Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

My Stats - First hello

Old
Question
My Stats - First hello - Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi guys,

This is my first hello and stats.

Please review them. I'll appreciate your feedback.

During current Hold`em session you were dealt 22 hands and saw flop:
- 2 out of 3 times while in big blind (%66)
- 3 outs of 3 times while in small blind (%100)
- 11 outs of 16 times while in other positions (%68)
- a total of 17 out of 23 (%83)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 6 (%83)
Pots won without showdown - 3

Thanks in advance

Sergio

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
hi sergiourra,

first of all welcome to the forums. it´s a good decision to learn about the game and to questioning your own game. as this is a poker school you have found the right place for that.

that beeing said i had a look at your stats and they look absolutely fine for 22 hands only!

please understand that poker is a game of high variance and to make some more valuable statements about your game we would need a way bigger samplesize, the number of hands should be at least 10k for some tendencies and we would also need some more detailed statistic data.

for the beginning it would be a good idea to start with reading the articles in the strategy section. this way you should get an idea how to play profit poker.

good luck at the felts

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
The Stats that Pokerstars gives you is really basic and not a great help. 22 hands is so small of a sample that it's practically useless but I can gather one thing from the stats you supplied and that is you're playing far too many pots. 83% is a VERY high number and while you've won in the short term, in the long term you will lose money.

Be more selective with what you play, play only good hands and get rid of the rest even if you've chips already in the pot.

Have a look around the forum and check out some of the basics video's.

Poker is deceptively easy to play but so complex to learn.

Try posting some of those hands you played where you won or lost chips and get some help.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
(#4)
Thank guys,

I know that it's a small sample, but Pokerschoolonline says:

1. Start the PokerStars client and play two full orbits on a play money table. That means you get the dealer button twice.
2. Copy and paste your statistics (from the "STATS" tab above the chat box) into the Beginners Forum. Ask for some feedback.
3. Read the feedback from other players and PokerSchool Online's moderators, then adjust your play accordingly.

I did send more than that.

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiourra View Post
Thank guys,

1. Start the PokerStars client and play two full orbits on a play money table. That means you get the dealer button twice.
2. Copy and paste your statistics (from the "STATS" tab above the chat box) into the Beginners Forum. Ask for some feedback.
3. Read the feedback from other players and PokerSchool Online's moderators, then adjust your play accordingly.

arrrr.... if i would have known that earlier it would have been a lot of fun to start my blog with a post like yours.

well, i suggest we now wait for the one who wrote the advise you mentioned and learn by his wisdom. my poker knowledge fails on that task.

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:26 PM
(#6)

By the way, the advise is here:

Poker-Hand-Rankings-Tutorial

Thanks for your help friends.

Cheers,

Sergio

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi there and welcome to PSO.

As already mentioned it's pretty hard to tell from so small a sample size, after a few thousand you get a better idea. 83% of flops seen is very high. Perhaps you were on a run of good cards but I'm still thinking that's too many. In a full ring game I generally play maybe 15-20%, a bit more in 6-max. So perhaps be more selective with your hands.

I also not you played every small blind. Again without knowing the hands and situation it's hard to say if it was correct or not. I would mention that the small blind can be a very difficult position to play and is a notorious spot for leaking money. Just because you have money in the pot doesn't mean you should play the hand. More often than not it's best to fold all but the best hands here. If it's folded round to you then it can be a good spot to steal but again this is situation/player dependant.

Hope this helps and best of luck at the tables

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 07:58 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Hello there,

Welcome to PSO

Looks like your willing to improve which means your in the right place, check out some of the videos and tutorials to get you started also this post may help you find your way

cheers,

Ads

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 08:45 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiourra View Post
Thank guys,

ROFL ... I don't know why, but this cracks me up
Ahhh, I needed to laugh ...

First off, welcome sergiourra ... hola!

When I first started playing poker, I would play about 83% of all hands too ... actually I probably played even more than that

And it was people at PSO who helped me figure out which hands I should just fold pre-flop.

So many great players who have responded in this thread ... if you still remember some of the hands you played, then they ought to be able to give you more specific info on which hands to play?

Post-flop though, it looks like you're doing really well! Winning 86% of hands you're going to showdown with is amazing!! Wish I were doing that well now lol!!

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sergiourra!

Those numbers are really high. I try to aim for about 20% of flops seen, with the SB being the seat at the table where I want to play the least number of hands, due to the positional disadvantage.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Okay, now I see where that advice came from and I too am laughing. Now for a bit of serious.

Based on these numbers:

1 --- either nobody had a good hand or everyone just checked when you were the BB. In a way, that is good. You're already in the hand and if others are letting you play on the cheap, consider it a blessing. As last to act, think about your hand. If you caught a group one or two hand, raise. Even a BB raise will cut the field, at least that's my experience.

2 --- one of my biggest leaks was a dumb mindset. I figured I'm already half in, may as well go the other half. Bad idea. You are better off saving that half blind for a later raise. Like the BB, consider calling only if you have a group one or two hand. Depending on the number of players still in the hand, consider raising if you do have one of those hands.

3 --- a heavy percentage here that signifies either one is getting great cards or is too loose. Again, consider your hand before playing. There is no shame folding.

4 --- A tight player will try maintaining a percentage around the 20% mark. You'll be better able to assess your playing style with more hand. Also, the game played will affect these stats. For a ring game, these numbers might be good. Have those stats in a tourney, and you're either doubling-up early or destined for an early exit.

5 --- maintain these records for a lot more hands to get a better handle on your style. If you have a tendency to do different games, SNG, ring, MTT, and STT, keep your records by the game type. As I said, you'll find good numbers in one game suck for another style of game.

6 --- I mentioned hand groups. Learn to identify these hand and know the basic strategy for each. Experience will help you learn when to expand or contract your range. Just an example: The advice for group four is to fold to raisers. If I have an aggressive player, I might play these if the flop is cheap, say no more than triple the blind and I have position on him/her.

7 --- examine your stats after a thousand ring hands or 100 similar tourneys. Those will give a better gauge to your play and might prove helpful.

PS:
I do a big statistical review of my play in this forum and I'm by no means an expert. More of a moronic duffer at times with moments of intelligence. Check it out by looking for my topic "Stats to Drown In." Should be no further back than page 4.

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
22 hands is such a small sample as to be meaningless, as already said.

I don't even see 83% of flops if I'm playing heads up!
The basic advice here is FOLD MORE OFTEN, particularly in the blinds, which are the worst seats. (Position is king!)
If you're seeing 83% of flops, you're probably VPIP-ing close to 100%, which is ridiculous. In the longer term, you'll only be dealt a playable hand about 20% of the time, and even then you often won't see a flop, because you either raised and didn't get called, or someone else (re-)raised, so you folded before the flop.
Generally speaking, you should be mostly folding (80%), raising 10-15%, and hardly ever calling, especially open-limping. Fold a few hands and watch what other hands win pots. Hands you're probably playing at the moment that look pretty (43s, KT) do not make money in the long run.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com