Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

.01/.02 NLHE AT off, should I have got involved from the SB. What to do with top 2 pr

Old
.01/.02 NLHE AT off, should I have got involved from the SB. What to do with top 2 pr - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013

I am wondering firstly if I should have been involved out of the SB. I was pretty happy calling at the time thinking that the villain had a hand but not necessarily with an A. I wasn't expecting the BB to call.

Next thing I hit top two pair on the flop. From previous play I figured that the villain would only c bet if he hit or had a large pocket pair and so I checked to the pre-flop agressor. I was unsure what the BB would do. Since I had flopped top 2 pair should I have donk bet the flop or was it fine to check? My feeling was I didn't want to kill the action.

Once he bet the pot I figured he had a strong A or was betting KK, QQ. I didn't believe he had a set as I had a block on the T and A and I don't think he would have preflop raised with 22. Should I have check raised at this point instead of calling?

Turn card came 7h and gave a second flush draw but I didn't think he was drawing. I had decided to check raise the turn but had to call the all in instead. I believed I was in front and that he was drawing to two outs (pocket pair) or three outs (AQ or AK) max. I think I had to call but should I have bet/shoved first on the turn? I don't know that he would have folded but what was the better play.

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Any reads on the guy on the button? Against a nit, I'm probably folding pre-flop; against a TAG, I'm probably calling, and against a LAG, I'm 3-betting. This guy is relatively short-stacked, so he should commit if he makes a pair.
As played, for villain to double barrel he usually has an ace. Since you have top 2, I'd check-raise the turn (or even the flop) for value if villain was deeper, expecting him to call with AJ+. Since he only had a half-pot bet left, check-calling the turn is the right play. If you donked, he would fold all his air. Let him make the mistake of getting all his money in with the worst hand.

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Andrew,

You haven't provided any reads or info on the villains, it's important to take what you know about them into consideration as the play could chang depending on this.

Knowing only their stack sizes, I would think they are weaker players. I would generally not defend by calling, if the button is loose I'd reraise to isolate him (and be willing to play for his stack), if he's tight I'd just fold.

On the flop I prefer leading out, if the BB has anything he can call before the button acts (if the button has a big ace, he'll probably raise then, which traps the BB in between you and gets that extra bet out of him). Plus by checking, you risk giving a free card to 2 players, which I really don't want to do on this board as I'm not going to like any J, Q, K, or diamond coming.

Once the button bets big, I think it's fine to check-raise him all in. He's probably not bet/folding for this size, and if that is what he's going to do then he probably wasn't going to put any more money in the pot anyway unless he draws out on you.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Any reads on the guy on the button? Against a nit, I'm probably folding pre-flop; against a TAG, I'm probably calling, and against a LAG, I'm 3-betting. This guy is relatively short-stacked, so he should commit if he makes a pair.
You were posting while I was typing.

I agree on the fold and reraise part, but not liking calling too much vs a TAG as AT doesn't play that well OOP here... we'll miss the flop 2/3rds of the time and end up check-folding a lot, and when we hit the flop we either won't get stack action when ahead, or will get it but often be behind when we do (more often than ahead when we do). My thoughts at least.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com