guy was doing.
Hi Mbizz44,

Cheers for posting this. I've asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at this for you and post some feedback.

He should do this later today and after that I'll let you know about the next step

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mbizz44!

While I do like the idea of raising to punish a table of limpers, I want to be doing it from either late position or with a better hand. J5s is not a hand that I want to be playing from mid position, as it's just not strong enough. Honestly, at an almost full table, the only position that I'd be playing it from is if I can see a free flop from the BB with it. Just because I have an A or suited cards, if the hand is not strong enough, I should not be playing it.

When I do make a raise, the other thing that I want to be doing is to make a standard opening raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. This will help to conceal the strength of my hand, as I'll make the same raise with AA, 88, 22, AK, JTs or any other hand that I want to play. By making the same play with my entire range, I will keep the opponent guessing as to the cards that I'm playing.

On the flop or turn, I want my bet sizes to be based on the pot size, the board texture and the number of opponents. I do not want to bet less than 1/2 pot, especially with multiple opps or a board with a straight or flush draw, as then the opps could be getting the correct odds to call me. I want them to have to call a bet that will have them lose chips on average, not gain chips from me on average.

If I was in the hand, on the flop, due to 3 opps, a straight, flush and even combination draw avaialble, I'll make a pot size bet here.

On the turn and river, I have two choices when the opp checks to me. I can either make a 1/2 pot bet or I can check behind. With a hand with showdown value, but a weak hand with the board that is showing, I'll check behind and hope to get to a cheap showdown. I do not want to make a bet less than 1/2 pot for a number of reasons. First, I may be behind. Secondly, the opp will be getting the correct odds to draw if they are on a draw and thirdly, it gives them a perfect opportunity to bluff me. If the opp makes a large raise, my hand is nowhere near strong enough to call it, so I'll lose the chips that I just bet.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:48 PM
(#9)
Hi John,

Thanks for the analysis. I entered a freeroll and tried to apply your tips where I could. I've included another hand below where I tried to bet properly. What I want to know is if I did something wrong or just got unlucky.

The only thing I can think of is that I might have bet the turn instead of trying to check-raise all my chips in but I don't think he would have folded anyway, and I did achieve my goal of getting all my chips in.

Thanks.

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mbizz44!

Tournament strategy is different from cash ring game strategy and one of the biggest differences is with the preflop standard bet sizes. In a tourney, I start with 3BB+1BB for each limper, then lower to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper when the blinds hit 100/200, then lower again to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper at 1k/2k blinds.

With the blinds here being 100/200 and 2 limpers, I'll raise to 2.5BB+2BB, which is 4.5BB or 900.

I see the flop 4 ways and get a min bet and a call. These bets can easily be a bet tell for a draw and I definitely want to raise. I would normally make a pot-sized raise here, to 4380, BUT... since I have over 1/3 of my stack in the pot, this means that I'm pot-committed and due to this, I'm SHOVING the flop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 14, 2013, 07:44 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I entered a freeroll and tried to apply your tips where I could.
Hi Mbizz44,

Remember that this is a cash game promotion only so tournament hands will not count.

Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 09:08 PM
(#12)
Hi Raiser,

I have completed the Poker Basics course.

Thanks.

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi Raiser,
I have completed the Poker Basics course.
Thanks.
Hi Mbizz44,

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
(#14)
Hi Raiser and John,

Thanks for the deposit. I have been playing some $.01/.02 hands with some mixed results (good one day, not so great the next) and I have a couple hands I'd like some help with.

With this hand I have no idea whether I played it well, poorly or what. I know it was about as good a flop as I could have asked for but I wasn't sure at all how to play it.

This one ended up pretty well, I'm just not sure whether just calling pre-flop was right there and then if I got a bit too aggressive on the flop.

Thanks!

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have been playing some $.01/.02 hands with some mixed results (good one day, not so great the next) and I have a couple hands I'd like some help with.
Hi Mbizz44,

Thanks for posting these hands for review. I have asked one of the hand analysers to take a look at them for you and offer some feedback.

He should do this later today and once he does we can continue on from there.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:13 PM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hi Raiser and John,

Thanks for the deposit. I have been playing some $.01/.02 hands with some mixed results (good one day, not so great the next) and I have a couple hands I'd like some help with.

With this hand I have no idea whether I played it well, poorly or what. I know it was about as good a flop as I could have asked for but I wasn't sure at all how to play it.

This one ended up pretty well, I'm just not sure whether just calling pre-flop was right there and then if I got a bit too aggressive on the flop.

Thanks!
Hi Mbizz44

First hand: 105o is pretty weak. So, just checking preflop is perfect. You did get a good flop, but you do not have a lock on the hand. Notice that there is a flush draw in spades and a possible straight draw if the villain has two high cards. Plus several other hands may already be ahead such as a better two pair. In spots like this you don't want to let your opponent see the turn cheaply. I would suggest raising the flop to 3x his bet. This will often win the pot now. If the villain calls with a draw they will be making a mistake.

As played folding on the river seems smart. You do not have a flush and there are four spades on the board. Good fold.

Second hand: AQo is a good starting hand. The best way to play it in this spot is dependant on your opponent. A read would help here. Against loose players that play too many hands, I would normally 3-bet preflop. Against tighter opponents I would just call as you did.

You got a good flop with top pair top kicker and a possible flush draw. Since you just called preflop, I would suggest checking and hoping that the villain follows up with a c-bet. I think this would be the best way to get max value out of your hand.

As played, your stack is not too deep. So, I think getting all in as you did was good. By being the aggressor with your 3-bet, you increase your chance of winning the hand because the villain may fold. Top pair is not strong enough to slow play, but it is strong enough to raise with. The times you win at showdown combined with the times the villain folds to your 3-bet will make this profitable. Well done

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi Raiser and John,
Thanks for the deposit. I have been playing some $.01/.02 hands with some mixed results
Next Step

Next up we need you to attend the Bet Sizing live training session.

The next one scheduled for your time zone is tomorrow, Wednesday and you can find it here:

It's important that you attend this session as we cannot move you on until you do. Let me know as soon as you have attended.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
(#18)
Thanks for the help Roland GTX. It's nice to know that I'm getting it at least partly right.

Raiser, I attended the Bet Sizing and Cash Basics live training tonight.

Last edited by Mbizz44; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 09:05 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 08:56 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Raiser, I attended the Bet Sizing and Cash Basics live training tonight.
Hi Mbizz44,

You only needed to attend Bet Sizing for now, the Cash Basics you will need to attend again later on in the promotion

If you do any of these steps before you are asked they won't show up on our system.

Next Step

Now it's time to study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz post back here and we'll continue on tomorrow.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:22 PM
(#20)
Hey Raiser,

I passed the Cash Game quiz. What next?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com