Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

My BankRollBuilder

Old
My BankRollBuilder - Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hello
Id like to start this programme

Old
Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pandaur,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
JQ unsuited - Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#3)
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have a question about a hand.
I played earlier so I couldnt find it in the hand replayer, but I remember it.
Before the flop I called a bet with this hand (JQ unsuited) but the 3bet went up to almost half of my stack, so I folded it before the flop.
By the river three more Js came, so it turned out I folded 4 J-s, so I was realy mad. Not sure if I played wrong or right.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pandaur; Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 06:57 AM..

Old
session feedback - Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:11 AM
(#4)

Did I raise too early? (on the turn) Should have waited for the river?

Old
what did I do wrong? - Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
(#5)

I lost with the same hand as the winning hand (Q2)

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pandaur!

Please note that you need to play full ring tables only for this promotion. If you play a 6-max table after you receive a buy-in, you will be ineligible for any further buy-ins.

QJ preflop to a 3-bet is an instant fold. It's not a strong enough hand to be calling with.

With Q2 in the small blind, since it is a garbage hand, I'm going to muck this preflop. One of the biggest chip leaks that players have is playing too many hands from the blinds. Since I'm out of position when I'm in the blinds, I need to be playing only premium hands.

With QQ from the BB, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limpers, I will raise to 50. Betting larger with big hands and smaller with speculative ones is a bet tell. Observant opps will pick up on this and use the information to their advantage. By making standard raises, I help to conceal the strength of my hand.

I flop top set. I can either make a value bet here (1/2 the size of the pot) or check. The only reason that I say that a check is viable here is that there really isn't a draw in the opp's range. If there was a realistic straight draw or a flush draw possible, I'd be betting here 100% of the time.

The turn brings both a straight and flush draw, so I need to bet here both for value and to protect my hand. I will bet 1/2 pot (275). I do not want to bet less than this, as the opp could then get the correct odds to try to draw to beat me, something that I do not want to do.

The keys in this hand are to keep the bet sizes standard, as the large overbet preflop turns a player's cards face up and screams QQ+ to the opponents.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
(#7)
Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback, it was very useful to read your comments! I saved a few other hands, can I post some more here?

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pandaur!

Sure. If there is something that you're unsure of, please post the hands here. Also, any information that you can give about the opponents (the way they were playing, etc) will help to get you a better reply.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
pre flop bet size - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:44 AM
(#9)
Thanks,

another question came up after you told me not to raise too big with monster hands, i noticed that if i dont raise large enough before the flop, weak hands can afford to see the flop and make their strait or flush. 3BB+XBB is usually not a big threat for deep stacked players

Old
another session feedback - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:58 AM
(#10)

lost with weaker 2 pair

Old
more session fb - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:18 AM
(#11)

Was I wrong to fold?

Old
another bad fold? - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
(#12)

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pandaur!

By betting larger with better hands, it may do ok against an uninformed, bad opponent, but as soon as you're at a table with better opponents, this is very exploitable. An observant opp will not call the larger bets without an even better hand. They'll also raise much more often when they see smaller bets. This way, your big hands won't get paid off (you get no value from them) and will win big pots from you when the opp has a big hand. Standard bets help to conceal the strength of your hand and this and need to be done both pre and post flop. Preflop bets based on the BB size (without raises) and post-flop bets will be based on the pot size.

J5 is a garbage hand and is an easy muck for me preflop. I do not want to be involved with bad hands. The same with K7. This is a really bad hand, especially into a multi-way pot, so it's an easy muck for me preflop. Playing bad hands is something that will be a big drain to my bankroll and is something that I do not want to do.

With ATs from mid position, once again, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With no limpers, I will raise to 60.
If I had bet to 60 preflop, then I'd make a c-bet on the flop of 3/4 pot. If I'm called or raised, I know I'm beat and will not lose any more chips. It also gives me a chance to win the pot here.
However, due to a large overbet preflop, since this should only be called by a premium hand, someone that is still in the pot should have a K. Due to this, I'm check/folding the flop.

With online play, compared to live play, bet tells are the most common tell. Players that bet more with better cards and less with weaker cards are the easiest type of players to exploit and due to this, it's something that I do not want to do. I want to be making standard bets that help to conceal the strength of my hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
loosing with AA - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
(#14)

Thanks for the earlier reply, Ill try to play with better hands and even bets, but as you can see I lost with AA just now, is there a way to detect that a better hand is opposite?
in this case should I have folded earlier?

Old
how to raise more? - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#15)

Im not sure if I bet correctly

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pandaur!

Here is a video of the training session that you need to watch, if you can't make it to a live one.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Panduar!

With 99, I will make a standard open-raise (3BB+1BB for each limper). Since there are 2 limpers, I will raise to 5BB or 50. I want to keep all my raises standard and not to overbet preflop with better hands.
The flop comes A7A and with 2 opps and being out of position (a huge disadvantage), I'm going to check the flop.

The turn is a 6 and since the opps checked the flop, I'm going to bet 2/3 pot here (223 chips). If I'm called, then I'll check the river and hope to get to a cheap showdown. If I'm raised, I'll muck.

By overbetting preflop and then checking down every street, it basically turns the cards over and says to an observant opponent that you have a pair, but are scared of the aces.

The AA hand is just bad luck. Every hand, even AA will lose a given % of the time and unfortunately, this is one of them.
I would have made a standard raise to 70 preflop, then made a pot-sized flop bet. The turn would depend on my read of the opp's playing patterns. I may make another pot-sized bet or I might check... it would depend on how the opps were playing.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
training video - Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:47 AM
(#18)
Hi John,

thanks for the feedback, I watched the video you sent me, tell me what to do next!
One question about the bet size, Im not sure what you mean by 1BB for each limper, exactly who counts to be a limper?
Players who called the BB before me?

Last edited by Pandaur; Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old
Thu Feb 14, 2013, 10:14 AM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaur View Post
One question about the bet size, Im not sure what you mean by 1BB for each limper, exactly who counts to be a limper?
Players who called the BB before me?
Hi Pandaur!

What I want to do is to add 1BB to my bet for each limper and a limper is someone that calls the BB.

ex: 3 players limp, then I want to raise. I will raise to 3BB + 1BB extra for each limper (another 3BB), so I will raise to 6BB.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pandaur!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com