Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6-max zoom: QTo credible bluff on 4-bet pot?

Old
25NL 6-max zoom: QTo credible bluff on 4-bet pot? - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi all,

preflop: i open my standard on the button and the 22/19 sb with 12% 3-bet, pops my raise. I decide to 4-bet as a bluff and he calls; his range here should look like JJ+ and an occasional AK, AQ i suppose.

flop: we get a dry A26 and I decide to check back, planning to fire the next 2 streets as a bluff (if checked to of course), exactly as I would have done with all my Ax and AA as well(which are all in my range there).

turn: an irrelevant 9 hits the turn and following the plan I fire a smallish look-like-value-bet kind of bet. i get called by what now looks strongly like a big PP(don't think he would the 4-bet with weak Ax oop).

river: given his perceived range here, I decide again to go for a less than half a pot bet as I would have done with all my Ax hands here for value, or even AA for that matter. he takes a lot of timebank and makes a crying-call...

1. Is my bluff-line here credible?
2. should I have jammed the river to make it really difficult for him to call?

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi f1n,

Fold preflop. Don't go out of your way to 4b bluff a hand without an ace blocker that is easily dominated when you get called.

Next, c-bet the flop. Your bluff line is not credible. You say you would take this line with your Ax hands, but actually you wouldn't. And even if you actually would, the villain won't perceive it this way so it doesn't matter. He's ranging you on big aces or decent pairs, when you check back the flop and fail to c-bet (a very strange action for the preflop 4-bettor) you are going to get ranged as AA or pockets that don't like the ace. So if he's got an ace, or big pocket pair, he's going to check/call you down on the turn and river frequently now.

Filter your database for holdings of Ax, PFR=true, Raised preflop 3b=true, saw flop = true. This may not be many hands as a sample given the criteria, but see for the times it's come up, if you c-bet the flop or not when your 4b got flatted. If this has happened at all, you'll probably find yourself usually with AK, and usually betting the flop would be my guess. Just a way to clarify your perception of the situation and how you would handle it, if this has come up before. Again though it doesn't really matter how you would actually handle it, what matters is how the villain thinks you would. And it's such a rare occurance he won't have a specific read on you most likely for this type of spot, so will go with his preconceived notions and expectations. You will bet the flop with AK.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
Filtering through my database, I only found one hand that matches those criteria and it was a set of A that I checked back/slowplayed because I had the board smashed.

Putting that aside though, in that spot, say that I held AK, AQ; do you think that I should bet this flop against my opponent's range?
What sort of hands that he called my 4-bet preflop are excited to put more money when I c-bet an Ahigh board. Imo, it's better to try to get 2 smallish streets of value on turn and river with my AK from KK, QQ, JJ. To be honest though, hoping that my opponent thinks above this level and sees through this line of thought and fold to my small bets is a bit far-fetched.....

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Checking back with AK is a nice adjustment to get value from his range on the turn and river. But once you do it against a thinking player, make a note on them so you don't do it again the next time should the situation arise.

The reason is it makes you unbalanced. If you're checking back AA to slowplay, and AK to induce, what are you c-betting? Only bluffs/weak made hands. So future cases vs. a thinking player who makes notes, he may well flat your 4b more when deep stacked planning to raise if you c-bet the flop.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com