Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

problem i got in PSO league

Old
problem i got in PSO league - Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
so thats about the third time in row it happens to me but i guess this time it was worse ever could be, or did i do somthing wrong? i wonder what i suppose to do in PSO open league when my first hand is AKo, thats fine i raise 3b get called like from 3 ppl ace on flop i bet again and all fold, so far so good. but than after it for the next 45 mins of the tournament every fifth hand that is played in my table does NOT ends in all in of like 2-3 ppl but just pot gets to about my stack (starting 1500+500 from first hand thats 2000), and also best hands i had was 44 55 in early position so i folded and good that i did because ofc those 2 was all in like most of tournament and than i finally after 45 mins of not playing any hand get a nice best hand so far i think and watch what happends:

so.. what do you say? i know not the best hand and its not too much of a bad beat but i just couldnt play and this is not the first tournament it happends...

Last edited by rpgpro; Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
***Moved to more appropriate forum***

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
This will sound patronizing, but... you need to play more poker.

It can be a very frustrating game. You can't win every hand, or cash in every tournament. All you can do is make correct decisions, and hope that luck is on your side when your stack is on the line.
Everyone that plays will have days (or even weeks) where it seems they are completely card dead, or can't win a flip. The "variance" in poker can drive you insane if you're not careful.
You just have to learn to be patient, and accept that luck will always exist in poker. Dealing with the mental side is something many newcomers have trouble with. How you deal with bad beats can be the difference between being a long-term winner and a loser. With experience, and a little self-control, you'll be able to shake off the bad days and remain focussed when you need to. I'm afraid that whining won't get you anywhere.

Take some time off if you're tilted at the moment, but keep playing poker in the coming months. I promise you there will be much worse days than this one, but in time you'll hopefully learn to accept them. I wish you better luck in the future.

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Hiya rpgpro,

With the hand above would have been a push imo with less then 10bb
I not a fan of putting half my stack in this allowing another to call and then so on at this point if I going to bet 40% or more of my stack I shoving it in, AK was calling anyway and I assume with his stack would have called with a wide range.

As to the tourney when you play MTTs you need to adjust for the game your playing, some have shorter starting stacks, some have quicker blind levels, and so on.

Making any adjustments you need to in an MTT is a must for any MTT player you can play the Sunday million every week and have to change what your doing based on what is going on at your table.

Now you say you can not play, I think maybe your playing to tight as one of the biggest things to hurt ones chance in an MTT is blinding down.

This is just my opinion and I sure some of the regulars who plays in the league will pop in and give you there view

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#5)
thank you guys for the suggest and the tips but still not sure what should i do in such cases try heavy bluff, tighen up even more and just all in when i have the chance, or loosen up to see more flops like rest of table does?

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi rpgpro!

In a league game, I'm open-folding as I need to last longer in order to get more league points. If it were a cash tourney, I'm open-shoving. This one is a good example of where a league tourney needs to be played differently from a cash tourney.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:11 PM
(#7)
what do u mean by open-folding/open-shoving?

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#8)
If you are trying to improve your month end league standing, the key is to avoid early exits which give you negative points. A8 UTG is an easy fold.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgpro View Post
what do u mean by open-folding/open-shoving?
Hi rpgpro!

open-folding is immediately mucking may hand

open-shoving is immediately putting all my chips in

It means that I will not make any further plays during the hand, as my cards will either be mucked or I will shove all-in.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxing View Post
If you are trying to improve your month end league standing, the key is to avoid early exits which give you negative points. A8 UTG is an easy fold.

Good luck
Doug
ok thx, do u think a8 might work a raise on the button or anywhere else?

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:00 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgpro View Post
ok thx, do u think a8 might work a raise on the button or anywhere else?
In a league game, the only way I'm playing it is if I'm blinded in with it when I'm down to my last BB or if it's free from the BB.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:38 PM
(#12)
ok thx, i just played now another league got 2 hands there tell me what u think:

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:28 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
What is your goal playing in the Open Skill League tournaments? Is it to finish each tournament in the money? Is it to get into the Premier Skill League? Is it to get into the top 10 on the leaderboard? Is it to get 3 tournaments in a row in the top 400 for your Big Bang ticket? Each one of these goals requires a different approach. Good luck!

Lester

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyo View Post
What is your goal playing in the Open Skill League tournaments? Is it to finish each tournament in the money? Is it to get into the Premier Skill League? Is it to get into the top 10 on the leaderboard? Is it to get 3 tournaments in a row in the top 400 for your Big Bang ticket? Each one of these goals requires a different approach. Good luck!

Lester

THIS!

rpgpro,you have to define,for yourself,what YOUR goals are in the Open League and then adjust your play to optimize your chances of achieving those goals. And THEN adjust to the fact that many (most?) other players will be operating under a different set of goals than yours.

Different goals = different realities = different strategies.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com